user profile
Sign in
user profile

ULine's high shipping charges

by Seller_mg5N0syb16ZqJ

For the last several years I’ve been buying pretty much all of my shipping supplies using Amazon Prime so I get free shipping. This morning I decided to peruse a ULine catalog that showed up in the mail to see what sort of deals they might have, particularly on shipping boxes as they’re the most expensive part of my shipping process. I looked up a similar size box to what I buy thru Amazon and was pleasantly surprised to see I could get it through ULine for about 40% cheaper. But then when I went to check out I was surprised (or perhaps not so surprised) to see that ULine wanted to charge me $54 for 1-day UPS shipping. There were no other cheaper options available. With the shipping charges, it would make the costs the same as Amazon. Not much point in it.

Am I missing something in trying to purchase supplies through ULine, or is this just how they do business? Maybe I’m just not trying to order a high enough volume?

Tags: Prime, Shipping, UPS
3.3K views
122 replies
122 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_RdXLGelNrPb9o
In reply to: Seller_mg5N0syb16ZqJ's post

They have warehouses all over. 1 day shipping is not really necessary as it ships from the closest warehouse so by ground its usually 1 or 2 days. However there are a lot of packaging suppliers around that are much cheaper. I buy locally myself and save on the shipping as i pick it up. Google is your friend here. Search packaging supplies in your state.

user profile
Seller_olet7eVOHxQZd

Shipping big bulky items like boxes is extremely expensive. I assume they only offered 1 day shipping because you happen to be in a 1 day zone.

People post Uline’s free shipping discount code all the time (changes monthly I think) but it requires a $300 order.

We source most of our boxes local. Delivery costs $7 or we can go pick them up but my time is worth more than $7.

user profile
Seller_d7Z0MKOJalf7S

At times Uline will give a free shipping code for orders over a certain amount. (usually $300 or $500)

user profile
Seller_Hi7wbO2Kbo6bl

A few people are grandfathered in to Uline so that any order over $x (around $300 usually) has free shipping.

And, from time to time, Uline runs free shipping coupons. You will usually find a thread on the forum when they do.

user profile
Seller_MwQM4lQtz6J2K

That’s their business model. Most their margin they make is from over-charging shipping.

I’d highly advise only ordering bulk and combining as much future supplies as possible into one order.

user profile
Seller_35ITnkgiDIbw3

We get free shipping on any order over $300, but you need to negotiate that with them.

user profile
Seller_YXgVBdOq6XDe3

ULine will price match and some times you can find/get a free shipping coupon.

user profile
Seller_mg5N0syb16ZqJ

Sounds like keeping an eye out for one of these free shipping coupons is what I need to do. That would definitely make it worth it if I could qualify for free shipping. I’ll investigate further. Thanks for the tips!

user profile
Seller_vd7aHYm658OOc

All of Uline falls within the 1- day so they can use ground. However, it is expensive for them to ship boxes because of the size. Also, there is a sweet spot when it comes to boxes. We purchase a 28 x 18 x 18 box from them 20 at a time because to ship 30 or more the freight jumps up over twice as much.

Uline is a fantastic company to do business with. We have been with them for 13 years now. They do charge shipping for every item they ship you, as do many companies… They have to build that in with Amazon to compensate for the cut Amazon takes.

user profile
Seller_7pogQg5mgIiSP

I use a local supply house here in Las Vegas. They get same inventory as U-Line. I can pick it up or they will deliver. Deliveries over a certain amount are free. Check Google. I also get boxes from a local U=Haul. He discounts them to me below U Line. You have to negotiate with them in person, but I have been doing this for years for large boxes for art and mirrors.

Go to original post