user profile
Sign in
user profile

We can't call/text customers as a last resort when Amazon messaging fails?

by Seller_QW5DRCbD1YkJf

Just found this out. This is grand. Amazon clearly doesn’t trust it’s sellers. Are they paranoid we are going to push for an off platform transaction on a $20 sale? There’s a great business decision accounting for time spent.

Many Amazon buyers do not know how to find messaging on the site or mobile app. And as another seller advised, many may have a defunct email address they don’t check or the messages go to the Spam filter - this doesn’t work, the seller is blamed for not responding, negative left, and good sellers are popped off the platform if they are smaller and can’t absorb a negative (more than 1 in 100 in 3 months can lead to suspension, right?)

The context here is last resort - the customer reaches out, usually to customer support who relays it to the seller, but does not get the seller’s response. It becomes clear through several interactions they aren’t getting the seller’s replies. Only then would I consider calling or texting.

Note, I don’t have any issue with reaching customers on eBay messaging, ever.

So why is this an actual rule? It seems we have more rules to follow around customer interaction than most minimum wage box retail employees do. Is Amazon over-optimizing on customer experience? Why do they think that most customers don’t want to interact? The negatives I get around this are customers that desperately want to interact but are just not…conscientious enough to look well enough. My proposal is it should be allowed after several failed messaging attempts initiated by the customer.

Tags: Customer
99 replies
99 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_dTVuU1KrkeumE
In reply to: Seller_QW5DRCbD1YkJf's post

Amazon is customer centered. Majority of customers do not want to be contacted so Amazon made it a rule. It sucks sometimes when buyers opt out of messages.

user profile
Seller_DDezjy66gGzaC

I agree with you…It is a pain dealing with spoiled Amazon customers who sting you every time there is an issue…and many have their messages Blocked …it is becoming more difficult

user profile
Seller_la6yWqhB9Jzwb

Policy has been in place for about 2 years now, including a mention at the top of every single FBM order page, so … just found this out?

The reason why? Likely many many sellers abused the privilege, called and texted for feedback, or for begging to withdraw A2Z’s or who knows.

This is why we can’t have nice things, etc.

user profile
Seller_BnKqB1Lv72mD8

When I buy anything online, the last thing I want is a phone call. Sure, the mere suggestion of calling a customer to beg for feedback sounds ludicrous to you, but certainly not for everyone. If I got a phone call from a 3P seller every time I ordered on Amazon, I would stop ordering on Amazon pretty damn quick. Tell me you wouldn’t do the same.

user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

Unlike ebay, many Amazon shoppers buy a lot of items on the site. I’ve ordered 20+ items before in one order all from different sellers. If I got a call from even half of the 20 sellers, I’d never shop on Amazon again.

user profile
Seller_NicTNyeewsr2A

Not paranoid, that’s exactly what people were doing before they got so many complaints they had to make a rule, and they enforce it strictly.

And think about it. If I make some minor purchase here, the last thing i want is for them to call me a few months later and try to sell me another phone cord or knick nack. Would it be handy for things I sell that actually are repeat purchases? sure, but if you allow that, you’re opening a door that will be abused.

user profile
Seller_dxNiJ3wL98iWT

They are Amazon’s customers, not yours

Amazon wants as little contact between you and them, as possible

Learn your place

user profile
Seller_FhQDcyz1xOtWB

If you mark the message as “more information needed” as the topic, it is supposed to override any message opt out settings the buyer has. You may be sending messages but Amazon is never delivering the mail because the buyers have declined that setting.

user profile
Seller_CCsnOjHB2K3dN

I finally had to snail mail someone today the entire message thread from beginning of September until now with the link to check messages in there account center because they had opted out of messaging and was starting to get hateful.

user profile
Seller_dxNiJ3wL98iWT

If you call me after a purchase, you get negative feedback

When I go to the grocery store and buy 50 different items, I don’t want any of those brands calling me

Go to original post