user profile
Sign in
user profile

Why did Amazon take a 52% Fee on a $9 Book I Sold?

by Seller_5Zn2TzZZNDtM9

They took $4.74 on a $9 book I sold which I find ridiculous especially as they only took $4 on a $15 book I sold which I found reasonable. I will be reconsidering using Ebay instead of Amazon in the future.

Tags: International expansion
33 replies
33 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_WQj6Zg0jH6DBA
In reply to: Seller_5Zn2TzZZNDtM9's post

If you look at the fee break-down, the shipping and fixed fees would be the same for a penny book or a $50 book.

If you sold a $5 book the total fees would be closer to 100% for the total sale.

The fixed fees are a killer for low-dollar sales.

user profile
Seller_nstkdGWZl0SW0
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_6OMUOUOVkLhf5

Zero profit or break even is @ $7.00 selling price in media. I think @Lake posted this some time ago.

user profile
Seller_ToPPYvOWlyp9j

If you haven’t, activate the “Estimated Fee per Unit Sold” on your Manage Inventory page. Then no unpleasant surprises.

user profile
Seller_ZkZ70qpfqXZYh

I used to rag on millennials. Then I learned I am technically a millennial myself, at the ripe age of 39

user profile
Seller_Wun3v7a8dXJDQ

It’s not generally a profitable venture to sell books on Amazon under $10, unless you are a mega bookseller. Even if you sell a book for $8.00, the tiny profit you make isn’t worth the time unless you have a system in place to process thousands of books.

user profile
Seller_0lcPE7gkXNIAT

Amazon takes 15% of the selling price and postage -$1.94, a $1.80 “fee” and a $1.00 fee if you are not a professional seller. This adds up to $4.74. You always should check what your cost will be before listing something. I try not to list anything under $10 anymore and let the big guys have the cheap stuff.

user profile
Seller_KAiI7r7mjHBV7

To sell a $9 book, no way. My minimum price is around $12 now and that is even too low. By the time Amazon takes their fees from that, it’s not really worth the risk of Coronavirus going to the Post Office.

Amazon probably figured out a way to discourage the sale of lower priced books which would increase their Kindle sales and also decrease their seller competition at the same time.

user profile
Seller_I6kTg4hsoQQp6

Thanks to everyone on this forum! I’m an occasional seller, mainly to relieve my groaning shelves! I’ve been looking at my inventory and the fees, and considering deleting some low-priced books. The guidelines some have posted are very helpful. I’ve decided a $10 cut-off now seems reasonable for me (unless a very small, easy to handle paperback).

user profile
Seller_Q82xwTPpR2vtg

I don’t hear Bic complaining.

Go to original post