What's the point of reporting wrong images on product pages

. . . if Amazon will not do anything about it?

I created this listing in February 2013: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F1ZKNW

Along comes another seller (see the “Collectible” item, which is not actually collectible but a completely different recording). Amazon allows this other seller to replace the main photo and change the record label information.

Either that or two ASINs were merged, and Amazon took some info from each product page and created a hybrid product that does not exist.

Now the photo shows the wrong work (Concerto No. 2 vs. No. 4), the wrong soloist, the wrong conductor, and the wrong orchestra. I reported the image and received this canned rejection:

Greetings from Amazon.com,

Thank you for giving us feedback on images through our Image Feedback Form. We have reviewed your submission for the following product:

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 4, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Vladimir Ashkenazy, Andre Previn
ASIN: B004F1ZKNW

We have determined that no change needs to be made to the product image you have specified. However, if you are the rightsholder for this product, please visit www.amazon.com/images to find instructions for providing a replacement image.

Correct product images are important to Amazon.com. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with this information.

Sincerely,

Product Imaging Department

Report the seller for listing on the wrong page.

This is a seller who has screwed up a lot of pages.

Then report the image again.

You got one of the lazy folks who don’t bother to read or understand the problem.

You can contact seller support through a live chat on iventory and explain this to them again. They ought to be able to correct it for you.

The other option is to just create another page and migrate away from the one that was changed.

I reported the image again, but not the seller.

First, I don’t know if the seller is on the wrong page because of a merge, and also I found that other details had been changed to match that seller’s “Collectible” LP.

Second, it’s too much of a hassle to report the other seller.

There’s no way I’m going to spend more time reporting this problem to Cellar Support.

I did create a new product page, and deleted my listing from the one that was changed.

It was a PIA, but I prefer doing that to wasting time trying to explain what’s wrong with the photo and the listing a second or third time.

The seller is on the wrong page because they specialize in sloppy feeds.

Everything is collectible because they copy the same condition in most of their listings.

Edited by: Lake on Apr 1, 2014 8:05 AM

There’s no way you’re going to take the time to report this seller? Then, why bother us about it at all? Go cry somewhere else.

Some intentionally list every last item as “collectible” because there is no “update product info” link on the product description page for that category.

If there is no update product info link, that is not an excuse for listing on the wrong page. Sellers should create a new product page if the item they have for sale does not match any existing pages.

Edited to add: Sellers should NOT use the “update product info” link to change the product page to a completely different product. I would like to see all of these links removed from all Amazon product pages.

Some sellers use the Collectible category in an effort to showcase their ordinary items that do happen to match the product page.

It’s bogus and cynical. They figure a buyer will be attracted to “Collectible” and not realize that it’s just the same product that everyone else is selling, but with an inflated price.

Edited by: onpegasus on Apr 1, 2014 7:56 AM

Amazon plays “wack-a-mole” with these things. As long as the end customer (buyer) doesn’t get stuck holding the turd, they believe all is well. If Amazon can retain that buyer’s business by issuing refunds from the seller’s account and/or letting them keep merchandise that was never theirs, all is well. The problem with this “wack-a-mole” strategy is that it fails to recognize third-party sellers as customers and will ultimately lead to a mass exodus of suppliers the instant a viable competitor has been established.

Lake, I took a look at that seller’s storefront. Every single item in the first several pages is listed as “Collectible.”

I don’t even want to know what they’ve done to the other pages they are listed on.

:frowning:

They are slow to respond to image requests and usually don’t do much

Contact seller support. You can also upload your own images for most ASINs

Sometimes it is just not worth the effort to try and get Amazon to change something like this. You do your part and get a stock response or one that shows that Amazon never read what the problem was or never researched any of the details. Amazon had better wake up and spend more time on these issues or it will become their downfall. I have seen to many businesses that did not listen to the marketplace or their customers and eventually closed their doors. Might not be tomorrow but issues like this will just keep piling up until the hill of issues finally collapses.

Well I get your frustration on this, but by not reporting this seller they will continue to do this and you may find they continue to hijack your sales. This also leads a bad example for other sellers and encourages them to do the same.

I find the best way to submit to SS is to use a screenshot of the page. Edit it and circle in Red the mistakes and in Green the Correct. Submit their mage with the request and explain briefly the wrong and correct information referring to the image.

I get a better response and correction rate on the first attempt when I do this.

I hear you, but I have already reported the photo twice, with no correction forthcoming.

That’s the limit of the free labor I am willing to donate to Amazon to help them clean up their site.

FYI, this seller has 65,181 items listed on Amazon.

I’ve done the math.

Allowing errors, duplication, and contradictions in the catalog affects buyers as well as sellers. As a buyer of books and music, I am sometimes so frustrated by the inaccuracies in the catalog. Other web sites mange to maintain superior catalogs, and if/when any approach the size of Amazon’s, buyers will migrate there.

closed #17