Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » Canada Sellers

Thread: Global Shipping for Canadian Sellers?
This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19 Jun, 2017 12:38 PM by: Boardgames4Us Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Joshy

Posted on: 19 Jun, 2017 6:57 AM  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hey guys!

I live in Canada and sell FBA Amazon.ca.

Do us Canadians have the option to offer our listings globally without having to actually ship our inventory to international fulfillment centres?

I cant find this option. I would really like to grow my sales and i am having a hard time..

Thank you!

Josh
Is this a helpful question? Yes 0   No
5 Replies
Sort replies by:
Boardgames4Us

Posted on: 19 Jun, 2017 12:38 PM   in response to: Joshy in response to: Joshy  
JJD Sales wrote:
Thats a great idea thank you Dave. I was shying away from US suppliers because of the import fees but your right about a wider product selection. I am trying to do this full time so i really need to expand quicker than i am lol. Another issue i have is finding products that amazon isnt already selling. They seem to be able to get the lowest price possible that i cannot compete with. I did order one product that they also sold thinking i would compete and i was quickly proven wrong as amazon dropped the price so low i would be losing a lot of money. Those products are still sitting on the warehouse.
One thing you can count on is that once you identify good products, Amazon will also start selling them (and for a lower price than you are willing to sell them). Ways that you can cope are to continually identify new products and discontinue non-profitable products. I purchase new release products every week and Amazon is generally a few weeks behind me. I can do okay on the initial stock but may not do as well on restock.

Watch for opportunities when Amazon is out of stock (such as during Christmas) to be able to sell at a better price. Amazon has to deal with the same logistics as everyone else. Suppliers run out of stock and Amazon needs to wait for new production and also needs to wait for product to be delivered and received into stock.

Dave
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 0
Boardgames4Us

Posted on: 19 Jun, 2017 7:47 AM   in response to: Joshy in response to: Joshy  
JJD Sales wrote:
Hey guys!

I live in Canada and sell FBA Amazon.ca.

Do us Canadians have the option to offer our listings globally without having to actually ship our inventory to international fulfillment centres?

I cant find this option. I would really like to grow my sales and i am having a hard time..

No. Canadian FBA is only for Amazon.ca orders delivered within Canada. US does allow US FBA orders to be delivered to some other countries for orders placed on Amazon.com - not other marketplaces.

To use FBA for any other marketplace, you must have inventory at that marketplace.

The only partial exception is Europe. You could ship inventory to the UK and also fulfill on DE, FR, ES, and IT. The fees are a bit higher (1-2 Euros per item). The problem is you need to use removal orders to avoid keeping inventory (from returns) to avoid needing to deal with sales tax and income tax for each of those countries.

You need to be aware that to use FBA in any other country, you need to register your business in that country, register for import/export, register for sales tax, register for income tax. You will also require a registered agent (as a legal address for legal or government mailings) and should have a bank account in that country for tax payments and refunds.

It is a big deal (as in not simple) to expand your business to another country. I suggest that before you look to do that, you instead expand your product offering and consider new categories. Canada still provides better margins due to less competition. You will find that in the US and Europe that you will see lower margins and if your suppliers are not providing you with better world pricing, your foreign competitors will always be able to sell for lower prices than you can. Most Canadian products are imported from the US, so US sellers will have a better cost advantage than you will get from Canadian suppliers.

Dave
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 0
Boardgames4Us

Posted on: 19 Jun, 2017 8:39 AM   in response to: Joshy in response to: Joshy  
JJD Sales wrote:
Only issue is finding good selling products from suppliers that will let me open accounts with them.. I guess thats the issue everyone has tho right.. lol
That will come.

You should also look into US suppliers. There will be added shipping costs along with customs brokerage fees, but for items that are not exclusively distributed within Canada, it will significantly improve your product selection.

Dave
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
Joshy

Posted on: 19 Jun, 2017 12:03 PM   in response to: Boardgames4Us in response to: Boardgames4Us  
Thats a great idea thank you Dave. I was shying away from US suppliers because of the import fees but your right about a wider product selection. I am trying to do this full time so i really need to expand quicker than i am lol. Another issue i have is finding products that amazon isnt already selling. They seem to be able to get the lowest price possible that i cannot compete with. I did order one product that they also sold thinking i would compete and i was quickly proven wrong as amazon dropped the price so low i would be losing a lot of money. Those products are still sitting on the warehouse.

Josh
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0
Joshy

Posted on: 19 Jun, 2017 7:54 AM   in response to: Boardgames4Us in response to: Boardgames4Us  
Thanks for the quick reply Dave!

Based on that information your absolutely right. I should look to expand my product offerings and maybe branch off into different categories. I only have one supplier at the moment in one category. For what its worth i am happy with the performance of the products im carrying but i need to ramp it up and carry more. Only issue is finding good selling products from suppliers that will let me open accounts with them.. I guess thats the issue everyone has tho right.. lol

Josh
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0