Seller Central
Seller Forums

Amazon Seller Forums » Fulfillment By Amazon » General FBA Questions

Thread: 1 Unit ufulfillable.. Distributor Damaged
Thread Archived This thread has been archived - replies are not allowed.

This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 12 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 09 Nov, 2012 7:46 PM by: Satisfaction-Gu...
A-Z Seller

Posted on: 30 Oct, 2012 11:04 AM  
Click to report abuse...
SO I just realized that one of my items I have in the FBA warehouse is listed as damaged and unfullfilable. By reading into this, Amazon must have damaged it because it says "Distributor Damaged". They are now suppose to reimburse me the value. of it.

I am the only seller of this item and have sold 4 of these so far. What should I expect for this, my sale price? And will it be automatic or do I need to request reimbursement? The only Option I have for the item is to have it returned to me or have them destroy it. WIll I be charged any fees for them to send it back to me?

Thanks
Is this a helpful question? Yes 0   No
12 Replies
Sort replies by:
Oneida Books

Posted on: 30 Oct, 2012 11:51 AM   in response to: A-Z Seller in response to: A-Z Seller  
Click to report abuse...
eTraderz wrote:
I am the only seller of this item and have sold 4 of these so far. What should I expect for this, my sale price?
Less the Amazon fees ... i.e. the amount you would receive if sold. IF Amazon reimburses you for it.
And will it be automatic or do I need to request reimbursement?
If Amazon damaged it then yes it is automatic
The only Option I have for the item is to have it returned to me or have them destroy it. WIll I be charged any fees for them to send it back to me?
So apparently NOT Amazon damaged. Otherwise there'd be no option to get it back.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 1
A-Z Seller

Posted on: 30 Oct, 2012 12:05 PM   in response to: A-Z Seller in response to: A-Z Seller  
Click to report abuse...
Strange because it does say "Distributor Damaged" and they state in the policy that this means they screwed up and its their fault. I guess I will just wait and see what comes of it. Its not a very expensive item anyway. Atleast I bought it at a good price, I only have about 6 bucks to lose if I dont get reimbursed.

Thanks for the advice. Im still learning the process and its nice to have a forum to get some input and ask questions.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 0   No 0
bingo

Posted on: 30 Oct, 2012 12:15 PM   in response to: A-Z Seller in response to: A-Z Seller  
Click to report abuse...
I would most certainly open a case requesting reimbursement. This will allow you to track whether or not the credit is made. Amazon is supposed to automatically reimburse for warehouse and distributor damaged items, but they often do not.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
Oneida Books

Posted on: 30 Oct, 2012 12:22 PM   in response to: A-Z Seller in response to: A-Z Seller  
Click to report abuse...
I'm trying to find the reference but actually I don't think this is covered.

Examples of products not covered by this policy:*
    Excluded Products and Unsuitable Units as defined in FBA Help section 1.0 Product Restrictions and Packaging Requirements
    Any restricted products lost or damaged in a removal order
    Units that are defective or lost or damaged by customers, distributors or sellers
I believe in this case they are referring to you as the 'distributor'. Such as the item was received damaged but the packing was fine so they think it was sent in as damaged beforehand.

Edited by: Oneida Books on Oct 30, 2012 3:23 PM

And yes I know that sellers are listed separately in that line ..... so this might not be exactly what I'm looking for.
Clyde Parks

Posted on: 31 Oct, 2012 4:47 AM   in response to: Oneida Books in response to: Oneida Books  
Click to report abuse...
You are correct "Distributor Damaged" is considered received by Amazon damaged and Amazon is does not take responsibility for this. They will automatically reimburse for items labeled as "Warehouse Damaged" because that item was damaged in the warehouse.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 0
A-Z Seller

Posted on: 31 Oct, 2012 5:00 AM   in response to: A-Z Seller in response to: A-Z Seller  
Click to report abuse...
UPDATE:

I contacted seller support about this. They responded very quickly, (winthin a few hours). They confirmed that it was damaged by them and they are going to be crediting my account for the value. They are basically "buying" it from me for the sales price minus fees and commission. I just checked and now have a pending order and there is no buyer listed. I assume this is for the item.

They told me it will be treated just like a sale for me. (I hope they leave me pos feedback!)

Thanks for the help!
Was this reply helpful? Yes 5   No 0
f b a

Posted on: 31 Oct, 2012 4:32 PM   in response to: Oneida Books in response to: Oneida Books  
Click to report abuse...
Yes. Distributor Damaged is Seller or UPS. They fight it and try not to reimburse but sometimes they give in if they believe that it is UPS.

If Amazon damaged it then it says Warehouse Damaged. They pay for those.
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 1
CKM

Posted on: 01 Nov, 2012 7:57 AM   in response to: Oneida Books in response to: Oneida Books  
Click to report abuse...
Oneida Books wrote:
I'm trying to find the reference but actually I don't think this is covered.

Examples of products not covered by this policy:*

Excluded Products and Unsuitable Units as defined in FBA Help section 1.0 Product Restrictions and Packaging Requirements
    Any restricted products lost or damaged in a removal order
    Units that are defective or lost or damaged by customers, distributors or sellers
I believe in this case they are referring to you as the 'distributor'. Such as the item was received damaged but the packing was fine so they think it was sent in as damaged beforehand.

Edited by: Oneida Books on Oct 30, 2012 3:23 PM

And yes I know that sellers are listed separately in that line ..... so this might not be exactly what I'm looking for.

I ditto this. :)

Satisfaction-Gu...

Posted on: 05 Nov, 2012 6:49 PM   in response to: A-Z Seller in response to: A-Z Seller  
Click to report abuse...
I deal with this ALL OF THE TIME. You have received some very sage advice thus far.

It does state IF you use an Amazon Partnered Carrier (UPS) to send your stock in you are in good shape. I daily, or every other day, check my shipments to assure ALL of the items are accounted for. (You would be AMAZED how much is lost.) We do a double person count on all of the items we ship in so we KNOW we have the amount we said we did. We implemented that last year when the counts kept coming up one, or twelve, off!

I ALWAYS open a case, for MY tracking purposes, and to assure they are aware of the fact I am monitoring MY stock. Amazon DOES have a policy in place where they will resolve the issue and issue a credit. IF I remember correctly that can be up to *45 DAYS*! They will reimburse off of the price you are offering it at when they process the reimbursement. YOUR reimbursement will be sans all of the fees you would normally be charged IF this was FULFILLED.

When you create a case, they will get on the ball RIGHT AWAY. I point out the item was shipped using an Amazon Partnered Carrier, I clearly state the ASIN, reason for damage Amazon has assigned it, and then I cut and paste the information from the FBA Inventory View which shows all of the information, including the damage. It is not uncommon for me to have my notification reimbursement has been verified and they have sent a request through. That is usually in less than 24 hours. I usually receive notification "One, or more, of your items qualifies for FBA Reimbursement..." in 3-5 days. (Sure beats 45 days!)

As a side note: When I find one unfulfillable I select it and generate a report for removal. One day I found 6 items which qualified for reimbursement and ONE which was a "real" one I needed to have returned. Just a thought as we are coming up on psycho season for trying to keep up with everything.

I have not EVER had ANYTHING marked Distributor Damaged, mind you I use UPS EVERY TIME I send stock in, for which I have NOT been reimbursed.

Best wishes for the future with shipping and the issues associated with it. I hope I did not waste your time with this reply. You DID ALREADY have some good advice. I just know I personally have saved my company close to 4K, this year alone, by monitoring this like a HAWK! We go to great lengths to make sure the items arrive safely. It would be different if we just threw a bunch of stuff in a box and sent it in. Amazon has a LOT going on, and a LOT of new places, so I need to do MY part and stay on top of the reimbursements. After all, they are a business and there are HUMANS involved, what could possibly go wrong? :-)

Warmest Regards,

Brenton
Was this reply helpful? Yes 1   No 0
NextGen Gamer

Posted on: 09 Nov, 2012 4:14 PM   in response to: f b a in response to: f b a  
Click to report abuse...
ASB wrote:
Yes. Distributor Damaged is Seller or UPS. They fight it and try not to reimburse but sometimes they give in if they believe that it is UPS.

If Amazon damaged it then it says Warehouse Damaged. They pay for those.

Same situation here, I never win when it comes to Distributor Damaged. I now ship using double-wall boxes...
spoonyfork

Posted on: 09 Nov, 2012 5:28 PM   in response to: Oneida Books in response to: Oneida Books  
Click to report abuse...
Oneida Books wrote:
eTraderz wrote:
I am the only seller of this item and have sold 4 of these so far. What should I expect for this, my sale price?
Less the Amazon fees ... i.e. the amount you would receive if sold. IF Amazon reimburses you for it.
And will it be automatic or do I need to request reimbursement?
If Amazon damaged it then yes it is automatic
The only Option I have for the item is to have it returned to me or have them destroy it. WIll I be charged any fees for them to send it back to me?
So apparently NOT Amazon damaged. Otherwise there'd be no option to get it back.

Not so much...i just received reimbursement for an item that is priced at $35 and they gave me $20 for it.....in my case, it was warehouse damaged...
Satisfaction-Gu...

Posted on: 09 Nov, 2012 7:46 PM   in response to: A-Z Seller in response to: A-Z Seller  
Click to report abuse...
FYI, and I know MOST have already seen these, here are some guidelines from Amazon:

Reimbursement Policy:
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/200213130

Service Terms:
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/1791#FBA

It does help explain how they come up with some of the amounts they reimburse (Even though WE may have received a LOT more for selling it and paying all of the additional fees.)

IF you use an Amazon Partnered Carrier (UPS most commonly) to ship your items in to Amazon, you followed "Best Practices" for packing, and your truly did what you could to assure the items arrived safely Amazon will "go to bat for you". Distributor Damaged is posted there frequently. IF it leaves YOUR possession in EXCELLENT condition, UPS (as an example) takes possession of the package, and then it appears as "Distributor Damaged" it could EASILY have been damaged, by the CARRIER, en route to the Fulfillment Center.

I see you mentioned they were reimbursing you, sans the usual charges, after you contacted them AND it was marked as "Distributor Damaged". I am truly happy for you! A Seller Support Agent told me there is basically automatic protection as long as you use an Amazon Partnered Carrier.

I USED to think Amazon was out to "deny or wear me down" regarding damages. I have come to learn Amazon actually has MY back. Yes there are rules. Yes I get VERY frustrated at times. Seller Support has been polite, professional, and helpful whenever I generate a case. Amazon, and the carrier, are both in business to make money. There ARE people whom abuse the system by sending in damaged products and counting on the reimbursement instead of the sale. Amazon MUST protect themselves, and the carriers, against those whom are NOT being "legit". WE must pay the price for the people who did abuse it. I truly APPRECIATE Amazon's willingness to reimburse me when I have items damaged. They actually are pretty good about turning it around in a reasonable time frame.

Warehouse Damages are a HUGE pet peeve of mine. (In case someone reading this does not know what happens here is a very brief synopsis.) Someone, somehow, somewhere damages occurred in the warehouse. Once that happens, it gets entered "Warehouse Damaged" and then it takes on a whole new life, it becomes automated. Seller Support can't do crap to help once that"tag" is placed on it.!

DO NOT be afraid to fight Amazon when you are confident about your case. I just spent 4 WEEKS dealing with an issue, of and on, and I just received an APOLOGY from Amazon. They are opening a ton of new centers, at the WORST possible time of the year, and they all have NEW employees. I have had THREE, so far, request an additional 3-5 days to receive a delivered item, due to "a massive back log". (Those were each AFTER I had already given them at MINIMUM 6 days.)

Sorry to get SO off topic! CONGRATULATIONS on receiving your reimbursement! Make SURE you check you removal inventory to assure the items are removed after you receive confirmation you have been credited. Occasionally they forget to pull it. I do not want YOU paying all of the additional charges to remove an item they have already paid for! (I made that mistake once. Oops, my bad.)

Respectfully,

Brenton
Was this reply helpful? Yes 2   No 0