user profile
Sign in
user profile

We can no longer disable FBA repackaging service ... Amazon has added a Refurbishment Settings

by Seller_cu1Lr54OxusWw

I know this should be in the FBA Forum section but very few “Used as new” suspensions start off there … and I believe this change will increase these complaints and suspensions.

So …

Amazon has changed things and I’m not seeing where anyone has mentioned it.

FBA repackaging service is gone when you go into your Fulfillment by Amazon setting in Seller Central and Settings (top right) and can no longer be “disabled”.

Per the “Learn more” help page - “Repackaging is automatic for eligible items, while refurbishment is an optional service.”

The replacement is - Refurbishment Settings > Refurbish Unsellable Customer Returns:

Learn more …

Repackaging services

FBA repackages your eligible customer returns so that they can be sold as new.

Refurbishment services

Additional packaging services are available through optional refurbishment. Depending on the item, FBA can re-tape, re-glue, and re-staple boxes; remove excessive tape, non-product labels, and stickers; and re-box branded and unbranded corrugated boxes. Shoes and apparel refurbishment can include steaming and removing stains and odors.

So what are everyone’s thoughts on this?

Personally …

1. I can’t believe there was no mention of it anywhere.

2. With Amazon deciding to repackage at their discretion I can image more “Used as new” issues.

3. How is Amazon refurb’ing not going to bring about a whole lot more “Used as new” complaints? (see edit below)

Edit to add

After a bit of discussion I want to point out a few things.

First these posts : by @jimnew and by @Rushdie which draw attention to what Amazon is actually doing here.

It seems that the Refurbishment services is not actually explained by Amazon as to what is happening! My, as well as many others, thoughts were that just like the Repackaging services the items were to be put back into your inventory for resale. NOT!

Based on those posts (and some others), PM’s with @Rushdie and research … we are seeing this from Amazon … Amazon is basically “rebranding” another brands product as their new Amazon Renewed brand and using the same images.

No IP Rights violations here huh Amazon?

Also at question is:

• Is the item moved over to ‘Amazon Renewed’ completely?
  • Reimbursement … If not in full then how much and how is that decided?
  • Is the seller reimbursed at the time of the move or at the sale?
Tags: FBA, Fulfillment, Packaging, Shipping labels, USPS
86 replies
86 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_oEw5wUNHgJxxP
In reply to: Seller_cu1Lr54OxusWw's post

Thank you for bringing this up. And thank you for the hep you gave us what must be 10 years ago now when we started on this channel.

Over the years we have perfected our packaging to make sure that when a customer returns the item it is clear it should not be resold.

If this is true, it is a major error and will cause issues as you indicate with new vs. used items. As well as items not matching the catalog page. Heck, we get competitors items back each month on our recall of returned items.

This is going to be a hot mess.

user profile
Seller_8Wfpcf6cHQaPy

I’m sorry, but this is absolutely disgusting:

Shoes and apparel refurbishment can include steaming and removing stains and odors.

I knew this would be a problem, when they started Prime Wardrobe, but disabling a seller’s option to turn off re-packaging services, is going to be a nightmare for sellers and buyers.

This needs to be fought tooth and nail. Sellers who do not want Amazon repackaging their returns, sincerely need to fight this.

user profile
Seller_YZqZQFMixqA3B

This is a really stupid idea conjured up by people who work for Amazon that have an IQ of a door knob. We could barely get anything classified as “unfulfillable” before and have had items deactivated because the morons at the returns FC just assume everything is fine and the stuff gets sent back out only to get customer complaints. You hit the nail on the head when bringing up the fact that the amount of “new sold as used” suspensions and complaints will increase. In my opinion, some sellers will be more affected than others but it will still be an increase in the number of negative customer experiences.

For most decisions, I can understand why Amazon does what it does (right or wrong), but for this one I am completely stumped. The head that thought of this policy needs to be sterilized so they can’t reproduce their stupidity and ignorance.

user profile
Seller_kDUYD2rH6SNOB

We were surprised this thread didn’t get noticed four days ago.

user profile
Seller_MGkCKYDAZkNDG

Yeserday I noticed that Amazon is selling my product. They created new listing with different ASIN. Amazon clearly stated that the item was repackaged and price is lowered. The seller is Amazon Warehouse. This is new approach by Amazon. I have no control over this new ASIN page.

user profile
Seller_sUfyk7ajzPzny

Nail, meet hammer.

This subject was actually broached last weekend, prior to the hoorah first being raised in other venues of late, by our friend Pedrick in this thread:

As a result of seeing that Pedrick (among others who raised the topic in the next few days) is correct, we are currently considering the costs of beefing up our ‘anti-tamper packaging’ methodologies, and trying to determine the likelihood of there actually being satisfactory ROI available thereby, for a variety of the products for which we have FBA Offers.

As of yet, I’m not seeing even the merest glimmer of light at the end of tunnel…I harbor no illusions that this ill-considered change from what was already an unsatisfactory norm will not result in exactly what you and our friends Image, Rush, Uncle Leroy, and PrimeTime are concerned about: dissatisfied buyers.

`Tis a rare occasion when one can effectually fix stupid, in any case; when one doubles down on that paradigm, as is surely obvious to even the most-casual of observers actually is the case here, chaos is sure to ensue…

user profile
Seller_Wun3v7a8dXJDQ

This has got to be one of the dumbest policies ever.

1. Repackage seller items on FBA without seller’s consent.
  2. Sell said items as new.
  3. When customer complains “Used as New” blame the seller, charge the seller and ding his/her account.
  4. Eventually suspend listing or seller.
  5. Make seller admit it’s their fault and beg to have their account/listing reinstated.

Did I miss anything?

user profile
Seller_OBdaXqVdfOPb7

Amazon, as it were, really needs to stick to just running the site and keep their hands off of inventory. It’s getting comical at this point.

user profile
Seller_WJ45jTaFozM7g

Customers order items, remove parts and then return. They also switch with inferior products and return. We already receive some complaints of missing parts from products that are perfect when we send them to FBA. This will absolutely cause more complaints!

user profile
Seller_IIDp2uHskKGuI

I was able to put it on “Disabled”

Go to original post