Why did Amazon take a 52% Fee on a $9 Book I Sold?

They took $4.74 on a $9 book I sold which I find ridiculous especially as they only took $4 on a $15 book I sold which I found reasonable. I will be reconsidering using Ebay instead of Amazon in the future.

If you look at the fee break-down, the shipping and fixed fees would be the same for a penny book or a $50 book.

If you sold a $5 book the total fees would be closer to 100% for the total sale.

The fixed fees are a killer for low-dollar sales.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Thanks I guess I never sold anything this low before on Amazon and probably will never again because of this. Its just not worth my time particularly for a 2 pound weighing large book

There is $1.80 that is charged on any book on top of the 99 cent individual selling fee.

So figure $2.79 is going to come out no matter what price you sell. At $100 it is negligable but at $10 it is a bigger deal.

Bingo!

Zero profit or break even is @ $7.00 selling price in media. I think @Lake posted this some time ago.

If you haven’t, activate the “Estimated Fee per Unit Sold” on your Manage Inventory page. Then no unpleasant surprises.

Thanks

Heck, my children aren’t millennials. Grandchildren – yes.

I used to rag on millennials. Then I learned I am technically a millennial myself, at the ripe age of 39 :frowning:

Thanks for sharing

It’s not generally a profitable venture to sell books on Amazon under $10, unless you are a mega bookseller. Even if you sell a book for $8.00, the tiny profit you make isn’t worth the time unless you have a system in place to process thousands of books.

And the heavier the book, the higher the postage will be, so the profit will be even less (or the loss greater). So you might consider setting a minimum price that’s higher for your heavier books than for those weighing under one pound.

(Sorry, that post was meant to be addressed to the OP rather than to AmazonSeller99.)