Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » Help For New Sellers

Thread: Max character length in Description
This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 14 Sep, 2017 8:01 AM by: CCJ Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Antennas Direct

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 1:25 PM  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
What is the max character length for new items in the title and also for bullet points? For bullet points the excel form says 256, but in Vendor Central it is limited to 200. Thanks.
Is this a helpful question? Yes 0   No
4 Replies
Sort replies by:
WhoKnows?

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 4:48 PM   in response to: Antennas Direct in response to: Antennas Direct  
I know... everywhere shows something different.

Specially when they updated a couple of category files when they merged a couple of things like the keywords..

Mine shows 2000 for descriptions and bullets no restrictions.

But again, we all know how messed up it looks on the product listing when it goes anything over 50-60 characters.

I do a short sentence and onto the next. About 6 - 10 words as a sentence taking keywording into consideration too. Most if not all is uniquely placed on my listing. I don't repeat no words..

Nobody should read through all that filling.

By that point, I am almost certain that Amazon is no fool when it comes to keyword stuffing and I bet much of that is ignored.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
Oneida Books

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 6:13 PM   in response to: Antennas Direct in response to: Antennas Direct  
Amazon Help Files :
What information can I include in my product description?

You are allowed 2,000 characters to describe your product. For some product categories, you also have five key product features (bullets) of 100 characters each for highlighting significant product attributes.

Then if you edit in Manage Inventory ... the little i by Product Description says 2000 and Key Product Features (Bullets) says 100

Edited by: Oneida Books on Sep 13, 2017 9:14 PM
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0
SELLC

Posted on: 14 Sep, 2017 3:19 AM   in response to: Antennas Direct in response to: Antennas Direct  
While not the answer to your question, professionals know that using the least amount of words are far more effective in selling a product on line.
CCJ

Posted on: 14 Sep, 2017 8:01 AM   in response to: Antennas Direct in response to: Antennas Direct  
Unfortunately, Amazon as well as most companies never take down outdated pages or mark them as outdated and add a link to them to the new page, so they keep coming up in searches.

The best option is to compare the pages by checking the create or revision date if they have one.

Amazon also has different specs for the different categories but overall they're similar, and also they don't enforce some of the specs as they are suggestions and not mandated.
Below is an excerpt of what I believe is a most current guide.

ccj

Tips on how to create a great title
Do's
• Capitalize the first letter of each word (exceptions listed under Do Not)
• Keep the title short, but include critical information
• Use numerals (2 instead of two)
• Spell out “with and “and” instead of using ampersands or w/
• 100 characters maximum (65 characters or less recommended)
• Keep titles consistent throughout an entire family (Parent/Child relationship)
• ALWAYS check spelling

Dont's
• Do not use ALL CAPS
• Do not capitalize:
a) Conjunctions (and, or, for)
b) Articles (the, a, an)
c) Prepositions with fewer than five letters (in, on, over, with, etc.)
• Do not include specific seller information
• Do not “stuff” keywords into your title
• Do not include promotional messages such as "Sale" or "Free Ship"
• Do not include subjective comments, such as “Hot Item”, “Best Seller”, or “Great Gift”
• Do not include commentary such as “with a Gift Pouch” or “Gift Boxed”
• Do not use your seller name for Brand or Manufacturer information, unless your product is Private Label
• Do not include symbols in your listings (such as ! * $ ?)

Key Product Features - Bullets

The Key Product Features bullets on the detail page give the customer more details about your product and can influence the customer purchase decision.
• Be clear, specific, and include product information only
• Do not include shipping or company information. Amazon policy prohibits including seller, company, or shipping information

• There are five featured bullets, each with a recommended maximum of 80 characters per line
• Product Features can be used to describe items where the feed template can not accommodate all the information
• Product Features can be used to convey information that is not accommodated by the specific product attributes.

Note: Tips to improve readability
• Write all numbers as numerals
• In bullets with multiple phrases, separate the phrases with semicolons (;)
• Spell out measurements such as grams, inches, feet, and so on

Do Not:
• Use hyphens, symbols, periods, or exclamation points
• Write vague statements; be as specific as possible with product features and attributes
• Enter company-specific information; this section is for product features only

*Product Description 2000 chars *
Do
• Describe the major product features and list product information including size, used-for and style
• Keep it short, but include critical information d
• Include accurate dimensions, care instructions and warranty information
• Use correct grammar and complete sentences
• Be sure that product claims are truthful and substantiated

Do not
• Do not include your seller name, e-mail address, website URL, or any company-specific information
• Do not write about anything but the product for sale; this is your opportunity to tell the
customer what they are buying
• Do not include promotional language such as "sale" or "free ship" (use the Manage Promotions tool instead)