You are using UPCs, EANs, ISBNs, ASINs, or JAN codes that do not match the products you are trying to list. If you believe you have reached this message in error, please contact Seller Support

Hello, I just cant answer all these questions anymore. Except to say, the your at the mercy of the guy that owns the UPC. At some point that owner has to pay the GS-1 the yearly fee to maintain the UPC status, What if he skips town or runs off to the Cayman Islands and decides he isn’t going to pay up. Your dead in the water at that point!

Thank you very much for the information you provided. :pray:

Possibly since the brand you are using is not associated with this product anywhere else. Because you have circumvented Amazon policy, and the owner of the rights to that brand may sue you.

What you are proposing to do is wrong, potentially illegal and dangerous.

I have little doubt you will proceed and hope that you only face loss of product and sales revenue. But you risk never, ever being to sell on Amazon again.

Do not use the second hand UPCs they will cause you problems down the road and they technically are an Amazon Policy Violation the last that I am aware of. Cutting corners now will cost you big time down the road.

The seller videos help a lot in understanding how to navigate to areas you need to sell your product, and how to avoid some mistakes.

Second hand UPC’s are not a violation of Amazon policy. Amazon currently recommends using GS1 UPC’s, and they make it impossible if the brand is registered.

Amazon has created a nightmare in their system. Want to list 1 of an item with the UPC provided by the manufacturer, that is registered on GS1. only to find out, Amazon has made a 2 pack out of this item, and uses the single item UPC assigned to it.

Amazon’s catalog is a nightmare. Almost to the point just blow it up and start over.

Real similar to OP issue. Amazon did not plan to succeed when it cam eto the catalog, and now they have issues nothing short of a complete redo will fix. Get the correct barcodes now, or sell the product on Ebay to get the capital to get the correct UPC’s.

Also if your manufacturer is Alibaba, you will be better off not listing it on Amazon, as your chances of an IP suspension are high.

Thats not true. UPC codes from sources such as codeupc etc work just fine.

You dont need to get them from GS1

Then explain the numerous posts here every week where sellers cannot list products due to the UPC not being registered to the brand that is being used on the listing. Amazon checks the UPC against the GS1 database to see if the UPC is registered to the brand.

Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. I have a bunch of UPCs from Speedy and when they work they work.

You may find that they work in the categories you list in, until they stop working.

UPC prefix checking is not universal, but the policy is, and Amazon is increasing the number of categories which prefix check without notice.

Yes I was having the same issue. Here is the problem, your Brand has to be approved by Amazon I am closing my account. They don’t tell you that it has to be approved until you try add products to the quantity area Although we are the manufacturer of our brand it what have been nice if they tell you all the details before signing up.Hope this helps.

I have to say the GS1 “licencing” is absolute BS! How typical American monopoly like, is it to have to subscribe with an annual fee to use a simple 10 digit number. $150 a year to maintain 100 - 10 digit numbers?!?! What a scam.
It’s not like GS1 is going to pursue any infringement for you, or perform any type of actual service. You buy a prefix, then keep paying annually for a simple number you already paid for.

Real manufacturers and retail businesses have no problem with the way it works.

Only marginal Internet businesses who use other people’s websites have a problem. Real retail businesses can use reserved areas of UPC codes which Amazon sellers cannot, for their private label products.

I am a real manufacturer and business, and take issue with paying for subscriptions where no further services are offered. I understand when Photoshop and MS Office charge and do regular updates and support other products like cameras and importing of new photo formats etc, but someone please explain the continued services provided by GS1 once an assignment is made.

It’s quite petty to assume that because I disagree with a business model, that I lack some sort of validity in a marketplace. GS1 does not ensure the UPC is used in a legal or ethical manner.

GS1 offers its respected base of retailers who use its codes. If you wish to live outside of the mainstream, you can do so.

Retailers and standards groups chose UPC over alternatives.

You are paying for the level of acceptance which comes from using GS1 codes.

That is not a recurring service worthy of a annual subscription, IMO. I have no issue with our initial registration, I take issue with the annual “no actual service provided” subscription.

Comcast is the only broadband provider in my community, however it does not invalidate my or others usage by expressing our displeasure in their service, price or monopolistic powers.

You have no argument beyond stomping your feet and shouting it isn’t fair.

If you need to pay the annual fee and decide to pay it, paying it has value to you. You do not have to like it.

Isn’t that how monopolies work…

Monopolies is a loaded term. Monopolies are often a necessity and a good thing, which is why they are not illegal unless they are used to harm the consumer.

amen brother-- preaching to the choir here…

oh come on now!

it’s nice and warm and squishy in here… wouldn’t want any one to let us know that its actually just a pile of cr@p we inhabit…

you know, when ignorance is bliss, it might just be a higher level of living…

until we get stepped on…