Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: Sharp decline in feedback received from customers
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 08 Jul, 2017 4:44 PM by: Clueless Hoosier
To_Your_Health

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 7:06 AM  
Click to report abuse...
This is just an observation but it seems that over the past 2 months, there has been a sharp decline in the number of feedbacks we have been receiving. We used to average around 200 feedbacks per month and now we are under 100. At the same time, our total number of sales has increased. This may just be a coincidence but it seems that since Amazon allowed customers to opt out of receiving standard email communications, the number of feedbacks received has sharply declined. We do not have this issue at this time but it stands to reason that half of the total feedbacks received means that a single negative feedback has twice the impact on our metrics than it would have 2 months ago. Is anyone else experiencing this level of decline in their feedbacks received?
Is this a helpful question? Yes 13   No
23 Replies
Sort replies by:
Snickerdoodle

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 7:13 AM   in response to: To_Your_Health in response to: To_Your_Health  
Click to report abuse...
To_Your_Health wrote:
This is just an observation but it seems that over the past 2 months, there has been a sharp decline in the number of feedbacks we have been receiving.

You mean 2 years??? Ours has been declining over the last two years. Customers do not want to be troubled with feedback anymore unless they are unhappy. Dying platform, IMHO
Was this reply helpful? Yes 17   No 3
To_Your_Health

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 7:18 AM   in response to: Snickerdoodle in response to: Snickerdoodle  
Click to report abuse...
While yes, it does appear to be a dying platform, Amazon still rates sellers based on this metric where now each negative feedback has a double or triple impact.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 10   No 5
SeedyCDs123

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 7:23 AM   in response to: To_Your_Health in response to: To_Your_Health  
Click to report abuse...
To_Your_Health wrote:
While yes, it does appear to be a dying platform, Amazon still rates sellers based on this metric where now each negative feedback has a double or triple impact.

How does each negative have a double or triple impact?

No matter how many feedbacks you get, negative feedback has the same effect on your ODR.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 11
To_Your_Health

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 7:40 AM   in response to: SeedyCDs123 in response to: SeedyCDs123  
Click to report abuse...
If I used to get 200 feedbacks per month, a single negative would have a 1/200 impact or roughly a half of a percent. Now, with only 100 feedbacks received per month, that same single negative feedback has an impact of 1/100 or roughly a 1% which is double what it would have been 2 months ago. If this trend continues in this direction, next month, I will most likely be looking at 70 feedbacks where 1 negative would be 1/70 or roughly 1.5%. Hence the double or triple impact a single negative feedback used to have.
Thankfully, I do not get a lot of negative feedbacks. This is just a trend that I noticed.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 13   No 3
Puppers

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 7:58 AM   in response to: To_Your_Health in response to: To_Your_Health  
Click to report abuse...
To_Your_Health wrote:
This is just an observation but it seems that over the past 2 months, there has been a sharp decline in the number of feedbacks we have been receiving. We used to average around 200 feedbacks per month and now we are under 100. At the same time, our total number of sales has increased. This may just be a coincidence but it seems that since Amazon allowed customers to opt out of receiving standard email communications, the number of feedbacks received has sharply declined. We do not have this issue at this time but it stands to reason that half of the total feedbacks received means that a single negative feedback has twice the impact on our metrics than it would have 2 months ago. Is anyone else experiencing this level of decline in their feedbacks received?

Do you spam your customers for feedback? If so, you are part of the problem that lead to Opt-Out option for buyers. No offense -just sayin.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 7   No 4
To_Your_Health

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 8:10 AM   in response to: Puppers in response to: Puppers  
Click to report abuse...
An interesting point but for us, that would not apply. No, we do not spam our customers for feedback. Since day one, as soon as the postage label is generated, our system has automatically sent a shipping confirmation email with the tracking number and a personalized "thank you for your business message" which very nicely said if there was any problem to please contact us so that we could fix it immediately.
Other than this email, we have never sent any additional emails to our customers, unless they have contacted us first of course. Also, to my knowledge, not once has this one time per order email ever been misconstrued by any one of our customers as spam or any form of email harassment.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 2
Clueless Hoosier

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 8:22 AM   in response to: To_Your_Health in response to: To_Your_Health  
Click to report abuse...
To_Your_Health wrote:
Since day one, as soon as the postage label is generated, our system has automatically sent a shipping confirmation email with the tracking number and a personalized "thank you for your business message"

Don't do this. I did the same thing for a few years and customers loved it. Till one day I got a policy violation and had to stop sending that email out.

Re feedback. What you are talking about is the positive feedback ration which the customer sees if they look.

But what Amazon looks at are the negative feedbacks. Each negative feedback is a hit to our ODR. When that gets above 1% of total orders, then you've got problems.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 8   No 1
To_Your_Health

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 8:54 AM   in response to: Clueless Hoosier in response to: Clueless Hoosier  
Click to report abuse...
OK Clueless. That makes sense now. That is the percentage that the customer sees, not what we get rated on. You get the gold star!
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
MTD

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 8:56 AM   in response to: To_Your_Health in response to: To_Your_Health  
Click to report abuse...
Very interesting. I'm glad to see that there are other people facing the same trend. For the first time in years since I sell on Amazon, I have received zero feedback in the past 30 days. I received on average of 5 per month.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 7   No 0
cliff

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 8:59 AM   in response to: To_Your_Health in response to: To_Your_Health  
Click to report abuse...
Amazon really needs to figure all the customers that do not leave feedback into the system somehow as if they were not happy they would be a lot more likely to leave feedback in my opinion
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0
Foodie

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 9:00 AM   in response to: SeedyCDs123 in response to: SeedyCDs123  
Click to report abuse...
It matters because the people most motivated to give feedback are the upset ones, not the happy ones. As fewer people bother to write positive reviews the occasional negative ones carry much more impact now and really don't tell the full story of customer satisfaction anymore.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 7   No 0
SeedyCDs123

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 9:02 AM   in response to: cliff in response to: cliff  
Click to report abuse...
cliff wrote:
Amazon really needs to figure all the customers that do not leave feedback into the system somehow as if they were not happy they would be a lot more likely to leave feedback in my opinion

They already do. It's called ODR.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 1
Lake

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 9:09 AM   in response to: To_Your_Health in response to: To_Your_Health  
Click to report abuse...
Feedback has been a useless measure for many years and the decline in those who leave FB has been longstanding.

The FB percentage displayed is not use by Amazon to rate sellers so is considered less important than potential negative PR if it was removed or fixed.

Sellers are measured by their ODR which is based on multiple factors and as a percentage of sales. ODR is less unfair.

This is not a dying venue, but many sellers can no longer succeed on this venue. They will be gone and the venue will continue to thrive.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 4
GenGoods

Posted on: 07 Jul, 2017 9:10 AM   in response to: To_Your_Health in response to: To_Your_Health  
Click to report abuse...
I posted a similar question at https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=356660&tstart=0 that nobody answered. Seems FBA has an edge over FBM, and I can't pin down why. Is it possibly buyers have opted out of marketing and Amazon no longer sends product review and feedback email requests for FBM product purchases but instead does for FBA? The reason why I ask is that I am FBM, and in questioning some recent repeat buyers they never received any email from Amazon requesting feedback or product reviews. Seems very fishy...

My guess is FBA has preferential treatment when it comes to feedback and product reviews, but I have not been able to nail down all the reasons why - especially when FBM products are comparatively priced to FBA offers and delivered in about the same time.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 2