user profile
Sign in
user profile

Changes to listing requirements to improve the shopping experience

by News_Amazon

Starting December 11, 2023, the requirements to create listings will change for all products in Amazon’s worldwide stores (1750 types) except those from media, digital and handmade categories. Impacted product types and attributes are available in this spreadsheet.

These updates will reduce listing errors caused when attributes are required but may not be marked as "required" when you list a product. The changes are also designed to help customers make more informed purchase decisions.

Important note: Your existing listings won't be affected.

These changes will apply when you create a new listing. When you edit an existing listing, you may be asked to provide additional information to meet the new requirements. You can continue to update your prices and inventory levels using the Manage Inventory page, or price and quantity templates, as usual.

The following changes will gradually roll out to all sellers between December 11, 2023 and February 1, 2024:

• Add Products: As the changes roll out, sellers who use the "Add Products" page will see updated requirements when they create or edit listings. Note: If you see a required attribute that isn’t relevant for your product, alert us by hovering over the "?" next to the attribute and selecting the "Irrelevant attribute" option. The team will use this feedback to determine if the attribute should be made optional or removed.
  • Add Products via Upload: From December 11, all sellers who use "Add Products via Upload" can choose to upgrade to new listing templates with updated attribute requirements. When you select a product category for your listing, you’ll see a banner with a link to download the new template. However, we will continue to accept listing submissions using templates with the previous requirements. To download the previous template, click the toggle button on the top right of the banner. We’ll give you at least 30 days’ notice on the Add Products via Upload page before the updated template becomes the default option.

We welcome your feedback on these updates and will monitor Seller Forums for reports of any issues.

For more information, go to Updated attributes within the Add Products and Add Products via Upload interface.

Tags: News and Announcements
17 replies
17 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_Ha6JyVvDK6Ybs
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

I have not been able to get a listing made for years. I can not even get Amazon to correct a listing that has errors, wrong brand etc. But I can also get these same item which are unable to list on Amazon listed everywhere else! So either war my items are being sold just Amazon does not wish to be the one stop shop like it was in the past. Maybe Amazon should post if you are not THE BRAND OWNER don't even waste your time trying to add or updating incorrect information. Maybe just make listing option not an option unless you are the so call brand owner because the way you handle listings saying only brand owner can edit why even have is an option for all of us bottom dwellers.

user profile
Seller_hRdIsuFeugR4A
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_Ggt6s7zXEwLbA

Basketball hoops need to state if they contain liquid.

Basketball hoops need to state what sport they are for. Hmmm. Hockey?

Bean Bag Chairs need to state if they are fragile.

Beds need to state if fragile. Is Amazon going to start selling fragile beds? And who would sell them?

Bicycle lights need to describe their fabric.

Bottle openers need to state if they contain liquid. But bottles don't.

A bucket needs a product compliance certificate. For what?

Cookie cutters need to state if they have liquid. I'll stop here. Just do a search for liquid in the spreadsheet. It's mindboggling. Did seller support put this garbage together?

Drinking straws. Drill bits. Electric fans. Fishing line All need to state if contain liquid.. It would be hilarious if not for the zillion wasted hours and headaches such idiocy inflicts upon sellers.

user profile
Seller_NTtgyr4S9sRAA

I'm really glad Amazon is doing even more terrible awful things to the catalog. I mean the last round six months ago made it effectively impossible to list shirts for months because they REQUIRED waist size but wouldn't allow neck size. BUT if you just said "meh I'll just put in some BS waist size" it would kick the feed back on you with error "shirts don't have a waist size".

Then that got fixed and the same day Swim Trunks started requiring neck size. And wouldn't you know it, the feed system would then kick it back because Swim Trunks can't have a neck size...

Super glad the G squad is here to make sure the Amazon catalog continues it's stunningly rapid slide into being the world's worst flea market.

user profile
Seller_2LQMd7u0WyTlL

"Improving the shopping experience" - that would require Amazon to first take a really hard look at what they are doing in the catalog and search from the buyer's experience. There are ways to do this professionally, you know. It's called usability testing. You can hire experts to do this, even focus groups. The goal would be to allow customers to find what they are looking for! As simple as that. Then, when that is solved, fancy projects like adding listing requirements could be tackled.

user profile
Seller_z1JDNz6de1lqc

Must be either a Joke or next phase to make sure nothing gets listed or fixed Amazon does not make improvements for the better.

user profile
Seller_iobipI6xASRkh

The spreadsheet of impacted product types only goes to the letter G.

I am assuming that since there are 1750 product types that this spreadsheet is incomplete?

user profile
Seller_4FEHZiGTpEMxr

I concur with the sentiment here.

"Low inventory" is at the mercy of suppliers and market factors. It's not like most sellers are just hanging on to a bunch of inventory and shipping whenever they feel like it. Because our costs are so high everywhere, we try to JIT inventory just like Amazon does.

It's Amazon's choice to store inventory close to buyers. We cannot control that choice, but now we're being charged for it. Fees are reduced on apparel because of Shein, but only on really cheap stuff. On the other stuff, you still get dumped on.

I'm still on the genius of FBA: Amazon charged all it's sellers for the infrastructure that it uses to sell product at a price lower than theirs. Maybe they'll get rid of us altogether. The BEST thing they could do is get out of retail entirely. They'd make more.

user profile
Seller_5gAS6gIh0PdNL

I feel like Amazon have been hiring computer science engineers from 2000s to do these jobs. They like this new software called excel so much, and can't wait to play with it.

user profile
Seller_IlPjCZLKNTFOz

Just when I thought it was impossible that Amazon would make their catalog experience any worse, here we are.

You people need to get out of your ivory tower and talk to real sellers. This is trash.

Speaking of trash, so is the new low inventory fee you guys want to implement. I would love to meet the paper pusher or bean counter that came up with that genius strategy.

I really hate to be negative here but come on... You don't want us third party sellers here anymore and it's very obvious. That is until you push us all out and you no longer have the vast product selection or idiots like us to basically fund your inventory.

Shame on your Amazon.

Go to original post