Utility Bill, Business Licence, Active Listings

I’ve got suspended by Amazon because:
A) I did not have a credit card and keyed in my debit card info instead.
B) As you know, Amazon sends out a review email requesting for a utility bill, business licence and any active listings. Not knowing that I had to produce only the type of documents that Amazon wants (after reading threads here), I made several appeals stating things the way I understood it and uploading a bank statement (as I do not have a gas, electricity or water bill in my name as of now) instead.

As of Now:

1. I will be contacting my bank to get a credit card set up, as I only have a debit card.
  2. Utility Bill: Does a mobile phone bill count as a utility bill? I don’t have any other bills in my name at the moment.
  3. Business Licence, “if applicable”: My account is currently individual, do I really need to get a business licence to satisfy Amazon?
  4. Active Listings: I assume that I don’t need to address this point as I do not have any listings at the moment.

As for Points 3 and 4, I would like to refer to a comment written on 15 Aug by Boardsgames4Us in a thread covering a similar topic:
“Amazon wants reputable businesses…You “should” (have or plan to) get a business license. That is not based on being a company or a sole proprietor. Most communities require the business license to operate a business - even in your own home.
Regarding invoices. If you are operating a business, you need inventory. You should have purchased or be prepared to purchase inventory. Without that, you really have no business. Ideally, you should already have been operating a business before starting up on Amazon.
I do think that you may have already passed the point where they will take you seriously.
You should consider the business license and contact your suppliers to check into the option to purchase a starting quantity of inventory, but on terms that will allow you to cancel the purchase or return unsold items within 30 days for a refund on the product costs and accept the shipping costs as a business loss.
That would be your only option for an appeal.
The problem is that you are not committed and without that, Amazon is not interested.”

Yes, I will get a business licence in the very near future. However, how am I supposed to have any listings when I have not even set up a simple thing like my amazon seller account yet? How can I commit to buying products when I don’t even have the surety of being able to sell here? Do I really need to have any listings to show Amazon in order to get my account reinstated?

1. My seller account is still accessible but is currently “closed” because I am not able to sell (I requested closure of account and Amazon said that my account is effectively “closed” as I am not allowed to sell on Amazon, however my account still remains accessible and not “closed” as I imagine it to be). Will Amazon ever reinstate my account if I do produce the right documents?

Questions about Documents Requested for New Seller Account
Questions about Documents Requested for New Seller Account

Please read: Info: Why was my account suspended, immediately after registration?

1. I will be contacting my bank to get a credit card set up, as I only have a debit card.

That’a a start.

2. Utility Bill: Does a mobile phone bill count as a utility bill? I don’t have any other bills in my name at the moment.

Yes, a mobile phone bill is fine.

3. Business Licence, “if applicable”: My account is currently individual, do I really need to get a business licence to satisfy Amazon?

No, you do not need a business license.

4. Active Listings: I assume that I don’t need to address this point as I do not have any listings at the moment.

Correct. No listings, nothing for you to submit.

However, you cannot just close and open Amazon seller accounts.

I sincerely hope, you did not complete the process, as outlined here: Close your seller account.

My seller account is still accessible but is currently “closed” because I am not able to sell (I requested closure of account and Amazon said that my account is effectively “closed” as I am not allowed to sell on Amazon, however my account still remains accessible and not “closed” as I imagine it to be). Will Amazon ever reinstate my account if I do produce the right documents?

Yes. when you send your real credit cad, correct matching addresses, and a utility bill in your name. :train2:

This is not the same as closed. To Amazon if you are suspended then they consider it “closed” … however it is not truly closed.

This is the email I received:
Hello,

We received your request to close your account. Once a seller may no longer sell on the site, it effectively closes the account.
Sincerely,
Seller Performance Team

So being “closed” in suspension is not the same as closing an account? So if in my case, I want to close an account, I will need to remove my suspension first?

Yes, I did request closure and received this email:

“We received your request to close your account. Once a seller may no longer sell on the site, it effectively closes the account.
Sincerely,
Seller Performance Team”

Why am I still able to log into my account then? It should have been closed weeks ago. Why I attempted to close it was because I wanted to re-register using the same email address. It seems that my account isn’t truly ‘closed’. Do you think it is effectively closed now? If so, how am I supposed to re-register when I still have this account open?

I don’t think you need to be un-suspended to close your account. As long as you have no open orders, you should be able to do that.

However, as noted, once closed, it can NEVER be re-opened. When you close the Amazon account, it is forever and could also affect anyone else from the same household or same address.

If you ever want to try this again, you should stop at a downgrade to Individual (which you stated you were) and consider if you want to address the concerns regarding the suspension.

If you never intend to do that, it would be best to close the account in case somehow, someone else gets into your account, addresses your suspension (fraudulently) and uses your goodwill to start ripping others off and destroying your reputation in the process.

Dave

So am I still able to submit/update my documents with this account? Or is it closed and I can’t remove my suspension?

Why am I still able to log in if it is already closed then? Who should I listen to? Everyone is saying something different. I need to get this sorted out soon. Moreover who knows what is going on, with Amazon taking very long to respond to me - I do not know whether my account is closed and they aren’t going to respond to me at all or if they will still respond to me only if I produce the right documents.

No it is not the same. I’ve dealt with this several times before. (So I’m not guessing here)

Just as Amazon tells you …

You can still appeal and get the account opened.

Yes

Your account is NOT CLOSED. If you want to address the suspension, you can and should.
If you DO NOT want to address the suspension, you will need to request the account to be CLOSED.
That is irreversible and permanent, but better to do if you have no future plans to address the suspension and want to sell on Amazon in the future.

Your call.

Dave

Thanks, but your statement seems contradicting, because I already said that I have requested closure (so that I could re-register), yet it is not closed (because I am still able to log in).

From the way Amazon puts it, being unable to sell (aka suspended) means closure. Therefore lifting suspension (ie being able to sell again) should mean non-closure.

I believe what you’re saying in essence is that my account is not closed and the matter can still be settled through my open (pun unintended) account.

Thank you for your straightforward reply.

I am sorry.

You are just not reading it right and I really do not think I can explain it more plainly.

Your choices are:

1. close the account
  2. address the suspension

I will not try to explain further why.

Dave

Interestingly, the course that I am taking for Amazon Private Labelling has replied me in regard to having to use a credit card (and not a debit card):

“As far as we are aware, Amazon does not require a credit card to set up an account, a debit card can also be used. We have heard of international residents having issues with receiving/making payments through Amazon that can lead to random suspensions (Suspensions when creating the account are nothing unusual, this happens a lot). If it is the case that your bank/cards are causing the issue I would recommend looking into 3rd party solutions - we recommend OFX for which a module can be found in the academy but there are many online like Payoneer or Wetransfer, do a search and find one that will suit your needs.”

I have keyed in my debit card details without any rejection. It’s confusing because I don’t know who to listen to.

Everyone responding to you on this thread thus far has given you the best advice you are going to get on the entire forum.

You have hit more than a trifecta with the experts who have responded to you. You could not have asked for better help than from those that have responded.

You need a credit card.

They need to be able to charge you in case your sales balance does not cover your bills with amazon so to speak.

Get a credit card on file and you probably will be up and running in no time.

And I will add, that once your account IS closed, there is no way to “re-register”.

But you do have to be un-suspended. You can not close a suspended account …

I don’t know that we can definitively say that …

Close your account

“However, if you choose to close your account, Amazon can’t reactivate or reinstate closed accounts. So if you want to sell on Amazon in the future, you’ll need to sign up again at https://services.amazon.com.”

I wouldn't want to test this out myself though ...

I called my bank up and they said that I can use my personal debit card and companies classify debit card under credit card, and my debit card also acts like a credit card, mine bearing a Mastercard logo on it. I will give this a try, changing my credit card name to my passport name (just confirmed with my bank it is ok to do so). If this fails I will try to get a credit card.

Very thankful for all the comments and advice here. I wish Amazon were much more forthcoming like in the past (from what I have seen in threads from years ago) - they sent detailed responses to people’s queries.