user profile
Sign in
user profile

Happy Returnuary! What ridiculous return reasons are you guys seeing?

by Seller_avQeLZXt79X3B

Here’s my latest. A customer created a return for a t-shirt with reason “Inaccurate website description”. In the comment, they wrote “more cottony then expected”. The first description bullet for this t-shirt is literally “100% cotton” (and nothing else). And now according to Amazon rules, I can’t charge restocking fees (and shouldn’t withhold return shipping) because they used the backdoor that allows free returns for any bogus reason. Of course, this is a seasonal design on a size that I won’t be able to sell again maybe ever.

What are some other ridiculous reasons you guys are taking unnecessary losses this season?

Tags: Fees
139 replies
139 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_kXv48QpoEnuNf
In reply to: Seller_avQeLZXt79X3B's post

We had a cookbook that said misleading desc. She said the recipes were to hard to understand

user profile
Seller_la6yWqhB9Jzwb

I had a (not marked but I know it was) gift return just show up in my mailbox:

Customer hadn’t indicated it was a gift, clearly never mentioned to recipient to expect something from random amazon seller, and recipient never thought, in the middle of december “oh hmmm nice earrings, maybe that’s a gift from uncle charlie”.

Nope, just sent it back with a note, “i didn’t order this don’t charge me!!!”

user profile
Seller_hA060q8nqygew

I have never been a believer in processing returns according to the reason the buyer chose if that isn’t the actual reason for the return. Why don’t you just process the return as what it is - a discretionary one, and withhold restocking fees and return shipping?

There’s no Amazon rule that I’m aware of that says you have to process a return as seller-faulted if it is NOT, even if that’s what the buyer’s return reason suggests.

How many people pay that much attention to what drop-down lists say when they’re forced to make a selection, or give a darn if they pick the right choice or not? Not being allowed to move on until you pick something is annoying, and I’m sure many people just pick something randomly so they can get past that screen.

Don’t put a lot of stock in what reason the buyer chose - just process the return as what it is. It’s advisable to have your return policies spelled out in the returns section so buyers know there may be re-stocking fees and shipping withheld, estimates of how much, and when they are applied.

The biggest issue most people have with fees isn’t that they’re charged - but that they weren’t notified up front that they would be charged.

user profile
Seller_hXiz9WEBcgZSC

Better price after Christmas.

user profile
Seller_j1NiizhsjJNHC

No returns to make mention of here. I would like to have a choice of other so I could write my own reason for returning stuff. ______________
Dwight

user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

Regardless of the return reason the buyer uses, we deduct the cost of the return and restocking fee from each return unless there was a legitimate problem. Rarely do we encounter a problem doing it this way.

user profile
Seller_BLrc4tDDpExWd

Had a return request on the other site for AA batteries. In the request it said “these aren’t 9v batteries”.

I opened dialogue with the buyer to try to resolve the issue. She stated she specifically ordered 9v batteries from me and received AA’s instead. I explained that I have never sold 9v batteries, ever. And also suggested that maybe she is confusing me with another seller.

She was insistent that she ordered 9v from me, so I approved the return just to avoid the backlash.

I got the return back yesterday. She sent me a 9v battery still in the packaging, with a piece of wrapping paper still stuck on the back of the box.

I’m confused! Lol

user profile
Seller_Pcuh0p0lLOQER

I wholeheartedly agree with @racingroxstore . It is usually blatant when a buyer is using loopholes to get around paying for the return shipping and/or trying to avoid restocking fees. When I see this abuse I send something similar to this when authorizing the return:

Hi

Sorry to hear that you feel there was a description problem with the listing. Typical of (whatever), this widget has a +/- size tolerance which is clearly stated on the listing. I am sure this is the discrepancy you are referring to. Regardless, as per Amazon policy I have authorized the return and I am providing you with an prepaid return label. Please make sure that you return the item in the same new condition that you received it so that I can issue you the proper refund upon receipt. As per Amazon policy, there will be a restocking fee or a return label charge of (insert $ cost) if the material was as described or is returned damaged, scratched, used or altered in any way. In addition and as per Amazon policy, there might be a restocking fee if the material is not returned in the original packaging so please ship it protected in the same manner that I shipped it to you. I am a one person operation so I assure you I will personally process the return immediately upon receipt. If there is anything that I can help you with please do not hesitate contacting me via Amazon. Thanks for your purchase and thanks for making me one of your preferred vendors on Amazon. I look forward to doing more business with you in the future.

Sincerely

I adjust the verbiage as needed for returns with Item not as described or Inaccurate Website description. This way you are clearly letting the buyer know the terms of the return before he drops it in the mail.

Feel free to plagiarize

user profile
Seller_6we6JlLz0iF2P

There are ways around this.

Are you on auto-approve return for the ASIN?

user profile
Seller_G53rrrmDqxLLo

Christmas ornaments, " No Longer Needed". Imagine that.

Go to original post