Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Fulfillment By Amazon » Shipping Inventory to Amazon

Thread: Importing product from US to Amazon.ca FBA as a Non-resident Importer
This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 14 Nov, 2017 6:08 PM by: Amazonia Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Amazonia

Posted on: 14 Nov, 2017 3:55 PM  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hey folks!

I was wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction?

My US based business currently sells on Amazon.com using FBA and I'm looking to expand into the Canadian market using Amazon.ca's FBA service using UPS as my shipping carrier.

I've applied for and received my Canadian Business and GST numbers as an Non-resident Importer with the Canadian Revenue Agency in order to import my products an plan to send in a few individual packages to test out the market.

I'm aware that I have to be the Importer of Record and pay all of the duties, taxes and shipping costs before Amazon.ca will accept the shipment.

My question is, am I required to open a Non-resident Importer account with UPS at this point or can I just drop the packages off at a UPS store and arrange to have all shipping costs, taxes and brokerage fees billed to me the shipper on the Waybill form?

Thank you for your time.
Is this a helpful question? Yes 0   No
2 Replies
Sort replies by:
Boardgames4Us

Posted on: 14 Nov, 2017 5:17 PM   in response to: Amazonia in response to: Amazonia  
Amazonia wrote:
Hey folks!

I was wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction?

My US based business currently sells on Amazon.com using FBA and I'm looking to expand into the Canadian market using Amazon.ca's FBA service using UPS as my shipping carrier.

I've applied for and received my Canadian Business and GST numbers as an Non-resident Importer with the Canadian Revenue Agency in order to import my products an plan to send in a few individual packages to test out the market.

I'm aware that I have to be the Importer of Record and pay all of the duties, taxes and shipping costs before Amazon.ca will accept the shipment.

My question is, am I required to open a Non-resident Importer account with UPS at this point or can I just drop the packages off at a UPS store and arrange to have all shipping costs, taxes and brokerage fees billed to me the shipper on the Waybill form?

You will also need to request an Import/Export number (using your CRA business number). That should be sufficient for UPS. I also suggest that you phone UPS to set up and account with them. They will collect your exporter details (including your FEIN) and your importer related details (including your GST and Import/Export numbers), a copy of your invoice with countries of origin and manufacturers to prepare the Customs documents. Depending on whether or not the products are manufactured in the US, there may be different forms.

You will be charged for import fees including duties and GST/HST (depending on where the shipment will get delivered).

Do not drop off the packages until after you have confirmed everything with the UPS broker. You also know that you won't be able to use Amazon's partnered shipping rates for cross border shipments. You may be able to qualify for some discounts if you make some commitments when you set up the account.

Dave
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
Amazonia

Posted on: 14 Nov, 2017 6:08 PM   in response to: Amazonia in response to: Amazonia  
Thanks a lot for the info Dave! I really appreciate it!
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0