user profile
Sign in
user profile

"Bought in past week or month" displaying to customers

by Seller_hb0LWTDQNWeaB

Hi all,

This is my first time posting here and I have not seen anyone concerned with the issue I have. If you check Amazon’s website on your app (not sure about desktop) it is now displaying on the search results page the amount of items “bought in past week” or month. Is anyone else concerned with this? It is showing 1/2 to 1/3 or less of my actual sales, and I am a small business up against larger companies, so already the amount of reviews I have are lower and now it’s showing lower sales.

I feel as if Amazon sellers already have so much to compete and go up against, the last thing we need is another deciding factor for a customer purchasing, especially one that is inconsistent and incorrect. I’ve never heard of another retailer displaying this type of information to its customers.

Does anyone else agree? Also, are your numbers that are being displayed majorly incorrect? I have submitted a request to seller support, but I feel as if there were other sellers to do so we may be able to send enough feedback to get it fixed or have this “feature” removed/reevaluated.”

Thank you for your time.

Tags: Amazon business, New brand, New product line, New products, Search
7 replies
7 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_rI7BZIczK8iAC
In reply to: Seller_hb0LWTDQNWeaB's post

Yes I have seen this too for 2-3 days. today it disappeared again. In my niche there was "100+ bought last 30 days". It is beginning with 50+.

Okay, as long as you are "in the numbers" it's nice for the seller. But less nice for the others, I agree.

user profile
Seller_ERFs9dRLIPzjO

I completely agree. I feel it is a disadvantage to smaller businesses. If your sales are 1K and your competitor's sales are 40K customers will buy that product.

Seems like unnecessary information that favors big businesses.

I agree that the displayed quantity is incorrect.

user profile
Seller_ufFO1smybJ7F8

Yes, the numbers we are showing in the “bought in past week” are horribly wrong.

Are you still experiencing this issue?

user profile
Seller_ufFO1smybJ7F8

We have noticed the sales figures showing in the “X bought in the past week/month” for our category "Water Bottles" is grossly off/incorrect.

For example - Simple Modern does nearly 4X the sales as Zulu. However, Amazon shows Simple Modern does "50+ bought in past week" and Zulu does "1K+ in past week".

If the discrepancy was small it would not be a big deal,+/- 50 units, but this level of inaccuracy is almost egregious. This creates an unfair advantage for the sellers who have the inflated sales numbers and an unfair hindrance to sellers who have deflated sales numbers.

Either way this creates a very negative experience for customers and sways them to or away from products based on data that is not valid/correct. Is there a way for sellers who are affected by this to have some kind of resolution?

In addition, the “X bought in the past week/month” does not show on all listings in SERP. This is giving some competitors an unfair advantage and others an unfair disadvantage. I can't fathom how this isn't anti-competitive?

Has anyone else noticed negative impact from this "experimental feature"?

user profile
Seller_aM7P5U7WUu86y

This is what I wanted to express my concern about today. My sales have slowed and my handmade items are next to other sellers in search (which have copied my unique product sizes), mass produced the items, and are selling "600+ bought in the past month." No wonder my sales are disappearing. This is awful. This manipulates customers to go with everyone else is buying this so you should too. Handmade cannot compete with this. Please go back to the straightforward review system showing the stars and number of reviews. This abbreviated rating "code" system is weird to read.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post