user profile
Sign in
user profile

Variation theme attributes - inconsistent hierarchy for attribute placement among XSD

by Seller_Rd5OAHH4PVHCJ

Hey all,

I’ve been running through variation theme attributes for product variants and am a bit perplexed as to if there’s any consistency into where these attributes are expected to appear.

As an example:

• Jewelry defines Color as an available Variation Theme, and the Color element is defined as a child of (The top level category element)
<Jewelry>
  <Color>Red</Color>
</Jewelry>
  • Shoes defines Color as an available Variation Theme, and the Color element is defined as a child of
<Shoes>
  <VariationData>
    <-- But now color is nested under this element? -->
    <Color>Red</Color>
  </VariationData>
</Shoes>

These XSD definitions seem to imply that the attribute for product variations have no consistent location in a product feed, am I understanding this correctly?

In order to allow our customers to submit products under categories, do we essentially have to hand-map these attributes to specific locations on every single category XSD? Or is there something I’m missing that makes the the location of these attributes consistent across categories?

Side note: Some of these variation themes don’t even define related elements for their attributes, i.e. TiresAndWheels has Color as an available theme but does not include a Color element anywhere inside the XSD. What gives with these themes?

Tags: Fees
2 replies
2 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_a8169BduAGvq6
In reply to: Seller_Rd5OAHH4PVHCJ's post

Each category has their own way of handling these structures and you will need to map each one of them individually.

user profile
Seller_cu1Lr54OxusWw
In reply to: Seller_Rd5OAHH4PVHCJ's post

Yes you do. These have been built over the years without the consistency of using previous schemas. Some will even have ColorName instead of Color.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post