What does this mean in Agreement under "License"?

Please explain this. As a self published author/illustrator selling on Amazon, I am rather nervous about this statement.
“You grant us a royalty-free, non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable right and license to use, reproduce, perform, display, distribute, adapt, modify, re-format, create derivative works of, and otherwise commercially or non-commercially exploit in any manner, any and all of Your Materials…”

It means that if you put up a product image, they can use it without compensating you, for the purposes of marketing your products.

And you didn’t quote the more important part of that:

>. . . to the extent that such use is allowable without a license from you or your affiliates under applicable law (e.g., fair use under copyright law, referential use under trademark law, or valid license from a third party

meaning that if they wanted to start making T-shirts with your image on them, they understand that they would need a license for that.

I don’t think there are any known cases of Amazon suddenly marketing products with people’s images on them. Other sellers, on the other hand . . .

bunga bunga!

I can see why that would be daunting. It seems like a very broad and over-arching policy. I’m curious of anyone in a similar position can explain what this means practically from their experience.

I believe this offers a license for the contents of your listing, it cannot be applied to the work you are selling.

Thank you!

We pulled our video on demand films from amazon due to they wanted to use them free on amazon prime. and also wanted Us to pay them $6 a minute to have a company they own subtitle them in Spanish, English and closed captions . Changing a 6 year old agreement. Be careful when dealing with amazon.

That’s not even close to the same thing.

bunga bunga!

closed #8