Seller Account
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Sell on Amazon » General Selling on Amazon Questions

Thread: Article: Amazon's sellers unhappy about fee hikes, eye rivals
This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 23 Apr, 2013 9:17 AM by: Mad-Dog
Intranet Works

Posted on: 18 Mar, 2013 9:00 AM   in response to: Dommie in response to: Dommie  
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Dommiesan wrote:
Advantage CSR wrote:
" EBay does not hawk its own wares."

I was very confused when I read this last sentence until I realized they meant hock.
Oh the difference one word makes.

It makes sense if you read the article with a Long Island accent.

"Hawk" = sell. In NYC, it evokes the image of guys walking down the street with their carts of wares, yelling in a sing-song manner about their great deals.

"Hock" = pawn.

I thought Advantage was joking!
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0
Johnny

Posted on: 18 Mar, 2013 9:06 AM   in response to: speck666 in response to: speck666  
Thanks for posting this article. It is good to be reminded that the market is never static.

I am particularly interested in what Google is doing and the potential of using social media as part of their business plan. I know that several new businesses are doing tandem trial runs through a combination of social media and universities for selling textbooks.

Amazon knows that 3P sellers will move to the most profitable media menu for selling their merchandise. Company loyalty is something of the past generation.

Personally, I see online selling evolving and I am waiting for the next "big thing."
The Stone Angel

Posted on: 18 Mar, 2013 9:07 AM   in response to: Johnny in response to: Johnny  
well said.
Intranet Works

Posted on: 18 Mar, 2013 9:08 AM   in response to: speck666 in response to: speck666  
The article is sheer "tempest in a teapot". The position seems to be that sellers who would go to eBay or a Google marketplace would have to make an either-or choice.

Many Amazon sellers already sell in other venues. There's no Hobson's Choice except in the writer's imagination; business-like sellers sell where they sell because that's where they choose to sell.

Additionally, there's no marketplace close to Amazon for most books, though eBay keeps trying. It is possible to dispose of a lot or pallet of books on eBay & not here, but for individual books, only textbooks really move well on eBay.
Lake

Posted on: 18 Mar, 2013 9:23 AM   in response to: speck666 in response to: speck666  
speck666 wrote:
Lake wrote:
It's always a pleasure to read about sellers who are too stupid to survive.

And even better when we learn they need to supplement their income by spreading their stupidity to others (for pay).

And there is even more pleasure in seeing the press naively believing the losers.

A good start to the week.

So your esteemed opinion is that sellers (both FBA and MF) who are unhappy will all of the fee increases are nothing but "stupid losers"? Sounds like sour grapes from a bitter old seller who knows the world has passed him by.....

I had the sellers in the article in mind, but if you wish to include yourself in the stupid loser category, don't let me stop you,

If these sellers weren't stupid they'd have expected the changes in fees. Amazon does what their business requires. It doesn't take a crystal ball to know that much of the merchandise in FBA before the increase was losing money for Amazon. And it was similarly obvious that the abuse in the electronic accessories category was rampant, and that the rational for the 8% electronics commissions did not apply to these items.

When your strategy for running a business is dependent on your landlord acting against his own interests, you always discover you fail.
ThrifT304

Posted on: 18 Mar, 2013 9:28 AM   in response to: Lake in response to: Lake  
To your corners...break it up!

I would have to agree with this statement.
"When your strategy for running a business is dependent on your landlord acting against his own interests, you always discover you fail."

Expect the increases to continue.

Edited by: ThrifT304 on Mar 18, 2013 9:28 AM
bingo

Posted on: 18 Mar, 2013 9:47 AM   in response to: Johnny in response to: Johnny  
Johnny wrote:
Thanks for posting this article. It is good to be reminded that the market is never static.

I am particularly interested in what Google is doing and the potential of using social media as part of their business plan. I know that several new businesses are doing tandem trial runs through a combination of social media and universities for selling textbooks.

Amazon knows that 3P sellers will move to the most profitable media menu for selling their merchandise. Company loyalty is something of the past generation.

Personally, I see online selling evolving and I am waiting for the next "big thing."

Same here, and there will be a new big thing. There always is.
bingo

Posted on: 18 Mar, 2013 9:51 AM   in response to: Lake in response to: Lake  
Lake wrote:
speck666 wrote:
Lake wrote:
It's always a pleasure to read about sellers who are too stupid to survive.

And even better when we learn they need to supplement their income by spreading their stupidity to others (for pay).

And there is even more pleasure in seeing the press naively believing the losers.

A good start to the week.

So your esteemed opinion is that sellers (both FBA and MF) who are unhappy will all of the fee increases are nothing but "stupid losers"? Sounds like sour grapes from a bitter old seller who knows the world has passed him by.....

I had the sellers in the article in mind, but if you wish to include yourself in the stupid loser category, don't let me stop you,

If these sellers weren't stupid they'd have expected the changes in fees. Amazon does what their business requires. It doesn't take a crystal ball to know that much of the merchandise in FBA before the increase was losing money for Amazon. And it was similarly obvious that the abuse in the electronic accessories category was rampant, and that the rational for the 8% electronics commissions did not apply to these items.

When your strategy for running a business is dependent on your landlord acting against his own interests, you always discover you fail.

You betcha. That's why I'm always shocked when I hear people quitting their day jobs - or their job hunts - to rely solely on Amazon FBA.
Mad-Dog

Posted on: 23 Apr, 2013 9:17 AM   in response to: speck666 in response to: speck666  
A new limited release Referral Fee Preview Report is available in Seller Central. The new report provides a summary of your open listings and the price and estimated Selling on Amazon referral fees for each SKU based on the listing data at the time you run the report.

To download the Referral Fee Preview Report:

You can download the Referral Fee Preview Report from the “Inventory Reports” section under the Inventory tab in your seller account. The listing information in this report may be up to 24 hours old. We recommended that you access this report once per day for the most up-to-date information.

To read the Referral Fee Preview Report:

Open the Referral Fee Preview Report (tab-delimited file) in any spreadsheet or database program, such as Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel. You will see the following fields in the report:

• SKU: A Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) is a unique block of letters and/or numbers that identify your product. SKUs are assigned by the seller. Example: 154844

• ASIN: An Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN) is a unique block of 10 letters and/or numbers that identify a product. ASINs are assigned by Amazon. You can find the ASIN on the product detail page. Example: B003CP0OT2

• Item Name: The title of the product listed. This will be populated with data from the Amazon catalog. Example: Logitech Speakers Z130

• Price: The listing price for the product. Example: $19.99

• Estimated Referral Fee Per Item*: The estimated Selling on Amazon referral fee. Example: $1.60

*This is an estimate of the referral fee only, based on the item price. Other selling fees may apply.

Thank you for selling on Amazon,
Amazon Services