UPC GS1 codes

May I ask how much those 100 codes cost? And how much the yearly fee is?

$750 for 100 UPCs and $150 each year to renew. It’s ridiculous. Here’s a link to their price chart:

https://www.gs1us.org/upcs-barcodes-prefixes/get-started-guide/1-get-a-gs1-us-issued-company-prefix1

Yes it was 750 dollars for the first year…That includes the 150 for the leasing of the numbers…Grand total of 750…

Now the next year I will pay 150 again for those 100 numbers…A dollar and a half a year for each number…A little over 10 cents a month for each number…

Sounds pretty cheap to me for legit numbers straight from GS1…Numbers that are legit to Amazon…These places where you buy them cheap, who is paying the lease yearly payment on them?? You??..The person that you bought them from??

If that yearly lease payment is not made on those cheap numbers, then GS1 makes them invalid…
If suddenly you have invalid UPC codes used on your listings, will Amazon take down the listing??

I finished my first number…99 more to go(100 bottles of beer on the wall…100 bottles of beer,take one down,pass it around…)

Can’t wait to use them up so I can go back to GS1 and Lease 1000…

There is no yearly lease payment on those numbers. Before 2002 UPCs were sold, not leased. Those numbers were purchased by the millions and are the numbers that are sold by 3rd party sellers today. They are just as valid as the current leased numbers, are in the GS1 database, cannot be cancelled by GS1, and are accepted by Amazon.

It is up to you if you want to pay for the perceived security of a GS1 number. I chose not to, but to each his own.

I usually put the information in GS1 and retrieve a barcode a few weeks before adding a product to amazon. Otherwise, you will run into problems and they will flag the products and remove them from the catalog.

That is not always true. Amazon will randomly verify the prefix to verify that it is a match with the GS1 database in terms of the manufacturer. They may refuse it if it comes back as being registered to another company (which will always be the case for resold UPCs). There have been more and more sellers having issues with resold codes recently, especially for new listings.

Main reason to buy directly from GS1 is to have your company/brand embedded in the code prefix. Otherwise you are using someone else name.

As more and more UPCs are needed for online sales, I suspect the problems some are having are from counterfeit codes. I have seen no documentation from Amazon that the original owner’s name must match the current owner’s name, and yet it would be an easy enough thing for Amazon to post. True, it’s often stated as fact by people posting in the forum, but a lot of things are said in the forum.

Similarly, when you read Amazon’s guidance about UPCs, it doesn’t say GS1 codes are required - it merely recommends them. Yet many sellers come to the forum misquoting that guidance as proof that Amazon requires GS1 codes.

Meanwhile, I continue to use my non-counterfeit 3rd party UPCs with no trouble.

True, that is a benefit for large branded sellers with a product line, but for small sellers with fluid inventories it is not useful. I use my UPCs merely as stock codes - what they were designed for.

Ebay GS1 1000 each $4.95 or less— free shipping —:slight_smile: no waiting on amazon soon as you list it goes thru

Now that does sound fishy. You cannot buy GS1 codes - you can only lease them from GS1. When you buy UPCs you are buying UCC codes – GS1’s pre-2002 predecessor. Personally, I would not buy my codes from that Ebay seller, who seems a little too loose with his descriptions.

Fair enough.

However, the language just before the sentence you refer to is somewhat imposing:

We verify the authenticity of product UPCs by checking the GS1 database. UPCs that do not match the information provided by GS1 will be considered invalid.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/GLE2KYT2UVPMTYGS

Obviously, non-UPC identifiers will be safe for now — as will the pre-GS1 era numbers that work for you.

We went with GS1 in order to flog offer our Brands outside of Amazon, where there is often a more rigorous onboarding requirement.

Seems pretty clear to me. It also reflects the experiences of sellers that have posted in the forums when UPC codes from a batch they purchased through a reseller and have had for years no longer work when they go to post a new product with one of their not yet used codes.

And that is exactly what I mean by counterfeit codes. It is easy enough to make up 12-digit numbers that look like legitimate UPCs that will even pass the UPC checksum algorithm. But unless the made-up number just happens to match an existing UPC in the GS1’s database (an astronomically low probability) it will be deemed counterfeit and rejected. These are the counterfeits that I believe Amazon is rejecting, and what Amazon is referring to when they reject a UPC because it does not match the information from GS1. I have no proof, but it does explain why a larger portion of some recently purchased UPCs are being rejected, while others purchased from well-known resellers seem to have no problem.

My successful use of 3rd party UPCs where the original company name does not match my company name speaks strongly that company name is not what Amazon is looking for when they reject a UPC.

It seems pretty clear to me that the quote does not mention name-matching. Nor does it say what information GS1 provides Amazon.

I’ve been in the forum a long time and although I do not read every post, I do not remember any seller saying that a long-accepted group of UPCs suddenly became unusable. The only posts I have read that complain about UPCs not working were from new sellers who purchased from iffy resellers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

UPCs that do not match the information provided by GS1 will be considered invalid.

Notice they say doesn’t “match the information provided”. They don’t merely say codes that are not valid or not in the database are considered invalid.

The information GS1 provides include the name of the company the code is registered to.

Short story ----due your due diligence–been using them since amazon started this upc thing

How do you know that? Where are you getting this detailed information? For all I know the information provided by GS1 is simply whether or not the number matches an existing one in their database.

You may not remember it, but it has happened. As a matter of fact a seller that had that issue shared what Amazon told them directly with you, and that was not even very long ago. GS1 and barcode purchasing

[[ this post contains incorrect information. I am leaving it posted for continuity in the discussion ]]

Beauty products are a special circumstance. A specific requirement for selling Health and Beauty products is that the UPC used must be the original one created by the manufacturer. This seller was trying to rebrand the product with a different UPC. I am not surprised that the seller got asked if they were the original manufacturer. That seller was trying to rebrand “Natural Beauty Products, Inc.” products as “Ninja” products (or vice versa, I never quite figured it out). This was a listing violation, not a UPC issue, even though the OP in that thread thought it was UPC-related.