UPC GS1 codes

Now that does sound fishy. You cannot buy GS1 codes - you can only lease them from GS1. When you buy UPCs you are buying UCC codes – GS1’s pre-2002 predecessor. Personally, I would not buy my codes from that Ebay seller, who seems a little too loose with his descriptions.

Fair enough.

However, the language just before the sentence you refer to is somewhat imposing:

We verify the authenticity of product UPCs by checking the GS1 database. UPCs that do not match the information provided by GS1 will be considered invalid.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/GLE2KYT2UVPMTYGS

Obviously, non-UPC identifiers will be safe for now — as will the pre-GS1 era numbers that work for you.

We went with GS1 in order to flog offer our Brands outside of Amazon, where there is often a more rigorous onboarding requirement.

Seems pretty clear to me. It also reflects the experiences of sellers that have posted in the forums when UPC codes from a batch they purchased through a reseller and have had for years no longer work when they go to post a new product with one of their not yet used codes.

And that is exactly what I mean by counterfeit codes. It is easy enough to make up 12-digit numbers that look like legitimate UPCs that will even pass the UPC checksum algorithm. But unless the made-up number just happens to match an existing UPC in the GS1’s database (an astronomically low probability) it will be deemed counterfeit and rejected. These are the counterfeits that I believe Amazon is rejecting, and what Amazon is referring to when they reject a UPC because it does not match the information from GS1. I have no proof, but it does explain why a larger portion of some recently purchased UPCs are being rejected, while others purchased from well-known resellers seem to have no problem.

My successful use of 3rd party UPCs where the original company name does not match my company name speaks strongly that company name is not what Amazon is looking for when they reject a UPC.

It seems pretty clear to me that the quote does not mention name-matching. Nor does it say what information GS1 provides Amazon.

I’ve been in the forum a long time and although I do not read every post, I do not remember any seller saying that a long-accepted group of UPCs suddenly became unusable. The only posts I have read that complain about UPCs not working were from new sellers who purchased from iffy resellers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

UPCs that do not match the information provided by GS1 will be considered invalid.

Notice they say doesn’t “match the information provided”. They don’t merely say codes that are not valid or not in the database are considered invalid.

The information GS1 provides include the name of the company the code is registered to.

Short story ----due your due diligence–been using them since amazon started this upc thing

How do you know that? Where are you getting this detailed information? For all I know the information provided by GS1 is simply whether or not the number matches an existing one in their database.

You may not remember it, but it has happened. As a matter of fact a seller that had that issue shared what Amazon told them directly with you, and that was not even very long ago. GS1 and barcode purchasing

[[ this post contains incorrect information. I am leaving it posted for continuity in the discussion ]]

Beauty products are a special circumstance. A specific requirement for selling Health and Beauty products is that the UPC used must be the original one created by the manufacturer. This seller was trying to rebrand the product with a different UPC. I am not surprised that the seller got asked if they were the original manufacturer. That seller was trying to rebrand “Natural Beauty Products, Inc.” products as “Ninja” products (or vice versa, I never quite figured it out). This was a listing violation, not a UPC issue, even though the OP in that thread thought it was UPC-related.

No, the prefix of the UPC code was registered to a company that sells (or sold) beauty products. The seller who was responding to you in that thread does not sell beauty items.

He was not the only seller to respond in that thread saying the same thing and that is just one of many posts in multiple threads since Amazon began checking prefixes for many new listings. I could waste all day copying and pasting dozens of links, but I don’t care that much. Sellers that use codes bought from resellers can choose to risk them not working if they feel the savings are worth it. I didn’t say codes bought elsewhere never work, just that there is no guarantee that they will on Amazon and if Amazon checks the prefix they will not allow the UPC to be used.

If you are not going to ake your items to retail stores or the wholesale market you might have been able to get GTIN exemptions. The spreadsheet is pretty easy.

OK, I re-read the entire thread and you are correct - that seller was just using a purchased UPC and it was rejected because he wasn’t Natural Beauty Products. But here is what is different about that case – I quote Amazon’s letter to the seller:

Note the word “licensee”. Not “owner” or “original owner”. Natural Beauty Products is apparently a current customer of GS1 and is licensing that prefix. The seller (NINJA) was in fact infringing on NBI’s licensing agreement by using a current, active reserved prefix. This is a very different issue than the discussion on whether Amazon matches company names on old UCC codes.

My belief is that this seller, NINJA, bought a counterfeit code online that was rejected, not one of the old and valid UCC codes. Again, buy your codes from a reputable 3rd party seller.

I don’t know if Amazon has run into this yet but I’m sure it has happened to others.

One of my suppliers here in the US uses UPC numbers that is registered in their Parent Companies name, so if anyone traces the UPC through GS1, it will show up as being registered to the parent company in China (Chinese company with a name I can not pronounce)), not my suppliers name. My supplier is the US headquarters for the chinese company and uses an American sounding name instead of the chinese name. My suppliers catalog does mention the parent companies name a few times.

I’d have to get it out and read it but I don’t think my GS1 contract from 2001 said that could or could not be done.

I think in that case I would use whatever Company Name and Prefix the candidate UPC returns at GEPIR® (GS1 database tool). Less hassle.

GS1 most expensive and longest route to go

Well first off it doesn’t take much time at all when you use GS1…You sign up for an account…pay your money and then start producing UPCs

The reason that I paid the extra money and went the GS1 way is I believe that soon Amazon will start to verify all UPC codes used on the listing that everyone uses…Old listing included…

When I create a new listing by the way, I create the code first. Obvious that I need that first…Amazon is verifying the UPC pretty much instantly…And the listing goes right up…

If you use a code that is registered to Franks radiator products…and you are selling dog leashes…I think Amazon is working to eliminate this from their catalog…

So hopefully you don’t start seeing listing disappearing soon…Your better sellers gone because the registered owner doesnt match the product…

GS1 tech support told us that once UPC codes are made live on its data hub they are verifiable immediately…we have found this to be accurate when creating new listings with UPC codes generated within minutes of adding them to a new listing.

I believe it is very doubtful that previously created listings created with purchased UPC codes not registered to the listing seller will be removed from the Amazon catalog…that is of course unless Amazon wants to delete millions of revenue producing listings.

closed #35

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.