Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: Account on vacation, bank account was changed, payment sent to ?
This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 30 Sep, 2017 1:30 PM by: SewKnitWorld
Bisc

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 10:36 AM  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
We are a manufacturer. Back in April I found this forum and based on the issues sellers have, we have avoided selling on Amazon. For reasons that don't matter, we opened an account last month and sent in 6 items for FBA.

I read this forum for months, so I knew to use a VPN to log in, have two step verification and used a computer generator for my pw. I am the only person authorized on the account. We made it two weeks before we were somehow hacked.

We sold one product at the end of August.
Last week we put our account of vacation because we are in Florida and the hurricane was coming.

On the 7th, I received an email saying payment was on it's way.

Today I get an email that our banking account information has been changed. I checked and it ended in some random numbers.

Account is active even though it's supposed to be on vacation. I didn't make it active.

I changed the bank account back to original, changed my pw and contacted customer support via phone. Couldn't understand them.

Opened a chat and the person keeps giving me instructions to change my account, which I already did. Now they are just sitting on the other end, not answering me.

What is the next step to fix this?

Edited by: Bisc on Sep 13, 2017 10:37 AM
Is this a helpful question? Yes 6   No
8 Replies
Sort replies by:
SUNDANCE

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 11:10 AM   in response to: Bisc in response to: Bisc  
Sounds like you did everything to keep your account safe.

But you still need to check your computer for malware & viruses as it sounds crazy that with all your protection you were still hacked. How did they get passed the two step verification?!

try malwarebytes & avast on FULL SCANS

Note:
Important change to bank account policy
Aug 29, 2017
Amazon no longer permits secondary users to change the deposit method on seller accounts. Only the primary account owner can make such changes. This policy is effective immediately.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 1
Timeout99

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 1:30 PM   in response to: Bisc in response to: Bisc  
Bisc wrote:
I knew to use a VPN to log in, have two step verification and used a computer generator for my pw. I am the only person authorized on the account.

Edited by: Bisc on Sep 13, 2017 10:37 AM

I deleted and removed my VPN as according to what I read on the forums here as that can be the cause of problems
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 0
Bisc

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 11:42 AM   in response to: SUNDANCE in response to: SUNDANCE  
Thanks for the response. I do not understand it myself. I have the two step going to a separate number from our business phone, the email is one that is not listed in our company website and I am the only user/owner of the account. My partners do not have access to the account. I was the one who didn't want to list on Amazon because of the fraud and abuse that sellers face. Less than a month and we are victims as well.

I have a new clean laptop that I'm writing this on. Amazon did send my plight to special services or something like that and marked it urgent. Fortunately its only a few hundred dollars, but I cringe to think what could have been. We have been listing on another site since April with zero issues. Amazon is where the money is made but man is this a landmine without map.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 1
SewKnitWorld

Posted on: 30 Sep, 2017 1:30 PM   in response to: Bisc in response to: Bisc  
My wife's account is not an FBA but we are a home based seller. On Sept. 11, 2017 my wife noticed that the money was going to be sent to an account in Romania. That was 2 days before it was to be disbursed to the bank account. We contacted Amazon by phone about the discrepancy in the bank account switch and they said they would look into it. The next day 9/12 we called again and asked if they found anything and again they were looking into it. On 9/13 the funds ($5200) were sent to Romania and we called again. Still nothing from Amazon on how to remedy the situation. We had been trying to change the bank back to the original bank we had been using for more than 3 years but were unable to because we could not get the full bank number for the bank in Romania. Nothing was done and we had been in contact with Amazon all along and the money was again sent to Romania, this time more than $7200 on 9/27. On the 26th we were told that the money would in fact be sent to our original bank, and would not be sent to Romania. On the 28th my wife changed the credit card on her account to an expired credit card which had the account suspended so no more money would be sent to the hackers. I guess they the hackers were upset because they changed the log in which was changed after the initial disbursement on 9/13. Customer support was not able to do anything and neither was payment disbursements able to help.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 0
Bisc

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 1:14 PM   in response to: CitywideDirect in response to: CitywideDirect  
I agree the amount is small, it is a new Amazon account and I was equally confused. We're far from the normal target.

We manufacture electronics but also have a Top Notch IT staff. We used to sell to B&M but the world is changing and we are changing with it.

After SUNDANCE mentioned to check the validly of the emails, I gave them my laptop and the emails regarding the payments/account change do not appear to be from Amazon. They are also not in my seller account. There is no banner, etc and do not match the look of the second set of emails after I contacted seller support.

I think this may be a case of my reading the forums for so long, and over-educating myself, that I panicked at the first sign of something amiss. My account balance is not zero, and everything appears to be fine. I didn't want to be one of those new sellers who writes in all the time with questions. I tried to learn on my own and I get to be the one with egg on my face.

Thanks everyone for their help and advice.
SUNDANCE

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 11:50 AM   in response to: Bisc in response to: Bisc  
Are you using the same email address & password both the "other site" or are the different?

Make them different for added security.

And remember if you get an email that looks like it is from AMAZON with a link to "login" or "something needs fixing" don't do it. Always go directly to your seller central account using a browser and not a link from an email.
CitywideDirect

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 12:21 PM   in response to: Bisc in response to: Bisc  
Bisc,

This problem is most likely on your end, There are millions of sellers on amazon and amazon has not announced a data breach, there also has not been a influx of users stating this on the forums. I would call a IT service to check out your computers, Wifi, Routers and get to the bottom of the issue. I know throwing the blame is the easiest route to go but when the company in question is a technology juggernaut you really have to think twice before blaming there service. If the hacking was on amazons end would they go after a company doing a few hundred in sale - Doubtful

Wanted to add Who knows your Router Password ?? Default password ??
Good Luck

Edited by: CitywideDirect on Sep 13, 2017 12:22 PM
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 2
Bisc

Posted on: 13 Sep, 2017 12:00 PM   in response to: SUNDANCE in response to: SUNDANCE  
Same email but different password. Every site I have I uses a unique random generated password.

You did bring up a good point. Besides the item that sold, my message box is always empty.

Would seller support have noticed that the bank account was never changed? All he said was to change my banking information, which was different then what I initially signed up with. I assumed he could see that it was compromised. BUT..there was no email in my seller account notifying me, just a notification to my email account.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0