Why does Amazon not display "list price" anymore?

On my listings, only the current price is displayed. The listing used to display the “list price” and if I had it on sale, it would also display the price before the sale with a line through it. Why does Amazon not display these prices anymore? I feel like it would make people more likely to buy your product because it would display the amount “you save” between list price and your price. Any ideas why Amazon took these away from listings? Sorry if this has been asked before. I couldn’t find anything.

I attached a photo of an example of what I’m talking about.

Thanks!

Maybe because :

• Many products don’t have it put in
  • Amazon can’t leave well enough alone

I’m well aware that it is bogus but it is a common marketing tactic that works very well at boosting sales. But this is besides the point. The point is that my product is on sale but the normal price as well as “list price” are not displaying on my product listing while they are displayed on my competitors listings. I can’t seem to find out why this is. I’m just trying to figure out if it is a glitch or if there is something I’m doing wrong.

I definitely had it put in on my listings. It made people think they are saving money. I noticed my sales drop slightly since Amazon took them off. Not sure why Amazon would do that.

Because “List Price” was bogus and an insult to the buyer’s intelligence.

What do you mean by price the same way?

I’ve been selling for 6 months now and my listings have always displayed the “list price” that I put in, the “actual price”, as well as the sale price if it is on sale. But yesterday, the list price went away. And when I put it on sale, the actual price went away as well. The only price that is displayed is the current price, whether that is the sale price or regular price. So now it doesn’t display the savings in dollars and percentage like it used to. But when I look at my competitors listings, it has a list price with a line through it, and current price with a line through it, and then the sale price in red, with the amount you save and the percentage you save. It is just weird because it just happened over night. One day they are there and one day they are not. I noticed some other listings are the same way. Not everyone seems to be affected. I attached a before and after photo.

The MSRP is whatever I say it is. It’s my own branded product. The product listing page was created by me, specifically for my product. So the “list price” and any other price displayed on the page is created by me. Besides, all my prices are lower than my competitors anyways so that shouldn’t be the problem. I guess I’ll just have to contact Amazon support in the morning and find out what’s up.

Actually, the “list price” is the “manufacturers suggested retail price” (according to Amazon). And since I am the manufacturer of my product, I can suggest any price I see fit (even though I don’t always sell it at that price). Like if Apple were to suggest a retail price of $999 for an iPhone and then ATT sells it for $899. The “list” price would be $999 but ATT’s price would be $899.

According to Amazon, It’s just a +suggested+ price. See attached image.

Also, I want to point out that I am not having a “pretend sale”. I’m just having a “suggested price” and then an “actual price”. The “suggested price” that I have is based on how my competitors are pricing their similar items.

You might want to check to see what amazon thinks the suggested list price is for the item – if MSRP is lower than your sale prices, what you are talking about is how the display would normally show. Only when the MSRP is higher do you get the fancier price display.
And I’ve seen shifting MSRP values on a number of products.

On the other hand, this is amazon we’re talking about…

Actually I made a mistake above - you cannot set an MSRP to be “anything you want it to be”.

FTC guidelines on manufacturer suggested retail prices state that retailers must not create +“a deceptive comparison” between the suggested retail price and the actual retail price, for example, by having manufacturers suggest intentionally inflated prices so retailers may advertise “fictitious price reductions.”+

That’s pretty clear. You cannot do what you have just admitted to doing.

There have been several lawsuits filed against large retailers about sham MSRPs recently. Maybe that is the reason for Amazon’s change. Maybe Amazon has seen the writing on the wall and decided to avoid a damaging lawsuit and the even worse national press resulting from displaying sham list prices and the resulting “deceptive comparisons” and “fictitious price reductions”.

Amazon sometimes shows things on some listings and not on others. Are your competitors’ pricing items the same way as you?

It’s also illegal, at least in New York State (and I suspect many others). You cannot have a “pretend sale” by posting a bogus list price.
> The MSRP is whatever I say it is. It’s my own branded product. The product listing page was created by me, specifically for my product. So the “list price” and any other price displayed on the page is created by me.
True, but the MSRP is not the same as the List Price. The list price quoted for a sale has to be a price that the item normally sells at +and has sold at+. New York Law, but Amazon sells in New York. The New York Law is specifically designed to stop what you are doing - holding a perpetual sale that is not a sale at all.

It is about time. I’m sick of seeing $8 products advertised with $50 list price with some outrageous percentage off. I also believe shady seller were manipulating rankings by doing this.

You could be right. And that could be why Amazon is doing this. When I first posted this question, only some listings seemed to be affected. Which is why I was confused in the first place. Now, it seems that all the listings I click on are affected. So you are probably right that Amazon is just covering its ass.

I just want to point out though, that I wasn’t trying to be +deceptive+ to customers. I mean, Amazon gives you the option to put a suggested price. And my suggested price was based on what my competitors were actually selling their products for and was only a couple bucks more than I am retailing it for. So it wasn’t like I was dramatically inflating my MSRP.

That’s different. The iPhone actually sells at $999 on the apple site and people buy it at that price. So that is a real sale.
> According to Amazon, It’s just a +suggested+ price. See attached image.
Suggested or not, it’s an inflated MSRP and violates FTC rules, not to mention NY and CA state consumer protection laws. I didnt make this up off the top of my head - I actually went to NY and CA consumer protection sites and to the FTC site and read the rules about MSRPs.
> Also, I want to point out that I am not having a “pretend sale”. I’m just having a “suggested price” and then an “actual price”.
Sorry, but that’s kind of the definition of a Pretend Sale. If, as you say, you never sell it at the MSRP, it’s a false comparison.

Don’t get me wrong - I am not saying you were trying to fool customers. This isn’t a gotcha post. If it came across that way I apologize. I’m just trying to say why Amazon may be ending the practice of displaying List Prices. You were doing what you thought was an acceptable marketing technique (it is very common). But it turns out to be in violation of several consumer protection laws, and apparently Amazon has come to the same conclusion.

I hadn’t actually noticed that list prices were disappearing, I haven’t looked, so I take your word that they are. I’m glad to see them go - I never thought they reflected real-world prices. I once bought some tomato stakes on Amazon that had a “list price” of $29.95 and I could buy them all day at my local Lowes for $6.95. I think you will agree that some sellers have abused the list price.

Written by: Joe Keenan

In a major shift for e-commerce, Amazon.com is quietly changing how it entices people to buy. The retailer built a reputation and hit $100 billion in annual revenue by offering deals. The first thing a visitor saw was a bargain: how much an item was reduced from its list price. Now, in many cases, Amazon has dropped any mention of a list price. There’s just one price. Take it or leave it.

Total Retail’s Take: Pricing transparency has been a hot topic of late, with many lawsuits sprouting up over the value of stores’ (offline and online) so-called discounts. Amazon’s solution: remove the list price altogether so consumers are blind to the fact of whether they’re getting a good deal or not. The retailer has built such a massive audience — and continues to attract more shoppers with its Prime program — and is betting that those loyal customers have become conditioned to expect that they’re getting a good deal when purchasing from Amazon, and therefore don’t have to look elsewhere for the same or similar product. It’s a risk, but likely to pay off — much like everything else Amazon seems to try.

closed #17