Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: A to Z claim about reuising packaging
This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 14 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 17 Jul, 2017 1:24 PM by: liw48
Futuresoul

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 9:42 AM  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I reused a bubble envelope that had a Macy Logo on it, and I got an A to Z claim about it. Is this against the rules to reuse packaging? I mailed it myself using Amazon shipping services.

The buyer's comments were "This package was sent in a Macy's mailing envelope.- : -Please advise, I have not heard a response. The package looked like it came from Macy's."

Is this a helpful question? Yes 9   No
14 Replies
Sort replies by:
The Shelburne C...

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 9:44 AM   in response to: Futuresoul in response to: Futuresoul  
Futuresoul wrote:
I reused a bubble envelope that had a Macy Logo on it, and I got an A to Z claim about it. Is this against the rules to reuse packaging? I mailed it myself using Amazon shipping services.

The buyer's comments were "This package was sent in a Macy's mailing envelope.- : -Please advise, I have not heard a response. The package looked like it came from Macy's."

While I reuse packing all the time, I don't think I would reuse that type of branded packing.

That said, why the hell would that trigger an A-Z? Did they request a refund from you that you refused?
Was this reply helpful? Yes 15   No 0
MAV-DAK

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 9:47 AM   in response to: Futuresoul in response to: Futuresoul  
Reusing packing materials and shipping supplies should not contain any branding from other businesses. Otherwise a buyer may believe you drop-shipped which is allowed but there are strict requirements about it not being branded but as the seller that sold the product.

So, you should refrain from using retail business branded packaging when shipping to buyers. Amazon allows you to reuse these should you be shipping inventory to Amazon for FBA but not direct to buyers when fulfilling your own orders.

What was the reasoning behind the claim? Are they saying they got something different or believe they paid too much since it appears you purchased from Macy's and had them ship the item to the buyer?
Was this reply helpful? Yes 13   No 3
Futuresoul

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 9:55 AM   in response to: The Shelburne C... in response to: The Shelburne C...  
They never contacted me. This is all the info I got in the claim. They never asked for a refund
Was this reply helpful? Yes 11   No 1
bookwormapril

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 10:12 AM   in response to: Futuresoul in response to: Futuresoul  
Futuresoul wrote:

Under Packaging Guidelines:
Prepare a professional, clean package. Use new shipping/packing materials intended for packing items like yours.

While I might reuse clean bubble wrap as filler, and occasionally reuse a sheet of clean, non printed cardboard, that's the most I would push the infractions for that rule. My own standards call for new packaging material.

However, an A to Z does not make sense. That's not the intended use for a claim. That's something that would be more appropriate for feedback.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 7   No 1
Seeds

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 11:16 AM   in response to: Futuresoul in response to: Futuresoul  
All of our bubble mailers are brand new but we will re-use boxes for orders.

We have a sticker we slap on there saying something to the effect of "Pardon our apperance but this is a donated box, we are doing our part to re-use / recycle one order at a time."

Not an exact quote, but thats the gist of it. Never had a complaint from it.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 0
Cosmic Cat Comics

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 10:16 AM   in response to: Futuresoul in response to: Futuresoul  
IMO, the packaging should have zero effect on what the overall buying experience should be. I sell comics and toys and occasionally use my ebay boxes/polybags when sending to Amazon customers.

If someone gets bent out of shape for using a Macy's label then that same person may have a hissyfit if they get a plain brown box? Sorry, it was a present and you didn't put unicorns and glitter on the packaging so we filed an A-Z

I do agree though that someone may misconstrue another brand with drop shipping, but hey, we are all human and try our best to cut costs and get the item to the customers in the best shape possible...hopefully it work out for this guy.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 5   No 4
Puzzle Attic

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 10:10 AM   in response to: Futuresoul in response to: Futuresoul  
There is a policy about this but im not sure where to find it on here. A year ago i sent a package out in a box with other branding on it and my customer won the A to Z claim for it. At that time Amazon sent me the notice with the policy in it. It had something to do with expectations of packaging but that's all i remember about it. Since then i only reuse bubble wrap and air pillows but im very careful that all of my boxing have no writing on them at all.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 2
CapRecycling

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 10:23 AM   in response to: Futuresoul in response to: Futuresoul  
What was the A-Z filed under?
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 1
poorcollegekidpgh

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 1:22 PM   in response to: Seeds in response to: Seeds  
Why would anyone file an A to Z for that? I could see if the item arrived damaged and you did nothing about it, but as long as the item arrives fine why bother?

I've ordered from Amazon sellers and got reused boxes. I applaud them for recycling. Truth be told sometimes the reused boxes are still better than what Amazon itself uses for packaging.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0
liw48

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 10:31 AM   in response to: The Shelburne C... in response to: The Shelburne C...  
The Shelburne Country Store wrote:
Futuresoul wrote:

While I reuse packing all the time, I don't think I would reuse that type of branded packing.

That said, why the hell would that trigger an A-Z? Did they request a refund from you that you refused?

I reuse boxes with logos on them all the time, but I cover the logos. Black them out.

That said,
However, an A to Z does not make sense. That's not the intended use for a claim. That's something that would be more appropriate for feedback.

AMZ is becoming like the gestapo.

Edited by: liw48 on Jul 17, 2017 10:32 AM
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 3
PCU

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 10:31 AM   in response to: Futuresoul in response to: Futuresoul  
It is against the rules to use packaging that has a brand name other than Amazon on the package. But everyone does it. It's economical to recycle packages still in good condition. I would respond to the A-Z that the package was shipped from your facility and not from Macy's and leave it at that.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 1
New and Used Ne...

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 10:24 AM   in response to: Futuresoul in response to: Futuresoul  
I would reply to the A-Z that I would be happy to refund the customer on return of the product, and send a prepaid return label if possible
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 1
liw48

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 1:24 PM   in response to: Seeds in response to: Seeds  
Seeds wrote:
All of our bubble mailers are brand new but we will re-use boxes for orders.

We have a sticker we slap on there saying something to the effect of "Pardon our apperance but this is a donated box, we are doing our part to re-use / recycle one order at a time."

Not an exact quote, but thats the gist of it. Never had a complaint from it.

I re-use any packaging that I can. Have you been to Staples to see the cost of envelopes & boxes? Unless you get coupons they can add up and eat into your "profits."
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 2
TheFamilyDog

Posted on: 17 Jul, 2017 10:51 AM   in response to: PCU in response to: PCU  
PCU wrote:
It is against the rules to use packaging that has a brand name other than Amazon on the package. But everyone does it. It's economical to recycle packages still in good condition. I would respond to the A-Z that the package was shipped from your facility and not from Macy's and leave it at that.

How much packaging do you seriously use with other brand names on it? Are you dumpster diving at retail chains where they have branded packing materials?

It's one thing to reuse a box from a MFG, but to use a box from another retailer that can confuse the customer quite a bit.

I think you can continue re-using packing materials, just don't use retailer-branded packing materials unless it is from Amazon.

Cosmic Cat Comics wrote:
IMO, the packaging should have zero effect on what the overall buying experience should be. I sell comics and toys and occasionally use my ebay boxes/polybags when sending to Amazon customers.

If someone gets bent out of shape for using a Macy's label then that same person may have a hissyfit if they get a plain brown box? Sorry, it was a present and you didn't put unicorns and glitter on the packaging so we filed an A-Z

Amazon, though it has many sellers, wishes to present a homogenized identity, which is something that helps their business. You are putting your own interests above Amazon's, which may make Amazon rethink their relationship with you.

Most customers that buy on Amazon do not even realize that often they aren't buying from Amazon directly. When you send their Amazon order in an ebay box, that is confusing and something Amazon would really hate.

The safest thing to do is to not re-use any branded materials. This is what I do.

Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 5