user profile
Sign in
user profile

USPS Shipping Delays due to Coronavirus

by Seller_nkr30pZmc5Jrc

I just created a Make A Suggestion Case on Amazon with the below message, but thought I’d share with the Forum since I don’t see any mention of it by anyone…

Just wanted to make a suggestion to Amazon that it either needs to extend the Deliver By date range on orders by another week or put a special note out there on all Marketplace purchases to: Please Allow Extra Delivery Time Due To The Coronavirus.

Yesterday I spent a few hours looking up USPS tracking numbers on all shipped orders starting on 3/20, and day by day the parcel movement through the system is getting slower and slower. By the time I got to our 3/25 shipped orders, NOTHING has moved past the first USPS Regional Distribution Center, so all orders are starting to look as late. All Marketplace sellers using USPS are going to have the same issues!

An intelligent buyer should realize there will now be delays, but Amazon should be PROACTIVE and make these delays known either with the suggested message or by extending the delivery by dates. Thank you!

Tags: USPS
128 replies
128 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_hA060q8nqygew
In reply to: Seller_nkr30pZmc5Jrc's post

Just wanted to make a suggestion to Amazon that it either needs to extend the Deliver By date range on orders by another week

Are you serious??? Amazon is already ruining our sales by falsely telling buyers deliveries won’t arrive until April 20 and now you want them to push that to the 27th??? No no no no no!

Yesterday I spent a few hours looking up USPS tracking numbers on all shipped orders starting on 3/20

You might consider that any issue you are seeing might be limited to your particular location, which could of course, require adjusting your delivery promises to buyers. But plenty of sellers, myself included, are not seeing any delays and to the contrary, many are seeing even faster delivery than normal.

I spot checked my listings, and nearly everything I’ve shipped by first class or priority mail has been delivered in only 2 or 3 days. A few rare ones have taken 4 days, but nothing longer than that. I’m in Portland OR so not having the same issues you are. I ship through USPS exclusively.

There’s no need for Amazon to be falsely telling customers I can’t deliver until April 20!!! And I certainly disagree with adding an unnecessary week on top of that.

Sellers know their business, and how their carriers are performing in their area, better than Amazon does. I’m disgusted by what they’ve done as it completely misleads shoppers as to what expectations they should have.

user profile
Seller_WQj6Zg0jH6DBA

They’re already doing this, but I must admit to not being a fan of the process.

It’s big-brother interference.

We can adjust our own handling and transit times. It is our responsibility to monitor our abilities and make the appropriate adjustments. Asking Amazon to do it for us is ridiculous.

If you need it done for you, I can understand, but please don’t lump all of us together.

user profile
Seller_wM0nLLkM8WJfx

I agree. Start a petition and I will sign it. Customer contacted me today that she had not received the package. The package is sitting at the USPS Distribution Center since April 2.

user profile
Seller_DZ1maDmp7Xt2o

Bookworm_Babiaks

Sounds like a personal problem intrinsic to your location, you could change all your shipping and handling to 5 days, you could ship it immediately you don’t have to wait… That will give you enough wiggle room to overcome glitches in the system…

Coast to Coast Media Mail generally takes 7 days usually, and it’s quicker if you’re closer…

I’m not having any customer complaints , my sales are up, I’m shipping every other day depending on volume… with multiple marketplaces…

user profile
Seller_WtOwWhtSrFjva

I also know that they are scanning delivered but are not delivering for 3 to 4 more days. It is creating a lot of email traffic for me.

user profile
Seller_wPxPtw5ci8IUo

Clearly you don’t read the forum. Amazon has already done this with a near universal backlash from sellers. I say “near” because I think you are the one seller that thinks this is a good idea. I ship USPS exclusively and have encountered no major delays at this time and Amazon already said in another announcement that you apparently missed, that metrics for late delivery will not be affected.

user profile
Seller_nkr30pZmc5Jrc

Thank you to all for your comments, ideas, and opinions. Sorry that I wasn’t more specific on shipping methods. In case it wasn’t obvious from our name, we primarily ship books via Standard Media Mail and those are the shipments that USPS is having a hard time with. My Priority shipments have all looked fine and delivered. And yes, for Standard our templates are already at the max 4-8 days, so can’t extend that any more. But after reading some of the comments, I can also see the argument that even if I could extend more, that could turn away buyers, with them thinking that their items will take forever to arrive, so better find another seller… Though now the Postal Service is proving that with Media Mail, it will take a while longer anyways…

So, I guess I just stand by my comment that Amazon could be more helpful with notifying buyers of possible extended delays due to the virus… I just placed an order for multiple items from Amazon and other marketplace sellers, and no where does it say anything about coronavirus delays, only that there are “some” delays and the arrival times have already been adjusted…well, Amazon sure isn’t adjusting the delivery times on my outgoing orders. Still the same default 4-8 days as always!

user profile
Seller_nkr30pZmc5Jrc

Thanks to those who showed examples of the buyer side showing a longer delivery window than the seller side. That’s helpful, just wish it would’ve started earlier because I have received multiple late delivery emails this weekend from orders 2 weeks ago which put the last date at the 8 day mark, not the extra 10 days. Bummer.

As far as my suggestion to Amazon, no worries, got a generic response from Seller Support saying they’ve already made the appropriate adjustments, so nothing going to change because of me…

user profile
Seller_CS4s7Z1qKKtgq

Your experience is not shared. If you want them to say this on your listings then, by all means. However, it sounds like it’s a problem with your local PO. All of our packages are shipping daily and being delivered normally.

user profile
Seller_Oyj3mVMZABKQy

Don’t you just love all the support you get from our fellow sellers? I ignore this forum 99% of the time because of this. Although some sellers truly care and will give honest and sound advice. I applaud them! Your question intrigued me as I am having the same trouble as you. I have one (VERY) angry buyer who purchased a book for a soldier. The book is at the base and arrived on time. However, the package has not been released - I am sure due to the COVID-19 Virus. I don’t blame them - the last thing we need is for our service men and women to fall victim to this awfulness. I will stay off of this forum and check back in one year. Perhaps that will decrease the snarky responses. Margie

Go to original post