Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Selling on Amazon » General Selling Questions

Thread: What should a seller do to prepare for Black Friday and Cyber Monday?
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 27 Oct, 2015 3:47 PM by: Outlaw Soaps
Outlaw Soaps

Posted on: 27 Oct, 2015 2:18 PM  
Click to report abuse...
I started selling FBA last year just after Black Friday and Cyber Monday. We have traditionally not offered deals or free shipping or anything because we're a tiny business with tight margins.

Black Friday is a month away. My understanding is that we should send our stock to Amazon ASAP to be sure it arrives and is checked in by Black Friday.

Questions:
Will Amazon be including our products in any Black Friday or Cyber Monday promotions?

As sellers, do you do anything special for Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

If you have not done any promotions, do sales increase on these days? Should we expect to send more stock to cover those days even if we do not promote specifically on those days?

Thank you in advance! View the reply Outlaw Soaps selected as correct
Is this a helpful question? Yes 1   No
9 Replies
Sort replies by:

Posted on: 27 Oct, 2015 2:30 PM   in response to: Outlaw Soaps in response to: Outlaw Soaps  
Click to report abuse...
Will Amazon be including our products in any Black Friday or Cyber Monday promotions?
No. Unless your invited.
Hell yeah!
If you have not done any promotions, do sales increase on these days?
Hell yeah!
Getting ready to ship a large stock of one my products that jumps from one order per day to 40-50 per day.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 5   No 4
Statler and Wal...

Posted on: 27 Oct, 2015 2:34 PM   in response to: Outlaw Soaps in response to: Outlaw Soaps  
Click to report abuse...
Outlaw Soaps wrote:

Black Friday is a month away. My understanding is that we should send our stock to Amazon ASAP to be sure it arrives and is checked in by Black Friday.

You should have ALREADY started.

Tide.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 6   No 3
Boardgames4Us

Posted on: 27 Oct, 2015 2:34 PM   in response to: Outlaw Soaps in response to: Outlaw Soaps  
Click to report abuse...
Outlaw Soaps wrote:
I started selling FBA last year just after Black Friday and Cyber Monday. We have traditionally not offered deals or free shipping or anything because we're a tiny business with tight margins.

Questions:

NO.

The promotions are by invitation only. If you have not received the details and provided your promotion, your offers will not be included. I think the deadline is Friday.

I suggest that you do not be too concerned about it though. You can offer your own promotions or price reductions that will compete. Buyers can not see every Amazon deal, anyway and there will be lots of buyers looking for deals.

Remember that they are looking for deals, that means low margins on every sale. I prefer to keep my inventory for those who are not as keen for deals to make more profit on each sale.

I price some items I want to clear attractively, but keep my popular items for afterward. Why sell out your inventory for a 5% profit (or less) when you could sell it later for a better profit?

If you have not done any promotions, do sales increase on these days? Should we expect to send more stock to cover those days even if we do not promote specifically on those days?
Sales definitely increase for the entire weekend. If you want to sell during that time, be prepared with some extra inventory or be prepared to restock soon after. Christmas is still coming and you will still make more on the days leading up to Christmas than on that weekend.

Dave
Was this reply helpful? Yes 10   No 1
Just saying......

Posted on: 27 Oct, 2015 2:38 PM   in response to: Outlaw Soaps in response to: Outlaw Soaps  
Click to report abuse...
Outlaw Soaps wrote:

You must!

Its in your sub-conscience that everything online is on sale.

Even if you have to raise your prices by 20% and issue them an open coupon for 20%, you should.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 7
rpgregory64

Posted on: 27 Oct, 2015 2:41 PM   in response to: Outlaw Soaps in response to: Outlaw Soaps  
Click to report abuse...
May be a huge day of on line Thanksgiving day- according to today show yesterday morning some stores are considering not even opening Thanksgiving day although they did last year. Lynne
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 4
glacier-basin-b...

Posted on: 27 Oct, 2015 3:04 PM   in response to: rpgregory64 in response to: rpgregory64  
Click to report abuse...
REI is going one step further and will close all their stores on Black Friday and telling their customers to enjoy the outdoors instead of shopping. Even their website will not process orders on Black Friday.

Edited by: glacier-basin-books on Oct 27, 2015 3:05 PM
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 3

Outlaw Soaps selected this reply as correct

View original question

paintcreekbooks

Posted on: 27 Oct, 2015 3:32 PM   in response to: Outlaw Soaps in response to: Outlaw Soaps  
Click to report abuse...
You should already be preparing shipments to FBA to have them received in for Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

I have inventory "in house" already for the holidays and am in the process of creating large FBA shipments to be shipped and received to FBA warehouses by the dates of November 11th for Thanksgiving sales and December 4th for Holiday sales as Amazon suggested.

I am on the old platform and can't set promotions or discounts but that never seemed to really matter for sales before and I actually like to price higher than other sellers to receive sales when they are out of inventory, which usually happens closer to the holidays.

Just make sure that you have enough inventory that you think that you will need for the holidays in house now or soon.

After holiday sales still continue through January and part of February due to gift cards and other cash or check presents for the holidays so buyers can purchase what they really want but didn't receive.

Hope your holiday selling is great!
Was this reply helpful? Yes 5   No 2
ThreadKiller

Posted on: 27 Oct, 2015 3:47 PM   in response to: Outlaw Soaps in response to: Outlaw Soaps  
Click to report abuse...
What should a seller do to prepare for Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

Ask questions of their competitors too late to do anything about it.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 9
Outlaw Soaps

Posted on: 27 Oct, 2015 3:47 PM   in response to: Outlaw Soaps in response to: Outlaw Soaps  
Click to report abuse...
Thanks so much for the feedback!

I have already sent a huge amount of stock to Amazon (forecasted at least double sales from last year when we were seller-fulfilled) but am awaiting some packaging from our printer to send the rest. That should happen on Monday, so I hope we get in before the big weekend blitz.

We didn't get any promotion request from Amazon, so I'm honestly kind of relieved. I don't think we would have been able to manage the lift.

I appreciate all the quick and thorough feedback!!

May you all be rolling on beds of money by mid-December!
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 2