user profile
Sign in
user profile

Tips for increasing readability of posts

by Seller_jZWpyInw8RkYT

From Forum Etiquette:

So five months later, I caved, @SimpleSeller . These are some strategies that I use regularly (but not necessarily all the time) that help me keep my own thoughts organized when responding and might help others.

These are only my thoughtsnot guidelines, not authorized, and certainly NOT the only way to do things. Take what you need; leave the rest.

Quote others.

Click for details.

–Even when you “reply” to a specific post, this doesn’t always display. Quoting makes sure others know what you’re referring to.
–With the recent Forum update, the “system” edits our posts if we quote an entire post by removing the quote completely. You can workaround this by adding a space at the beginning or by…
–Highlight[ing] the most important part of the quote–the part that most directly relates to your response.
–Quoting helps preserve a piece of the post that doesn’t violate Forum guidelines in case the original is deleted.
–Use multiple quotes for multiple ideas.

Provide links.

Click for details.

–If you’re referring to a specific thread, post, policy, help page, etc, provide a link to that thing as a time-saving courtesy to other users.
–Instead of just tacking on a link to the end of a post or randomly elsewhere, use embedded links, which is where the words are highlighted in blue and are clickable. See below for how-to.
–Consider putting “(link)” after your embedded link (a la @Dogtamer, seen here) or bolding your embedded link text for greater visibility (a la me, seen right here).
–If posting several links, consider making a bulleted list instead of embedded links. Right now on the Forum, this would just mean copying the link address, pasting it in your reply, and then adding an " * " (asterisk) and space at the beginning.

Embedded link how-to:

1 - Copy the address of the thing you want to link.

2 - Go to your reply-in-progress and click (the hyperlink icon) in the format bar.

3 - Paste your copied address into the required field and click “OK”.

Use the formatting tools in the format bar.

Click for details.

–Bold, italics, links, screenshots, bullets, quotes (which don’t have to be for just quotes ^^^)–all of these things help to make your post more readable.
–See @Doctor_Love’s post above, where they combined formatting with “conceptual summation” (copyright!) for increased readability. Here’s their great example!

Use formatting tools that AREN’T in the format bar.

Click for details.

–For long horizontal lines to divide post topics, type THREE “_” (underscores) together in a row, no spaces. See below for sample.
–For dash-line sub-bullets that stay indented (like these!), type TWO “-” (dashes) together in a row, no spaces.
–For “arrow click hide/unhide” text, use the command “[details=blahblahblah]” on a fresh line before your hidden text and close it with “[/details]” (also on a fresh line) after your hidden text. Compliments of @Bee_Blessed.
–For emphasizing text as a “header” (i.e., making it a little bigger and bolder), type the text and then put ONE “-” (dash) underneath. See below for sample.
–Use capital letters for emphasis (not for shouting), when helpful.

Tag others.

Click for details.

–If you are replying directly to another user.
–If you want another user to see something in your post.
–If you are referring to an idea that they’ve already mentioned.
–If you need to give credit where credit is due.

A spoonful of sugar. – general Forum etiquette, too, not just formatting.

Click for details.

–Greet the OP or user you’re responding to.
–Use emojis wisely, when effective for clarifying the tone of a statement whose text could be open to interpretation.
–Feel free to ignore the “3 sentences are a paragraph” rule and separate your text wherever needed for clarity. This is not a graded essay.
–Try to provide something helpful or positive in most responses.
–Stay objective and professional (though not formal) in responses.
–Proofread. Pay attention to grammar, spelling, and typos, but don’t get hung up on these things, for yourself or others. Feel free to start sentences with conjunctions and end them with prepositions.

What do you think? Helpful? Any questions?
Please add your tips and suggestions here.

See the horizontal lines? ^^^ And, apropos of nothing, see below for the “header” formatting.

My Forum formatting wish list:

1. Ability to indent without bulleting.
  2. Easier tiered outlining/bulleting.
  3. In-line placement of images (next-to, not just under).
  4. Underline.
Tags: Address, Policy
84 replies
84 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_2sSWhvyZsq56v
In reply to: Seller_jZWpyInw8RkYT's post

Asterisk then space in front of a word/sentence makes a bullet

• <-Asterisk then space makes a bullet
user profile
Seller_d7Vbs2rpwFS1z

user profile
Seller_lYLz1roOGTQRE

[u] at the beginning

and [/u] at the end will underline a text string.
As in this text underlined.

user profile
Seller_d7Vbs2rpwFS1z

My thoughts on this thread

Click Me
  • I like love this thread. Just getting some practice using these techniques!
user profile
Seller_jZWpyInw8RkYT

Some users have asked over time–in threads and PMs-- how to “tag” other users in posts.

…and…

For example: @papyrophilia >>> grayed-out = live tag.
You would type @papyrophilia.

user profile
Seller_k2Kp1RVfLot3N

Thank you all for posting these tips!

• And I’ve wanted to use [s]strikethrough[/] several times, but didn’t know how.
  • Also didn’t know we could use formatting that wasn’t in the format bar.
That's all the practice I can handle at this hour!

Here goes!
Edit: Guess I missed something on the details thing…

user profile
Seller_hx81JRXVMmKNY

I feel enlightened.

user profile
Seller_tGfMnoKCaqTnA

Post in any language other than english!

user profile
Seller_jZWpyInw8RkYT

Has anyone else noticed difficulty with quoting from locked/closed-after-six-months threads?

user profile
Seller_jZWpyInw8RkYT

Well, I also just accidentally discovered a trick for Forum use, in case this might come in handy for anyone else:

I typed this:

Trademark(TM)

and it renders like this:

Trademark™.

Go to original post