Worried that this might be a shipping scam

I’ve shipped an item to Miami for a customer whose area code leads me to believe he lives in the Dominican Republic. This is the shipping address with person info edited out:

Juan XXXXXX
Appears to be PO box number
1733 NW, 79th. Avenue
Miami, Florida 33126

If you look up this address online, you’re lead to this page:
http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Corporate.Packaging.Systems.305-471-0000

Note, the address is identical EXCEPT the city says Doral rather than Miami, but they are the same Zip code and Google Maps shows them as the same.

If you read through the comments, it appears there have been some scams.

USPS, it appears, did not try to deliver the item and has it listed as Available for Pickup at the post office (“Your item arrived at the MIAMI, FL 33126 post office at 10:10 am on November 10, 2014 and is ready for pickup. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.”).

So, is this some sort of scam?
What should I do now? Item just arrived today.

Thanks for any help.

JLS - did you get the “sold, ship now” email? If so, buyer’s payment was confirmed. As in my recent experience, I received an order in which the buyer listed his city twice. As per Amazon, you have to ship to the address provided by buyer. Even though it looked fishy, i sent it. It did come back and I received an e-mail from the buyer. Once the buyer knew he gave the wrong address, he apologized and it was straightened out. In short, Amazon asks that you ship to the address provided.

Nothing to worry about, the buyer will pick it up at the p.o.

Forwarder. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Sounds like a freight forwarder. I’ve shipped to them without problems.

Yes. Amazon collected payment and instructed me to ship. I shipped to the address given. Item is not available for pickup from a Miami Post Office. Not sure how he’s going to accomplish this if he does live in the DR, but other posters seem to believe everything is find, which is comforting.

I didn’t go any further than looking up the address. Many forwarders get bad reviews but they process thousands of orders and get an occasional bad review. I’m sure the percentage of good transactions massively outweighs the bad. I have never had an issue with a forwarder (knock on wood).

Did all of the people who said not to worry click through to the site? It is literally full of “Do not ship”, “This is a scam”, “This isn’t a business at all, it is a consortium of people gathered together to steal items from Ebay and Amazon sellers.” Etc.

You used Signature Confirmation, correct?

The city can be either Doral or Miami. It will get there.

The a common problem with freight forwarders is when the item arrives to the final destination (e.g., in DR) damaged. The buyer complains to the freight forwarder and the freight fowarder complains to you.

There’s no way to know whether the damage occured on way to Miami or to DR.

According to Amazon, your shipment is delivered successfully when it is signed for by the Freight Forwarder as an agent of the buyer. In theory, they are also signing that the Package has been received without external signs of damage.

If the buyer complains you can ask them to return the product as per Amazon policy. But your obligation for shipping is limited to the cost of shipping from the Forwarder. So your return label would be from the Forwarder’s address in Miami, not from the customer’s home country.

This is not usually because of issues with the freight forwarder. Their job is to receive shipments and forward them overseas to customers who have set up accounts to have their packages forwarded.

The problem you see with the feedback from other sellers is that these customers sometimes have to wait months to get their packages. If that happens, they will contact the seller who they ordered from. If they file a claim with Amazon or eBay for Item Not Received, they often win if there is no signature required upon delivery to the freight forwarder.

Your responsibility is to deliver the package to their agent, the freight forwarder. If there is a non delivery claim, you will win it as long as you received a signature on the delivery to them. For that reason, it is important to send the package with a signature required. If you do, you won’t have any problems if there is a non delivery claim.

>Miss Liz’s Books Wrote
>
>JLS - did you get the “sold, ship now” email? If so, buyer’s payment was confirmed.

Be aware! You cannot rely on the e-mail alone! It’s a common scam where someone sends a fraudulent “Sold, ship now:” e-mail when he never bought the item (he includes an address on it), and a seller sends it without verifying that it’s real, and he loses his product. While the e-mail is usually a good indicator, the only way to verify that an order went through is if it’s showing up as “Unshipped” in seller central.

I know tis doesn’t address what the OP wrote, but I don’t want anyone to get burned by this :wink:

And to respond to the OP: it sounds like (what many people before me have said) the address is for a freight forwarder. In this case, even if only for some peace of mind, it’s probably best to ship with Signature Confirmation. Since your obligation on Amazon ends as soon as the freight forwarder gets it, this will help ensure that you are protected.

Corporate Packaging Systems…ship to them weekly without problems.

closed #15