Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: Sessions dropped to 0 yesterday, for the first time ever in my shop
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 17 Feb, 2017 11:01 AM by: Erika The Crafter
Erika The Crafter

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 9:49 AM  
Click to report abuse...
This has never happened to me before this entire time that my shop has been open. Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Did I accidentally switch something off ?
Is this a helpful question? Yes 2   No
15 Replies
Sort replies by:
Style

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:00 AM   in response to: Erika The Crafter in response to: Erika The Crafter  
Click to report abuse...
Amerikan Made wrote:This has never happened to me before this entire time that my shop has been open. Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Did I accidentally switch something off ?

I would be more worried about NHL, Hello Kitty, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Nintendo, Pokemon and other licensed brand owners finding your "inspired" design knockoffs.

They should be named "Amerikan Fakes."

You are IP infringing on every one of them and it's only a matter of time before you get suspended, and rightly so.

Was this reply helpful? Yes 13   No 3
Boardgames4Us

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:22 AM   in response to: Erika The Crafter in response to: Erika The Crafter  
Click to report abuse...
Amerikan Made wrote:
just so you know, I have been in contact with or am currently in contact with these companies to be able to sell these items. Whatever I don't sell are the things I haven't heard back from or am still in the midst of figuring out how to contact them. Just heads up, I get where you are coming from but not all of us just do it without asking.
You really should have done that before you even started the manufacturing process.

For most of these, you will expect to get refusal of permission and if any are found on sale online, you can expect to receive "cease and desist" letters or infringements letters. According to the laws, the owner of the trademark must prosecute all infringement situations or they risk their licensed products becoming defacto public domain.

That is not a good business model. Licensing must be done before manufacturing. You should have a conversation with an intellectual property lawyer to better understand what you can/can not do and what you need to do in what order. You may also need one after you start receiving letters from other lawyers.

Dave
Was this reply helpful? Yes 8   No 1
Style

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:41 AM   in response to: Erika The Crafter in response to: Erika The Crafter  
Click to report abuse...
Amerikan Made wrote:just so you know, I have been in contact with or am currently in contact with these companies to be able to sell these items. Whatever I don't sell are the things I haven't heard back from or am still in the midst of figuring out how to contact them. Just heads up, I get where you are coming from but not all of us just do it without asking.

If that is the case, you'd better have your licensing paperwork in order and call them "officially licensed" if you have contracts to prove it and have spent the big bucks to get those. One of my vendors has some Disney licenses so I have some idea what those cost and how limited their design rights are.

If you have licensing from all those companies for the US, you don't call stuff "inspired" That is exactly the same as admitting they are counterfeit.

Company reps trolling Amazon search the word "inspired" along with their brand name. "Inspired" does not exactly scream "I hav permission"
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 1
Bmsbiz

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:17 AM   in response to: Erika The Crafter in response to: Erika The Crafter  
Click to report abuse...
he's right bro, those are unlicensed products. once reported your toast.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 5   No 1
Major

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:04 AM   in response to: Erika The Crafter in response to: Erika The Crafter  
Click to report abuse...
online end of year heat chills down in February
Was this reply helpful? Yes 5   No 3
Timbo Slice

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:44 AM   in response to: Erika The Crafter in response to: Erika The Crafter  
Click to report abuse...
To address the actual topic, it is likely that your reports haven't updated. Sometimes they don't update for a couple days.

As for everyone's input... You are selling items that will get you banned and/or sued. You aren't a kiosk in a market with foot traffic. These are items being sold on a website that has over 2.5 BILLION visits per month.

While you may be supporting your children from this, you and them will be much better off if you heed other seller's warning. These replies are not an 'if', but a 'when' that you will get reported.

These really are cool products. I'm confident you can create your own unique designs that will sell without the fear of being hunted down by the Wu Tang Clan or Disney.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 1
Erika The Crafter

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 11:01 AM   in response to: Timbo Slice in response to: Timbo Slice  
Click to report abuse...
Thank you so much :) Yeah that makes total sense. Honestly I used to only sell at little craft shows for extra money for my kids sports and things they wanted to do outside of school. I only even asked for permission when I started to sell online because I was worried I would get in trouble. I used a lot of my savings to be able to afford it because I think it will be worth it, I really hope so anyways. I want to start doing wedding things too. I have been coming up with designs. I hope the whole "mr & mrs" thing isn't owned by someone. I wouldn't even know where to go to ask about that? I have come to depend so much on this money (as little as it might be compared to what others make) that I didn't want to risk losing it. It would be a huge blow. I will ask my moms lawyer (the guy who helped me get all of this in order in the first place) about how to show the permissions I have or what I can do to prevent people thinking I am just stealing things. I have seen some of my pictures on other sites as items for sale that aren't me selling them? I am not really sure what to do about that either...
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 0
WWJBD

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:35 AM   in response to: Erika The Crafter in response to: Erika The Crafter  
Click to report abuse...
It's not about upsetting anyone, what you're doing is illegal
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 2
WWJBD

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:18 AM   in response to: Erika The Crafter in response to: Erika The Crafter  
Click to report abuse...
Illegel

You will be banned soon
Was this reply helpful? Yes 3   No 2
Erika The Crafter

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:47 AM   in response to: Style in response to: Style  
Click to report abuse...
Oh I didn't realize that. I put inspired because I didn't come up with the character but I did change it a bit and drew my own stencils. I can change them to say that I have my permission. yeah its not cheap but I think with christmas sales it will be worth it, if not I guess I just tell them no thank you in the future haha
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 1
Erika The Crafter

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:38 AM   in response to: WWJBD in response to: WWJBD  
Click to report abuse...
But I have permission and I pay based on what I sell in most cases. The others were flat rates that were a bit too high for the low amount I sell so I just don't sell them. Like I said I must have upset some people but I definitely tried to do this the right way. I am still working with the companies of a couple cartoons I like to see if I can make their characters too. I don't sell them yet because I don't know if I can afford to yet.
Edit: I'm sorry not flat rates but "guaranteed minimums" that were too high

Edited by: Amerikan Made on Feb 17, 2017 10:39 AM
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
Shoe People

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:42 AM   in response to: Erika The Crafter in response to: Erika The Crafter  
Click to report abuse...
Amerikan Made wrote:
But I have permission and I pay based on what I sell in most cases. The others were flat rates that were a bit too high for the low amount I sell so I just don't sell them. Like I said I must have upset some people but I definitely tried to do this the right way. I am still working with the companies of a couple cartoons I like to see if I can make their characters too. I don't sell them yet because I don't know if I can afford to yet.
Edit: I'm sorry not flat rates but "guaranteed minimums" that were too high

Edited by: Amerikan Made on Feb 17, 2017 10:39 AM

So, what you are saying is that at least some of what you sell you have gotten permission to do so, but not all of it?

If that is the case, then what you don't have permission for shouldn't be listed for sale or else you will suffer the consequences laid forth by Woody, Style and Dave.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 2
Erika The Crafter

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:29 AM   in response to: Boardgames4Us in response to: Boardgames4Us  
Click to report abuse...
I did do that. I am not trying to make anyone mad. I had an amazing job, the company went over seas and now this (plus my day job) are the only ways that I support my children. I did everything I was told I needed to do and am still doing it. Sorry for upsetting anyone
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 2
Erika The Crafter

Posted on: 17 Feb, 2017 10:09 AM   in response to: Major in response to: Major  
Click to report abuse...
yeh thats what I figured. :/ Amazon is just a bit harder to navigate than most other sites so I'm always worried I did something wrong lol
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 2