Why isn't a new variation nested under the parent when using "Add a Product" by ASIN?

I’m creating a new SKU for an ASIN that is currently FBA, so I went to “Add a Product,” typed in the ASIN, filled in the details, but when I create the new SKU, it doesn’t associate with the family.
Why is that?

One way I’ve gotten around adding a new SKU to a family it is by going to the parent in a family and adding a variation under the “Variations” tab, but it seems counter intuitive?

You do not understand variations. You have to add it to the “family”. The first way you listed, Amazon does not know it is a child.

Thank you for your reply @JwsMarket

So what is the best way to do it? Go to the parent listing, then variation tab, and then add the variation there?

Possibly because as @JwsMarket mentioned you do not quite understand variations well enough. Or maybe it’s your terminology …

To be clear -

• Top level is “Parent” ASIN
  • Second level would be “Child” ASIN … of which there can be multiple
  • On the children … you can have multiple SKUs/listings/offers (Maybe one in New FBA and one New FBM

So … creating a second “SKU” on an “ASIN” is not creating a “Child”

Hoping this makes sense … but if not feel free to point that out.

Rob

This is the best, and only, way to do it. What I mean is that, to create a new child, the ONLY way is to add a new variation inside the parent listing. That can be done either manually, through Manage Inventory, or by using file uploads, but the result is the same:

• Add a new child TO the parent.

by going to the parent in a family and adding a variation under the “Variations” tab, but it seems counter intuitive?

No, this is actually the correct method.

A parent is just a container for the children. Think of a parent listing like the frame of a dresser and each child is a drawer. If you have a standalone drawer sitting on the bed, it’s not part of what’s contained in the dresser. To actually become part of the dresser, it needs to be attached to (inserted into) the frame of the dresser.

You have to take the child (drawer) and put it inside the container parent (dresser).

The whole parent/child relationship ‘contains’ the contents that would travel with it if you picked the dresser up and moved it to another room. Each drawer (child), and its contents (SKU’s) would move with it if you moved the parent (frame). If you moved it to another room, a lone drawer that was sitting on the bed would stay on the bed, because you hadn’t made it part of the dresser.

So, if you want to create a new child (add a new drawer) to the existing dresser, you have to put the new child ASIN (drawer) into the parent container (dresser frame). The only way this can be done is to modify the parent (dresser frame).

When you create a parent listing, you tell it: These are your children.

If you sell red, green, blue, and yellow widgets, but only tell the parent that blue, green, and yellow are it’s children, how can the parent know that red is also it’s child? You need to go into the parent listing and add the instruction: Red is your child.

When you create a new ASIN from scratch, you are basically creating the ‘child’ - giving it brown hair, and green eyes, making it a boy, naming it Bob etc. But you still have to go to the parent and say: Bob is your child. That step establishes the relationship between the parent and the child.

@racingroxstore thank you!

@Oneida_Books thank you!