Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: Stolen Images
This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 38 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 14 Jan, 2018 10:01 AM by: Private
Nautical Endura...

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 6:06 AM  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello Everyone!

Looking for feedback on what to do about a seller, they have stolen my images, created a new listing and undercut the prices drastically. What can I do about this? View the reply Nautical Endurance selected as correct
Is this a helpful question? Yes 17   No
38 Replies
Sort replies by:
LandscapeToEat

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 7:27 AM   in response to: JRH in response to: JRH
Helpful
JRH wrote:
I guess what I am trying to say is that anybody listing the same item can use your images if you have it on amazon.

You can not tell another seller that they can't use your image you have on the listing for their listing of the same exact item.

The other seller can only "use" images and bullet points IF s(h)e lists on the same page.
It is not permitted to take other sellers images and create new listing with them.

To OP, I remember reading suggestion here on forums to request a merge of both listings (since they appear to be the "same") and after a merge perform a test buy and remove other seller for "not as described" reason.
You can try to copyright images and description as a part of your catalog and file and IP infringement with Amazon.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 26   No 2
JRH

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 7:02 AM   in response to: Nautical Endura... in response to: Nautical Endura...  
I should also point out that if it is the same exact item they should not be creating a new listing but only be listed as a seller of that item or as one of the buying options on the current listing.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 19   No 2
JRH

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 7:23 AM   in response to: Nautical Endura... in response to: Nautical Endura...  
Nautical Endurance wrote:
Yes, the physical item has my brand name on it. But not every photo has my logo in the picture since we can't do watermarks or logo branding on it.

If the actual item has YOUR brand printed somewhere on it and you have not authorized anyone else to sell the item you could report them as selling a counter fit item.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 8   No 3
bookwormapril

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 10:14 AM   in response to: GardenKing in response to: GardenKing  
GardenKing wrote:
I think you need to keep in mind that once you post a picture to Amazon, or any details, they are no longer yours but Amazon's. So other people can use them as long as they are not selling the exact same thing you are.

This erroneous belief is posted over and over in here.

No!

When you upload an image of yours for use on the detail page, Amazon then owns that copy of the image. Amazon tells you they may use that copy as they see fit, and Amazon affiliates may use the copy. However you still own the copyright.

3P sellers are NOT affiliates. Amazon affiliates are those you see listed at the bottom of various Amazon pages. An example of an Amazon affiliate making use of an image uploaded would be ABEbooks using Amazon images as their stock image (based on ISBN).

Another seller may NOT use that image for any purpose. And that would include creating a new detail page.

One of the conditions upon uploading an image for Amazon use is that you must own the rights to that image. So creating a detail page with a stolen image is a a violation.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 2
JRH

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 7:15 AM   in response to: Nautical Endura... in response to: Nautical Endura...  
So what can be done with this? It is a private label item. He also copied a lot of my bullet points as well. I paid for these photos and some clown can just come around and create a new listing and steal anyone's photos and listing description?

Does the physical item have your logo or brand on it?
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 2
Nautical Endura...

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 7:12 AM   in response to: Books-Online in response to: Books-Online  
So what can be done with this? It is a private label item. He also copied a lot of my bullet points as well. I paid for these photos and some clown can just come around and create a new listing and steal anyone's photos and listing description?
Was this reply helpful? Yes 8   No 5
Beff Jezos

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 11:48 AM   in response to: Nautical Endura... in response to: Nautical Endura...  
Thank you. I have sent an IP infringement case to amazon support. Hopefully I can post positive news in the next few business days so this can be cleared up.

NO NO NO NO NO

Seller Support does not deal with IP infringement. Quite honestly, they are worse than useless because they waste your time and then give you a wrong answer.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 0
Conan Ting

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 7:32 AM   in response to: JRH in response to: JRH  
My suggestion is that you can first send an email to ask the seller to remove the pictures and bullet point. Some sellers may just do not know it is wrong.

Take strong measures only after courteous ones fail. Here is the link you can report a violation:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/reports/infringement
Was this reply helpful? Yes 7   No 5
Beff Jezos

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 10:14 AM   in response to: TwoThriftyGuys in response to: TwoThriftyGuys  
TwoThriftyGuys wrote:
Or they just started a new account... Forcing someone off of Amazon is the dumbest idea ever and you are stooping to their level.

Please explain why it is the "dumbest idea ever".
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 1

Nautical Endurance selected this reply as correct

View original question

LandscapeToEat

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 7:46 AM   in response to: Nautical Endura... in response to: Nautical Endura...  
Wow, that is a lot of work, but worth it. But since he is priced much lower, will he become the main listing or the "buy box"? I would hate for someone to have stolen my photos and then become the merged buy box listing!!!

It is always a lot of work to defend your IP.
You can first buy other seller's product to see what s(h)e sells, so, you know you can claim "not as described" later.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 5
Conan Ting

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 7:45 AM   in response to: Nautical Endura... in response to: Nautical Endura...  
No offense, but I do not know there is a policy not allowing sellers to contact other sellers.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 5
Excelyfe

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 10:33 AM   in response to: Nautical Endura... in response to: Nautical Endura...  
I was successful in having Amazon remove the images my competition stole from me, but not the actual listing. It happened 3 times and each time i had to email Amazon twice, once wasn't enough.

Edited by: Excelyfe on Jan 13, 2018 10:33 AM

Edited by: Excelyfe on Jan 13, 2018 10:34 AM
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 1
LandscapeToEat

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 10:32 AM   in response to: HelloFriends in response to: HelloFriends  
HelloFriends wrote:
Do have have ownership rights to the images?

Technically/legally, if one creates an image s(h)e automatically owns it (aka have rights to it).
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 1
bookseller

Posted on: 13 Jan, 2018 10:53 AM   in response to: Nautical Endura... in response to: Nautical Endura...  
The real problem is not the photo, it is the duplicated catalog page using the photo. If the ASIN, or USP is not valid, request the catalog page be removed and report the seller.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 1