user profile
Sign in
user profile

Compatible with other brand

by Seller_LHlFum8PGAWHC

Hi,
I am selling teleprompter monitors that are designed to be compatible with other brand teleprompters. By analogy (for anyone not familiar with the mechanics of my product) my teleprompter monitors are akin to a the head of an electric toothbrush, and the teleprompter itself is akin to the body of the electric toothbrush.
Rather than risk having my seller account suspended - I would like to get permission in advance and I have read conflicting information on this subject.
Below, my brand is Silverback. The competitors brands are Telescript, Autocue / QTV, and Listec.
I would like to say: "Silverback monitor, compatible with Telescript, Autocue / QTV, and Listec Teleprompters).
Is this allowable? I would appreciate any 100% knowledgeable answers in the affirmative or the negative, but speculation wouldn’t help me much here since I want to know the answer. Ideally, I would get permission in advance of posting my listing.
Thanks!

Tags: Listings
5 replies
5 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_8Wfpcf6cHQaPy
In reply to: Seller_LHlFum8PGAWHC's post

Although this is directly related to Amazon brands, it offers good examples of what is and what is not permitted:
Amazon Devices: Fair Use and Compatibility Guidelines.

Seems almost identical, minus the word Amazon, in the title: Fair Use and Compatibility Guidelines.

user profile
Seller_mg5N0syb16ZqJ

That’s the precise model I use, and I’ve not had problems so far. There’s no need to ask for permission from the other brand, but you can try if it’ll make you feel better.

user profile
Seller_Cz6rGD9wh7hUS

Search Seller University for: Amazon Intellectual Property Policy

Do I always need the rights owner’s permission to use a trademark in the creation of a detail page?
Just because you are not the owner of a trademark does not necessarily mean that you cannot sell another company’s product. Usually, the unauthorized use of a trademark in the creation of a detail page is infringing only if it is likely to cause confusion as to the source, endorsement, or affiliation of the goods.

Example: If you are selling a genuine Pinzon sheet set and you are advertising the product as a Pinzon sheet set, you might not be causing confusion as to the source or affiliation of the goods (i.e., Pinzon) and, if not, are not infringing on the Pinzon trademark.

As a seller, when can I use someone else’s trademark in the creation of a detail page?
Typically, a seller can use someone else’s trademark in the following circumstances:
When selling authentic goods, a seller may use a trademarked name to list those goods. For example, a seller who lists an authentic “Pinzon” product is not necessarily infringing on the owner of the Pinzon trademark because the seller is using the trademark to identify an authentic product.
When using a trademarked word in its ordinary dictionary meaning.
When making truthful statements that a product is compatible with a trademarked product. For example, if a seller offers a specialty cable that is compatible with the Kindle E-reader, and states that the cable is “compatible with Kindle,” this generally is not trademark infringement as long as the statement is true and not confusing. Note, however, that “similar to” claims (such as stating that goods are “similar to Kindle” or “better than Kindle”) are against Amazon listing policy.
How can I make sure that I am not violating trademark law when selling on Amazon?
It is important to make sure that the goods you are selling, and the content of your listings, do not violate a trademark or you could lose your selling privileges and face potential legal consequences. When you decide to sell goods on Amazon, ask yourself the following questions:
Are the goods I am selling from a reputable distributor?
How did I acquire these goods, and will I be able to prove they are authentic if the question arises?
Will the way I am describing these goods cause customer confusion (for example, would something about your detail page for the generic sheet set cause customers to believe they are purchasing a Pinzon sheet set)?
Did I use a brand name or trademark in a non-confusing and truthful manner to describe compatibility (generally allowed) instead of similarity (not allowed)?

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post