Seller Account
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Amazon Seller Community Archive » Seller Discussions » Third-Party Software & Services

Thread: Shipping supply alternatives to Uline?
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 28 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 28 May, 2010 12:56 PM by: Forums User Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Forums User

Posted on: 19 May, 2010 9:18 PM
Click to report abuse...
elphaba_www_books wrote:

After many years of dealing with Uline's BS I'd like to move on and find another source of shipping supplies. I'm specifically looking for small boxes and what's called a "rigid mailer." I don't use bubble mailers. I already use Multi-Ds, but they aren't appropriate for all my needs.

Can anyone suggest another company? I buy in bulk - usually at least 1000 pieces at a time - and generally don't spend more than 40 cents each for any specific item regardless of size.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer a suggestion.
Forums User

Posted on: 19 May, 2010 9:55 PM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
d_callahan wrote:

Try finding someone local.

Back when I was using bubble mailers, UPS accidentally shipped my order to the neighboring packaging supply company so their salesman ended up bringing them to me and we got to talking about my packaging needs. They couldn't even come close to competitive on mailers, but he came up with some sample boxes (they make their own) that I could have in custom sizes for 35-40 cents in runs as small as 1000 (and no shipping since I can see them out my warehouse door).

But the samples were extremely heavy weight cardboard making the box weights over half a pound empty and when I requested lighter weight stock (like an Amazon single-book box) he insisted that I really wanted the heavy stuff - but not wanting the postage costs of so many items boosted to the next pound, I declined and continue to scrounge beer boxes from the convenience store dumpster to cut up and score to neatly fold around my books.

Though it didn't work out for me, you might be luckier in finding someone local that will work with you to get the boxes you need at an affordable price.
Forums User

Posted on: 20 May, 2010 4:08 AM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
tomes_in_the_attic wrote:

I have found it impossible to find affordable boxes for shipping books that I like. They usually don't come in the right size or are very expensive, without factoring in the high costs of having them shipped to me. I have been compromising for over six years now with boxes.

I use Multi-D because of the low cost, but don't really like them for many of my hardcover books. I think they're just fine for softcovers and some hardcovers, but not for the majority of hardcovers I sell.

I use bookfolds from U-Line which are very expensive when you factor in the shipping costs. They are not ideal, but are a compromise. At least the depth is adjustable. They require a lot of tape to put together though.

Dale
Forums User

Posted on: 20 May, 2010 4:50 AM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
chesterchicken wrote:

I used Linton before I went to Uline. they are located in GA but they are just drop shippers for various suppliers. When you order from them whatever you buy is shipped from the nearest facility to you. They are online or toll free phone.
if you google the particular type of container you are looking for you will get a bunch of things to look at.
I am surprised to hear you had a problem with Uline. their phone customer service has always been excellent for me.
Forums User

Posted on: 22 May, 2010 3:17 AM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
scifi-collector wrote:

I use papermart (dot com).
Forums User

Posted on: 22 May, 2010 4:24 AM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
suttonbooks wrote:

We used Uline for a long time, and still get our personalized labels from them (since they have our template and it is simple to call them and ask for more). But that was when we lived relatively near their warehouse and could pick things up ourselves, since their postage costs are breathtakingly high. Now we use eSupplystore.com for most things and have found that they have reliably good quality products. Haven't tried their rigid mailers or boxes, but for bubble mailers they are fast on delivery and relatively inexpensive. Susannah
Forums User

Posted on: 23 May, 2010 7:51 AM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
mr_koreander wrote:

Try jitdw.com (was Central Pack) for inexpensive boxes ...e.g.. I use a lot of M961 (9.5 x 6.5 x 0.625 - 1.5) .... 29 cents @ incl shipping.... nothing fancy: no outer package, no catalog AFAIK...

Dennis
Forums User

Posted on: 23 May, 2010 9:29 PM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
nextgen_gamer wrote:

If you spend $300 with Uline they give you free shipping. Not too difficult to do if you plan ahead.
Forums User

Posted on: 23 May, 2010 9:36 PM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
txangel12 wrote:

Yikes, why don't you like U-Line?

I've used them for years (for my former business) and use them now for this.

Of course, it helps that they are in town, so I don't pay shipping on anything, but still, the service has always been great.
Forums User

Posted on: 23 May, 2010 9:52 PM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
marilynsattic wrote:

I use bookfolds from U-Line which are very expensive
when you factor in the shipping costs. They are not
ideal, but are a compromise. At least the depth is
adjustable. They require a lot of tape to put
together though.

Dale

You do know that Uline offers free shipping on all orders over $300? You just need to request it.
Forums User

Posted on: 24 May, 2010 12:05 AM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...

I don't have the space to order that many supplies.

Dale
Forums User

Posted on: 24 May, 2010 12:09 AM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...

Yikes, why don't you like U-Line?

I've used them for years (for my former business) and
use them now for this.

Of course, it helps that they are in town, so I don't
pay shipping on anything, but still, the service has
always been great.

Do you know how much the shipping adds to the cost? It can double the price of an envelope. They do make great products, but with shipping, the prices are through the roof. For example, a No. 1 Kraft poly lined envelope is 36 cents each.

Now if you had to pay those prices, would you still be astounded that someone is looking for a new supplier?

Dale

Forums User

Posted on: 24 May, 2010 12:17 AM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
txangel12 wrote:

Not at all, however the OP said they were tired of U-Lines "BS". Which doesn't tell me that shipping is the problem, but maybe that is the concern.

I just went and priced #1 Kraft mailers... If you order 100 cases of them, shipping is free. But then if you're ordering 100 cases, you should call to get a better price anyway. :)

At 20 cases, the cost was $30 to ship to me, but I'm local so it isn't expensive to ship the stuff via truck.
Forums User

Posted on: 24 May, 2010 2:27 AM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...

Not many people can order 20 cases of envelopes.

I don't live that far from their PA warehouse. The packages don't weigh much, but they are big, so UPS charges a lot of money.

One carton is $30 and the shipping charges are $8. That adds 8 cents per envelope. That is a lot of money to add to shipping costs.

I don't have any space to order a lot of supplies, so end up paying through the nose.

I only had one problem with U-Line. I use a lot of #1 poly bubble-lined envelopes. For some reason when they're delivered, I find a number of the flaps stuck together. The glue they use is a killer. I can't separate the envelopes without tearing them. At the price I pay per envelope, that becomes every expensive. I guess the piece of paper they have covering the glue dries up and comes off.

Dale
Forums User

Posted on: 25 May, 2010 1:07 AM   in response to: Forums User in response to: Forums User
Click to report abuse...
txangel12 wrote:

I don't have the space to order that many supplies.

Dale

$300, really? That is a few bundles of boxes, some bubble wrap/foam rolls, a box of tape, and maybe bubble mailers if you like.

How many books a month do you sell? I was under the impression that you did this for a living.

My apologises in advance if the above comes across wrong, I can't sleep. :)