user profile
Sign in
user profile

Trivial Complaints

by Seller_CVFHhedDuSeYu

How do you all handle a seemingly trivial complaint?

I have a customer that is complaining about the way that some cords plug together. They have about a 1mm gap, but otherwise perfectly functional. (See image)

Is this a case where it is best to just send them a replacement part and move on?

Total cost to replace would be maybe $5 (Shipping, Part, etc…)

Thanks,

plug_issue.jpeg (116 KB)

Tags: Images
13 replies
13 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_n4shC9EMd3XuA
In reply to: Seller_CVFHhedDuSeYu's post

Yes, it’s a small matter but it appears to be a defect in the manufacturing. If you have field tested the product and have a replacement that has a better fit I would send it. A bad review is not worth the chump change it will cost you in the end.

Edited by: The Professor on Jan 9, 2018 7:08 AM

user profile
Seller_7fF2HPZ7Mf9Eo

Honestly it’s totally up to you. 1) you can refund 2) you can send a replacement 3) you can try (and I don’t advise this) to explain that’s how they are made. 4) you can do nothing

1 & 2 are your best options, 3 & 4 will most likely get you an A to Z claim at some point. So it’s up to you, stay in contact with the buyer, decide quickly what you are going to do, then do it quickly. Good Luck

user profile
Seller_i3DcETKK41A76

You may see this as trivial but some buyers will not. In fact, regarding power cords there are strict Underwriters Laboratories (UL) certification requirements. If this product is UL tested and certified, they would revoke their certifications if there are chronic issues with connectors like this having metal that is carrying current exposed. This is a fire and safety risk especially households with pets and small children.

You may want to work with your manufacturer (if your branding it) to ensure quality control on these parts as it appears the only reason they are snug is simply poor plastic molding cleanup in the manufacturing process.

With respect to what to do with this buyer, it would be prudent to do as they wish (i.e. return or replacement of part). Provide the option to the buyer and adhere to their wishes.

user profile
Seller_CVFHhedDuSeYu

I will send the customer a new part. As I figured not worth the time or risk a bad review

user profile
Seller_fkVkr12CNHbgH

As some have stated, this is a safety issue. If I took a small piece of metal and placed it between the two connections, i’d get the full brunt of whatever current that’s carrying directly to my fingers.

May seem improbable, but I have a metal shipping station with thin stuts - that could fit between the gap - helping to sure it up. I run cords like that to the tablet above it that display multichannel orders. If I hooked that up and it zapped an employee, that’s a lawsuit. I’d probably return it myself.

user profile
Seller_0pZRDTgoeJhfb

A saying a repeat to myself often … “Don’t step over quarters chasing nickels!”

user profile
Seller_GyY8kLnCdVxVn

This person is a complainer, tell him to keep the part and give him a refund

user profile
Seller_awYU0oH8skccg

Politely explain the problem and move on…

user profile
Seller_uKYUQR1wT7FSF

Looks like it could be a headphone cable, and at the most, maybe something carrying 12v DC. Any more details on what it is for?

user profile
Seller_CVFHhedDuSeYu

To all those expressing safety concerns…

It is 12v DC is the negative conductor. There is no way for anyone to contact both conductors as the positive is housed in the center.

One would need to insert a pin in the center and then touch the outside (negative conductor) to risk getting a shock of any kind.

See the attached image for what the connector looks like. The male is the output.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post