Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: Amazon is buying products from some US retailers at full price

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 26 Jul, 2017 2:47 PM by: eagle_toys
Hit the Books

Posted on: 21 Jul, 2017 9:08 AM   in response to: jhnnsbstnbch in response to: jhnnsbstnbch
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
jhnnsbstnbch wrote:
Birkenstock quits Amazon in US after counterfeit surge - CNBC.com

I Googled it and found the article. Look at the image about 2/3 of the way down. All those "just launched" sellers with American-sounding names with no feedback selling sandals for $20 less than the manufacturer. Incredible.

^ All shipping from Canada. Looks similar to many of the pages today that are filled with JUST LAUNCHED sellers scammers.
primetime

Posted on: 21 Jul, 2017 1:24 PM   in response to: Books 'n Stuff. in response to: Books 'n Stuff.
Books 'n Stuff. wrote:
US retailers are really struggling right now with steadily
declining foot traffic in B&M stores and malls.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes for
Amazon to offer a way for those failing retailers to offload
inventory they can't sell themselves

I doubt this offer went to B&M retailers, it was designed for current FBA sellers.

Perhaps they already have a program to acquire B&M liquidation inventory.

NextGen Gamer

Posted on: 21 Jul, 2017 1:41 PM   in response to: primetime in response to: primetime
primetime wrote:
Yes, I received it July 18th.
Subject: New FBA Program Update. "we have created a new FBA program where Amazon can purchase your products and sell them to customers, including on Amazon marketplaces worldwide."

This appears to include the .com marketplace also, so they could also compete here with my own products?? The FBA and referral fees they collect effectively reduces their acquisition cost, and I've already paid to send the product to them and storage fees.

Free now, but fees to come:
"For a limited time, there will be no additional fees, and we will purchase inventory from you at your local marketplace offer price. To learn more about this program, visit https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/help-popup.html/ref=ag_202139180_cont_xx?ie=UTF8&itemID=202139180

There is a new setting for this on the Fulfillment by Amazon settings page, 'Allow Amazon To Buy My Inventory' where you can opt out. Apparently the default is 'allow'.

My concern would be that Amazon wouldn't buy the inventory until they got the sale at a lower price, in an effort to pull prices down.

HYPOTHETICAL scenario:

Hot item is being priced MARKET PRICE, which just so happens to be above MSRP

No Buy Box because of this

Amazon creates a listing at or below MSRP. They don't own the inventory yet. If they get a sale, they will buy from the lowest FBA seller.

Repricers see Amazon's offer and 3rd party offers start dropping like stones.

The cycle continues...

Am I crazy?

primetime

Posted on: 21 Jul, 2017 10:09 PM   in response to: NextGen Gamer in response to: NextGen Gamer
{quote:title=NextGen Gamer wrote:}

My concern would be that Amazon wouldn't buy the inventory until they got the sale at a lower price, in an effort to pull prices down.

HYPOTHETICAL scenario:

Hot item is being priced MARKET PRICE, which just so happens to be above MSRP

No Buy Box because of this

Amazon creates a listing at or below MSRP. They don't own the inventory yet. If they get a sale, they will buy from the lowest FBA seller.

Repricers see Amazon's offer and 3rd party offers start dropping like stones.

The cycle continues...

Am I crazy?

Interesting hypothesis. You are not crazy .
Killing Time

Posted on: 21 Jul, 2017 10:50 PM   in response to: Bad Brittnie in response to: Bad Brittnie
Bad Brittnie wrote:
LOL, sounds like Jeff signed up with one of the retail arbitrage gurus on YouTube.

"Buy high - Sell Higher!"

Funny thing is -

• Birkenstock declines to sell to Amazon
  • It is against Birkenstock's selling TOS for their authorized distributors to sell to re-sellers (Amazon)
  • Amazon would NOT be an authorized re-seller
  • Would Amazon sell as "new".
  • Amazon is overtly attempting to circumvent supply chain.

If so, would Amazon's Birkenstock offers then be inauthentic?

;)

I guess this answers the age old debate about what is new and what isn't. Obviously if this reads the way you say....then Amazon doesn't consider the " provenance" , for lack of a better word, ....a factor when selling merchandise as "NEW"
bunga bunga

Posted on: 22 Jul, 2017 2:16 AM   in response to: Killing Time in response to: Killing Time
I guess this answers the age old debate about what is new and what isn't. Obviously if this reads the way you say....then Amazon doesn't consider the "provenance" , for lack of a better word, ....a factor when selling merchandise as "NEW".

Excellent point. I can't believe I didn't think of it myself.

bunga bunga!
Sell4more

Posted on: 22 Jul, 2017 6:05 AM   in response to: Bacardi in response to: Bacardi
There is CNBC article about it Amazon is buying items from sellers at retail price and selling it accross other amazon sites around the world. They're really boosting their inventory and making top selling items available around the world and making profit on the mark up.
Fitness Avenue ...

Posted on: 26 Jul, 2017 12:26 PM   in response to: Sell4more in response to: Sell4more
So is there a way to opt into this program? Or is it just random selection that Amazon contacts you?
eagle_toys

Posted on: 26 Jul, 2017 2:47 PM   in response to: Books 'n Stuff. in response to: Books 'n Stuff.
""They left exactly 1 year ago, today.

The more recent article posted by the OP suggests
that they haven't changed their position, to date.

The implication is that every one of those listings is
counterfeit, scammers, or at the very best, unauthorized
distributors.

I just picked one randomly, chose a size, and the buy-box
then showed, "Sold by Schlappenladen." ""

Damn you, Schlappenladen!!! Trying to sell those bad shoes again.....Bad Schlappenladen, Bad! LOL...........

Paul.