Handmade Community

20025 members
6927 discussions
You are not a member of this group
user profile

Tarnish problems FBA

by Seller_umpLFrxn8qHYX
in Handmade Community group

I have been totally changing up my FBA procedures based on problems I am having on tarnishing with a hand full of items.

I had a number of Stud earrings I was making from .999 fine silver bezels and sterling silver studs. After approximately 30 - 45 days, I recalled some items and the bezels were nearly black. I had them in standard craft paper jewelry boxes with faux cotton, a tarnish tab and then heat sealed poly bag. I have them stored in my shop in open air, in a plastic drawer bin and they can go 6 months before showing any discoloration so I am at a loss as to what is going on.

I have done some testing in different boxes, sealed, unsealed, tarnish tab, no tarnish tab etc. etc, but do not have clear results yet based on time.

In the meantime, I have made the following changes:

Changed bezel and studs to Argentium 935

Package the studs on a card and then insert it into an Intercept tarnish proof bag with a 3M tarnish tab and then heat seal. Then I box and poly this and heat seal and FBA label.

I have a number of polished Argentium items that I don’t give near this protection that do not have problems so I’m hoping the Argentium on these will be the final solution.

I’m hoping this will cure the problem and give some more longevity to the inventory. I mostly send small amounts but this really upsets the sales flow as most are good sellers.

Please share similar experiences, ideas, course of action.

TIA,
Wade

Tags: Buy Box
85 replies
85 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_w7aFlZ6HQ264o
In reply to: Seller_umpLFrxn8qHYX's post

We coat all of our jewelry to prevent tarnish, depending on the conditions at the fulfillment center there might not be much you can do to prevent tarnishing in the long term. Changing alloys is a good idea to a deoxidized alloy that will be more tarnish resistant. You are doing what we would do, keep trying different combinations of packaging until you find something that works. Some of the “fake” packaging materials actual will cause tarnish because they off gas some of the chemicals used to make them like ketones and formaldehyde.

user profile
Seller_K8NVzk1ikUy2G

When I buy cotton lined boxes from Uline , no tarnish. Then I buy boxes from Nile I get tarnish. I wish, wish, wish Uline had a cheaper shipping option. They ship overnight. I plan ahead and do not need overnight shipping. Even picking up at their dock is $25. It’s crazy.

Edited by: Qwisp on Jan 28, 2018 8:50 AM

user profile
Seller_cy9errRioq6yi

Get some mil-std. anti-tarnish/rust/oxidation packaging that is heat seal close. Places like Uline should carry it but I may be incorrect. I have used it for packaging machined parts that are highly susceptible to tarnishing, rusting, oxidation for long term storage. Been a long time since I have purchased any but I think Uline carries it but you might check google for mil-std. packaging. The stuff works great and comes on rolls to make small bags with by heat sealing both ends.

user profile
Seller_la6yWqhB9Jzwb

OP I’m doing similar to your new version, only difference is I wrap them in jewelers tissue first then pop them in the intercept baggie with the tarnish tab (then box and poly bag). That seems to keep things good up to the LTSF point, and then I remove them as a non-seller anyway.

I used to use larger intercept bags as my outer poly, but then I didn’t have confidence past about the 3 month mark. I’ve never had stuff come back black, but certainly “going”.

I did just pull back two returns recently though… they were items that were less than 2 months old: I had made them and shipped to the FC in early December. They were bought and returned within 2 weeks, and they were back in their intercept baggies when I got them back from the removal order. Both were very brown. Makes no sense. Even if the customers left them out in open air for 2 weeks that should not have happened (the spool of chain on my desk has seen more daylight than they have). I could have left both necklaces unpacked on my desk for 2 months and they’d still look fine.

So I give up! I’m doing more than most, and as much as is reasonable. I include a little printed note about caring for silver, and mention that they baggie they are in is intended to keep their items looking new, etc.

My home storage is just items in regular baggies, then in boxes for sorting, and I live in FL so even with AC the average humidity here is ~50%, and I’m within 2 miles to the ocean… so if any air was ripe for tarnishing it’s here.

Question on your change in silver though: Argentium should resist tarnishing better than 925 sterling, but if 999 fine is tarnishing then isn’t argentium actually a step backwards?

Qwisp, I get boxes on amazon now, mainly from Packaging Trust. Nilecorp is cheap too, usually no shipping. Rio has a good selection too if you are buying other supplies anyway to absorb their shipping costs.

user profile
Seller_IhnvbCacmJlG0

For what little help it might be, my experience:

I need only look at metals for them to tarnish. I am more acidic than most (mosquitos love me; I’m very popular at summer cookouts because I am a human bug light; they leave everyone else alone). I am convinced there’s a connection.

So, perhaps Aerides’ customers were like me. If they tried on the jewelry, wore it a bit, decided against it, that would be enough. The oils and whatnot from their persons remained on the pieces and tarnish got underway.

I was so excited when argentium was introduced. I bought a bunch because I love a mixed metal look. I noticed no improvement in terms of tarnish resistance. Mind you, my handling the pieces as I made them was the factor. But against chemistry like mine, argentium made no difference.

Boxes with tarnish-resistant “cotton” pads have a huge impact. I no longer buy from Store Supply Warehouse because their material (chipboard or pads, not sure which) are super tarnish friendly. These days I spend more and the results are much better. And mind you, I’m talking tarnish on 14K Gold Filled, which will tarnish/dull.

user profile
Seller_OsNOirT3vzmTK

YES YES YES!!! I had this problem in the WORST WAY when I started on FBA! I could NOT figure out a viable solution! Amazon customer service would insist that they were “researching the issue” and they would send me an “update” with that same exact into every week or so for over 5 months… I finally closed the case…

I replicated my packaging EXACTLY and let it “sit” in my studio for a month, and it would have NO tarnish. But, just a few weeks in the warehouses, and even my silver-PLATED items would come back PITCH BLACK!! (photo attached above)

I also used tarnish strips, the intercept bags, even include silver cleaning instructions & polishing clothes. I also tried Renaissance Wax. But was I was still getting returns for “defective” BLACK items.

The ONLY solution that has worked for me: I now go through a tedious process of DIPPING TWICE all of my sterling and silver-plated items in ProtectaClear (lol, available on Amazon).

For anything with sterling silver chains: I gave up & now only sell those items via FBM, unfortunately.

I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this, but I’m actually relieved to know that I’m not the ONLY one who has had this incredibly frustrating problem!

Edited by: Shy Siren on Jan 28, 2018 12:27 PM

Edited by: Shy Siren on Jan 28, 2018 12:31 PM

user profile
Seller_jr55qh0Rd710N

I remember something like SILVER SAVER rolls/bags on Uline. They are supposed to remove sulfite vapors.

I have not used this product and so won’t know the efficacy of it.

user profile
Seller_IhnvbCacmJlG0

Just as we have a private forum (one of the very few), Marketplace jewelry sellers have one. I don’t know if any Handmade jewelry sellers have access.

I have read references in jewelry threads on the General Selling forum to the fact that there at one point in time was a dedicated warehouse, or at least section of a warehouse, where FBA jewelry was kept under controlled conditions.

This can no longer be the case. There’s simply too much product, and with the 2-day Prime promise, it would be unsustainable.

I wonder though if there are places the jewelry designated as “fine” on the marketplace goes for storage, and everything else (including Handmade jewelry, much of it made with materials deemed “fine” by Amazon) is just jumbled in with everything else.

I would like to know, that’s all. Meanwhile, even though most of mine is 14K gold filled, I’ve sent in some raw brass. I plan to start a spreadsheet to track and recall stuff after say 3 mos, just in case.

user profile
Seller_jehakDkLgU0Bt

self edited

user profile
Seller_AtqFYSF6GmuXh

I have been through all of this as well. I make sure and wash my hands constantly as the oils will make things tarnish faster. I also do not include earring cards with my FBA orders. I simple put the items directly on the anti tarnish tab with nothing else int he package. the front of the earrings touch the tab. Then I wrap very tightly with jewelrys paper. Then slip in the smallest zip bag it will go in and push out any extra air. Then put this in a jewelry box and another larger zip bag. This has worked best for me. The key is:
1- wash hands a LOT
2- no extra stuff like earring cards
3- recall after 3 months

Go to original post