Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: Weird message
This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 22 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 19 May, 2017 9:39 AM by: TS
RUN FOREST RUN!

Posted on: 20 Mar, 2017 1:35 PM  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Recieved a buyer message today don't know if it is real or not. Seems like it might be another seller trying to get me off the listing. If it were real wouldn't I get a message differently like through Amazon? Or maybe just blocking the listings? Here's the message

... is the exclusive authorized representative of the ... trademark in the United States. In addition,...provides all warranty services for the products sold by authorized resellers of ...products in the United States. As part of its due diligence,...confirms the origin of each and every product sold by the Company. Amazon recognizes... as the exclusive representative of the manufacturer of ...in the United States. Accordingly, no reseller of ...products may market or otherwise distribute, sell or offer to sell any ...product without ....written permission.

We have learned that you are offering ... products for sale on Amazon.com:

Because you are not recognized as an authorized ... retailer or distributor in the United States, we hereby demand that you remove all ... brand products from the Amazon.com platform within 24 hours of this letter. Additionally, we hereby request that you forward ... the following information concerning your activities on Amazon.com:

• Source of goods;
  • Identity of the customer making the purchase;
  • Identity of goods sold; and
  • Quantity of goods sold.

Provided you comply with the foregoing request,... will not pursue this matter further. Kindly confirm that you will refrain from distributing, selling or offering to sell ... product without ...written consent by emailing the undersigned compliance team within 24 hours of receiving this message.

Thank you.
Is this a helpful question? Yes 4   No
22 Replies
Sort replies by:
Living in a Van...

Posted on: 20 Mar, 2017 1:37 PM   in response to: RUN FOREST RUN! in response to: RUN FOREST RUN!  
I wouldnt take this lightly.I recommend you follow through with this if you are not truly authorized to sell these items.

The next step may be an ip complaint filed against you with Amazon.

Most companies don't bother to contact you directly. They simply go to Amazon.

Do some research on the Kao company to find out if they really represent John Frieda.

If you sell their products and authorized to sell them on Amazon, comply and provide the info they request once you havery verified that they represent this manufacturer.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 13   No 5
CanadaRAM

Posted on: 20 Mar, 2017 1:55 PM   in response to: RUN FOREST RUN! in response to: RUN FOREST RUN!  
Identity of the customer making the purchase;
Identity of goods sold; and
Quantity of goods sold.

You do not have to provide any of that, they have no legal right to the information and it would be a violation of your Amazon Participation Agreement to disclose your buyers' names

Source of goods

This is what they are after

You need to prove that your items are genuine and that you are an authorized dealer. The way to do this is to send them copies of your brand-authorized distributor wholesale invoices for these line items.

Assuming that you are not in fact an authorized dealer, that your did not purchase from an authorized wholesaler, and you did list as New, then you need to delete all items from this brand, tell them you have deleted them, and promise never to sell the brand again. You can provide them with your Retail receipts, assuming you bought from a retailer, to convince them that these were not counterfeit product.

If you have not in fact sold any units, tell them this. But do not admit to selling X quantity.

You are basically grovelling and asking for them to drop the matter before they escalate it to Amazon as a Possibly Counterfeit claim which you will have a very hard time discharging.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 12   No 5
Sagemaiden

Posted on: 21 Mar, 2017 10:14 AM   in response to: RUN FOREST RUN! in response to: RUN FOREST RUN!  
BTW

It's not a "weird message" it's a fairly well written Cease & Desist for IP violation.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 5   No 1
Living in a Van...

Posted on: 21 Mar, 2017 9:22 AM   in response to: Bee Emm in response to: Bee Emm  
Being authorized to sell an item is not a permanent contract.

I have seen countless number of sellers who were authorized to sell items but were not able to maintain the requirements to continue to do so.

When some were asked to provide recent invoices they couldnt cough them up and we're no longer authorized to sell the items they were selling.

This is usually how the complaints end up being filed. A manufacturer doesn't recognize you or see you on their list of current vendors and the used items sold as new complaint is submitted to Amazon.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 0
Stam Sales

Posted on: 20 Mar, 2017 2:21 PM   in response to: RUN FOREST RUN! in response to: RUN FOREST RUN!  
It could also be a competitor trying to shake you off the listing. I would reply asking them for a way to contact them at the company and a name of who to talk to. If they are the legit company they should have no problem giving you that info. If the story checks out, reply that you will delete all listings of their products. i dont think you need to give any info about your suppliers. If they dont respond , it might be a fraud.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 1
Neptune Venture...

Posted on: 21 Mar, 2017 10:04 AM   in response to: RUN FOREST RUN! in response to: RUN FOREST RUN!  
I got the same exact email today from "Wonder Workshop, Inc." Same wording throughout, but they changed the company name...
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 0
CanadaRAM

Posted on: 21 Mar, 2017 9:37 AM   in response to: Bee Emm in response to: Bee Emm  
@Bee Emm

Amazon does not evaluate whether a seller is authorized to sell or not, or if the product is genuine or not. How could they?

It is in your Participation Agreement that you certify that each product you list is authorized for retail sale.

Its the sellers obligation to conform to all policies, laws and procedures prior to listing.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 0
CanadaRAM

Posted on: 21 Mar, 2017 10:26 AM   in response to: RUN FOREST RUN! in response to: RUN FOREST RUN!  
So I ignored them.

Just like you ignored the advice posted.

Carry on, then, and your next post will be "Why was I suspended for no reason?" as soon as the rights owner that you infringed upon sends a formal letter to Amazon legal.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 2
Amazon Ian

Posted on: 20 Mar, 2017 2:18 PM   in response to: RUN FOREST RUN! in response to: RUN FOREST RUN!  
How you handle this depends on if you purchased your products through an authorized distributor or if you got it wholesale/liquidation or something else.

If you're going through the official channels, let them know your order numbers and distributor name. Tell them to contact the distributor and verify. The other information isn't relevant and it's entirely self incriminating if you did happen to purchase it through an unauthorized channel.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 4   No 2
Moonwishes Sewi...

Posted on: 21 Mar, 2017 9:44 AM   in response to: RUN FOREST RUN! in response to: RUN FOREST RUN!  
If you got this as an email through your regular email account or got the letter via snail mail and not through Amazon, it is because this company cares enough to track you down. If you don't take down the products you have of this company, you should be prepared to get an official lawyer letter via registered mail. I had a run in with a company years ago that a lawyer handled for me pro bono. The reason that they want to know how many items you have sold, etc. is they want their part of the pie from what you sold. That is what my letter said. They wanted me to quit selling their product and to give them money representing every sale I had had. So basically quit selling their stuff, or else. I too wouldn't tell them about sales though, not unless they took you to court for that info (of course if you only had the one item and it never sold you can tell them that to spare both of you court costs).
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 1
Stam Sales

Posted on: 21 Mar, 2017 2:43 PM   in response to: Bee Emm in response to: Bee Emm  
correct , It might be a legit company but anyone can claim to be representing this legit company. All im saying is to verify if the legit company send the email, or someone pretending to be the company.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 2
HBA

Posted on: 28 Mar, 2017 11:02 AM   in response to: RUN FOREST RUN! in response to: RUN FOREST RUN!  
Hi,
We recently received the same message on our seller central customer message page. We also thought it was a scam and ignored at first. I even called seller central and was told that the ASINS listed were not restricted. Several days later we received a Performance Notification that we may be in Intellectual Property Rights Infringement and the listing were taken down. We contacted both Amazon and Kao ( at the gmail address given) Amazon was of course no help, they emailed back a stock response which did not address any of the questions and concerns posed. We received no response from Kao.

We did a little digging around on the internet and found Kao is currently involved in litigation with several large distributors/wholesalers. This may be part of their law suit, but that would be conjecture, I do not know.

We've tried to contact Kao again, hopefully we will get a response soon.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 1
CanadaRAM

Posted on: 21 Mar, 2017 9:33 AM   in response to: belindarella in response to: belindarella  
@belindarella
You are responding to a post on the public Sellers Forum. This is not a message directed at you. You saw this as a featured post on your Seller Central page at the lower left where it says "Seller Forums"

@RUN FOREST RUN!
And of course the OP has gone silent.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 1
Bee Emm

Posted on: 21 Mar, 2017 10:18 AM   in response to: Neptune Venture... in response to: Neptune Venture...  
This makes people think its a scam.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0