Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Fulfillment By Amazon » General FBA Questions

Thread: Listing product not found in amazon. How to figure out FBA fees?
This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 13 Jan, 2018 2:56 PM by: Boardgames4Us Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
New York NY

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 9:53 AM  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,
I would really appreciate some help regarding a product that is not listed on amazon.
The product in question is selling very well on other selling sites and Ebay UK as product is from Europe.
I contacted the company and will give me wholesale price of$12.50 half off retail price $25.00

I would like to know how would I go about starting this listing. And what should I need to consider for starting such a venture.

*FBA fees
*Logistics (will be getting from Europe)
*Legalities (what type of legal issues should I be aware of?)

Anything else that I missed that you think I should add to list above?
Thank you for any and all replies and your time. It is appreciated.
Is this a helpful question? Yes 0   No
3 Replies
Sort replies by:
Boardgames4Us

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 1:54 PM   in response to: New York NY in response to: New York NY  
New York NY wrote:
Hello,
I would really appreciate some help regarding a product that is not listed on amazon.
The product in question is selling very well on other selling sites and Ebay UK as product is from Europe.
I contacted the company and will give me wholesale price of$12.50 half off retail price $25.00

I would like to know how would I go about starting this listing. And what should I need to consider for starting such a venture.

*FBA fees

Assuming that you will have the item instock before Feb 22 (when fees go up), the standard rates are $2.99 (under 1 lb), $4.18 (under 2 lb), add $0.39 per additional lb for standard sized items. There will also be storage, but that should be pennies per month.
*Logistics (will be getting from Europe)
Depending on how much you are planning to ship, that will vary. You can get a quote from a logistic company. A small shipment going air freight will be more expensive per unit (taking a higher percentage of your price) and a large shipment going ocean freight will be a lower percentage (but higher total amount). There will also be customs brokerage fees and possibly duties depending on the country of origin and type of produce.

*Legalities (what type of legal issues should I be aware of?)
Unless the manufacturer has a US presence, you will be legally responsible for your products and will be the first to be sued. Make sure that the product has trademark registration and a patent in the US or you might find yourself dealing with litigation.

Anything else that I missed that you think I should add to list above?
I assume that either you are a US resident or your business is registered in the US and that you have a FEIN (IRS tax number) for your company along with a US Registered Agent and a US customs broker. You will have US income tax and possibly sales taxes depending on the state your business is registered in.

Dave
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
New York NY

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 2:27 PM   in response to: Boardgames4Us in response to: Boardgames4Us  
Thank you Dave, I enjoy reading your informative replies.
Yes I do have a business licence with EIN number and a sellers permit from NY and I am a NY resident. On the other had I do not have a customs broker and I did not sign up with a registered agent as I remember reading that in NY the secretary of State is the designated agent.

The product is a small item measuring 4"x4"x.40" and weighing .95 oz so thinking FBA fees should be low.

About product having US presence, it is being sold on other sites like Ebay and company does have a Shopify site that they sell through also, but not sure if it is trademarked
or patented. Will have to find out about that.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0
Boardgames4Us

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 2:56 PM   in response to: New York NY in response to: New York NY  
New York NY wrote:
Thank you Dave, I enjoy reading your informative replies.
Yes I do have a business licence with EIN number and a sellers permit from NY and I am a NY resident. On the other had I do not have a customs broker and I did not sign up with a registered agent as I remember reading that in NY the secretary of State is the designated agent.
As a resident of NY, you do not need a Registered Agent. Your business address will be the legal address. The Secretary of State is NOT the agent. This is more of a concern for out of state or out of country (in particular). I did not assume that you were a NY resident, so mentioned it in case.

The product is a small item measuring 4"x4"x.40" and weighing .95 oz so thinking FBA fees should be low.
0.95 oz should certainly be less than 1 lb. You should check the Fee Preview report to see what Amazon has for your weight and dimensions. If it is wrong, create a case to request a cubiscan to correct it.

About product having US presence, it is being sold on other sites like Ebay and company does have a Shopify site that they sell through also, but not sure if it is trademarked
or patented. Will have to find out about that.
You should contact the brand owner to check into the trademark and patent registration that they should have already undertaken. Otherwise, you will need to check with the US registries to see if there is any conflict.

Sometimes no-one says anything for years, but as soon as you have a product that becomes popular, pre-existing trademarks or patents will suddenly initiate action. That might require consulting with an intellectual property lawyer.

Dave
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0