The Product Advertising API (PA-API) for Sellers is Shutting Down Aug. 31st

Sharon, are there any plans to make more granular access to a seller’s MWS account. For example, perhaps my inventory scouting Application needs to access the Products API and inventory reports, but it shouldn’t be able to access my orders or transactions reports.

Also, is there any way to see which applications I have granted access to, and remove access if I no longer do business with them?

I use Neatoscan and they sent out a notification that we now have to sign up for an MWS account which would give them access to our seller accounts for pricing data. Is there any reason to be concerned about giving a 3rd party access to your seller account?

[quote=“Lou82”]
I use Neatoscan and they sent out a notification that we now have to sign up for an MWS account which would give them access to our seller accounts for pricing data. Is there any reason to be concerned about giving a 3rd party access to your seller account?[/quote]
In the terms & conditions for MWS, which you must agree to when signing up for MWS or when giving a 3rd-party access to your seller account with MWS, the terms of access are carefully spelled out. When you give a 3rd-party access, the onus is on you to make certain that this is a reliable developer/solution provider. Amazon does not make recommendations for these solution providers; the choice is yours. There are certain implied risks whenever you give another party access to your account. Please read the terms & conditions carefully, rely on your own experience with the solution provider, ask the provider about their testing processes, and ask other sellers for their experience and recommendations.
Thanks,
Sharon

Sharon - As you/Amazon are trying to push us into using MWS P API (from PA-API) and you have a lot of time to post on this thread; yet you have no time to actually help someone who is trying to use MWS P API??

What is the catch? Why no one from Amazon has replied to my thread on my attempts to move to MWS P API?

I am really struggling with MWS P API - and there is no help from Amazon and yet you want us all to discard PA-API and move to MWS P API.

It seems maybe it is your job to just push us in this direction - wouldn’t knowing that you are indeed pushing us into a deep well make you feel somewhat different about your job? Shouldn’t Amazon’s TOP priority be to HELP those that want to migrate to MWS P API.

Can you please bring this up internally to MWS P API team/manager? And can you please try to get someone to help me with my problem with MWS P API???

Thanks.

Not that I totally disagree with you but so far, to my knowledge, you’ve only had 2 threads in the MWS forum and neither pertained to helping you with anything really.

Exactly what +help+ do you need? I’m on a lot so post over there or read some threads on the basics.

One with a lot of info is:
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=294&tstart=100

> {quote:title=ATMA Online wrote: }{quote}I am really struggling with MWS P API - and there is no help from Amazon and yet you want us all to discard PA-API and move to MWS P API.
I am sorry to hear that you’re struggling. Have you used the MWS contact form to get technical support? Have you read the detailed documentation for the MWS Products API, including the migration guide? Have you posted questions here that the more experienced developers can help you with? While I empathize that it’s not necessarily simple, there are people to help, but you need to ask the right questions to the right people and then be prepared to help others as they’re coming along. This is a great community with some very helpful, smart people. I am watching the forum as much as possible, and will try to get help for you here, but your best choice is to use the MWS contact form if you have questions about your exact situation.
Thanks,
Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Here is the link to my question and the thread.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=9069&tstart=0

I also opened a case with MWS support and I got a cut and paste from them about description of “ItemCondition” and “ItemSubCondition” description for response group.

Very simply - My specific question is (and I am also doing this through an example so there is no confusion) - I have a book in Mint condition for ISBN number 037364003X

I want to get Lowest “Mint” price for this book so I can list it at the same price.

I have tried all combination of queries and response groups DO NOT include this information.

MY CHALLENGE to you is get ANYONE on MWS P API programmer team to do this and tell me how to do it (with currently available API).

If they can not do it - then at least admit that it is broken and there is no way you can force us to move to MWS P API until this is addressed.

Sorry for being a bit terse about it - but unless there is an admission of problem; there is no hope for solution.

And simply put, if price for a given ItemSubCondition can not be retrieved - how can anyone list on Amazon using MWS P API? My thinking is that this is THE MOST BASIC requirement – no???

Again - I have given you ISBN number so anyone can try it. Indeed, if you look at the above thread - Oneida Books tried and came to same conclusion.

And please - don’t tell me to read documentation; I have read ALL documentations and ALSO tried EVERYTHING through the code.

Alternatively - just give us the raw offers data; so we can figure this out ourselves (indeed, I have already written program to do this).

BTW, someone’s job must be on line with this whole PA-API to MWS P API forced migration fiasco; I hope it is someone WAY UP in the organization.

Sorry again for being terse - but I have been struggling with this for a week now. And remember - I am only trying to do the right thing by trying to move to MWS P API.

I apologize Oneida Books - can you tell me how to get “Mint” condition price for 037364003X ?

You did try and you did admit it does not work. And you did advice me to open a case. And I did; and they cut and paste some irrelevant thing from some documentation and closed the case.

How hard is it to explain - How do I get “Mint” subcondition price for ISBN number 037364003X through MWS P API?

Can you help now if the question is clear?

And trust me - I went through all documentation and threads and even played around with API through programs, and EVEN went through all source code (in case I can find something hidden that is not documented) before even posting here for the first time.

I do apologize also for having only two threads and also not bowing to you everytime I come across your post (sorry - could not help it - but while being VERY helpful you are clearly trying to establish your seniority/God-like status here).

I am grateful for your help but having only two threads does not mean that I do not deserve a serious response (instead of a run-around like - read all the threads and documents first).

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I would not hold this against you, I do feel this is a bit uncalled for and I am offended by this comment.

I have spent more hours than I ever should have or want to trying to help others.

Why?
I’m fortunate enough to have the time to do so … usually.
Because I’ve worked with the MWS API’s for well over a year now.
I understand how they work and what they will and wont do.
How many others do you see trying to help with MWS? Maybe you will?

THAT SAID …

Of course you do. But you’re not going through anything that every else hasn’t/doesn’t go through. You will rarely +ever+ get the answer first time you open a case … re-open it and re-open it until you do.

I did answer your question … It’s +not+ one I wanted either but:
You can not specify subconditions.
Although the API is suppose to return all used subconditions it obviously is not for this ASIN (and I suspect many others).

Anyway, all I was saying before was that you mentioned struggling for a week with the API. I am glad to help you but with those 2 posts … and aside from not getting back the ‘Like New’ subcondition in the offers … I don’t know what you’re struggling with or what to help you on (if I can).

NOW … if like me and many others … you are wanting to convince Amazon that this sampling of offers bites the big one? Well I am right there with you !!

Edited by: Oneida Books on Aug 22, 2012 8:21 AM

I also have PA API experience of about 5-6 yrs and MUCH prefer it (Maybe since I already did all that work) but I’m sure from a programming viewpoint your more experienced/better than I am.

Anyway on the case you should be able to just go through your [seller account page > case log (link)|https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/case-dashboard/lobby.html/ref=sm_caselog_cont_home] and click on view or respond. Then use ‘Correspond with Amazon about this Case … Send a message’ to reopen it.

Thanks Oneida Books - Sorry about yesterday; I was really getting frustrated and felt like I was being pushed back to PA-API after all my efforts. Also, the lack of admission from Amazon that MWS P API is broken is beyond me. Which is why I gave them exact details to reproduce the error (and I am still to hear back from them - either to admit that it does not work; or worse that “it will never work” (because they will not admit it does not work)).

BTW, this is my only problem that I need help with. It was never resolved; I did not realize if you were asking if there was anything “else” I needed help with. I read in your reply that “I did not need any help because I have not really asked for any help in my meagre two posts” and also a hint of “have you really read all my posts”? :slight_smile: And then point to a post which merely regurgitates some very basics of MWS top level data. To me it sounded like you were merely supporting Amazon for ignoring my request for help.

I grant that I only visit these forums rarely - but I am ready and willing to help. I have worked with PA-API and various AWS/MWS APIs as they came online since last 7 years. I have an inhouse tool with automatic pricing engine, automatic repricing engine, order fullfilment/shipping engine (all working with multiple bookstores in addition to Amazon). So I am happy to help anyone - just shoot me an email.

Meanwhile - my problem remains - it is only ONE problem; but it is big one. As mentioned, they closed my case - which I am trying to reopen. Also - still waiting for Sharon (or anyone from MWS Developer team) to respond to my pleas for help.

I’m not so sure everyone is even close to being on board with MWS … but we’ll see.

Still, technically you can price and re-price without having that specific offer subcondition. Mind you I said +technically+. You can’t do it well or even accurately though without it !!

For me I just have to pick the VG and hope I’m where I need to be.

I contend that some must be.

As to the problem …

1. I do get back ‘Like New’ if it exists for basically everything.

2. Why it is left out of this and other ASIN’s , I’m thinking, has to do with the number of offers and the API’s restrictions on how many it can return overall from a call. I don’t know that … it’s JMO.

i.e. To many subgroups so the max is used before it gets to ‘Like New’ … which to me implies it works it’s way up (?) I just haven’t bothered to log which ASIN’s have issues and verify the count of returned offers.

1. I’m hoping Amazon responds soon to the case …

I doubt that - I just meant to say that I am not total noob :slight_smile: Also, I know people have been complaining about this issue - I am just taking a different approach trying to get it resolved.

I did that yesterday - still waiting for a reply.

BTW, do you know how third party tools are addressing this pricing/repricing issue (e.g., monsoon commerce)? If Amazon is giving special access to them - why not us? Or are they using webcrawlers or some other means?

I have actually seen a few tools now using it as kind of a ‘relaunch’. They seem to be ‘upping’ their tools in their marketing with the prospect of new features like shipping costs etc (not too many etcs though!). They do fail to point out the drawbacks of the MWS P-API vs PA-API. Luckily we never took the 3rd party route - much more control keeping things in house. Although on the face of it things look bleak on the MWS PA-API front in terms of what it can do, I live in hope things will improve and in the meantime we will just have to do what we have said all along and that is we can only use the tools put in front of us by Amazon.

And “ATMA online”, if it is any consolation there are more than just your bug in the MWS Product API. I have reported one to Amazon (which, to be fair, they replied about and confirmed, but still to be fixed) and I know of at least one other that is being reported on here. Sadly, I don’t think your assumption that we might be allowed to carry on with the PA-API is going to happen - Amazon seem pretty determined that August 31st is the last day. I don’t think their will be any reprieve on that front.

Oh, and for what it is worth, Oneida Books ‘Rob’ is a nice bloke, trust me :wink: ! I’ve known him from the PA-API and from here and also corresponding privately and he has always been willing to help. We live in ‘different programming circles’ so the help has always been of the encouragement kind and error spotting. He has saved my frustrations on more than one occasion I can tell you! But we all try to chip in where we can. We all have our own areas of ‘expertise’, Rob’s just happens to be fairly comprehensive and so is able to help out a lot more. And it helps when you are your own boss too!

Well I’m not so sure about anything you said except that last sentence … but thank you for the kind words.

I’m just not as skilled in the area of expressing my thoughts in the written language apparently. And trust me +ATMA online+ this isn’t the first time that, I at least think, I’ve been misunderstood.

I’m just lucky enough, as mentioned, to be my own boss and to use that spending time both here and in the PA API Forum. This helps me learn and hopefully earn from it eventually …

For Sharon:

Another problem for PA-API blacklisting addition/removal process:

I have a completely new perspective on this now. It seems being blacklisted is a “daily automatic” feature. This has happened to me TWO days in a row. They fixed it yesterday morning and it was working at my last post - later towards night, I got blacklisted again. Sent message to support so they will remove it again.

This has happened TWO days in a row, so I am thinking there are issues with blacklist addition/removal.

Could you please have appropriate people within Amazon look into this.

And yes - after trying to migrate to MWS P API (I had vowed to not use PA-API anymore and spend the time to upgrade to MWS P API); I am back to using PA-API for now because MWS P API does not work. However, my consolation is at least my code is ready to use MWS P API when it is ready.

NP … with a week to go there’s no time to worry about such things. It’s all good in the end.

BTW - If you were to believe my wife I have a +very+ short attention span and an even shorter memory … :wink:

Also I share the responsibility for not being clearer about what I was saying or asking.

And finally … this switch over has all of us a bit crazy. I have no problems in the strict sense of ‘using’ the MWS API’s and have been, with the exception of the P API, for a while.

However like you, and many others, I’m finding more and more areas of lost data compared to what I got form the PA API.

Side Note: I opened a case to mentioning a few things … which included the missing ‘LN’ subcondition set.

BNGC - yes, I think either they have ways of bypassing these limitations OR they are just making up prices and not being truthful about it. My code has features where a specific subcondition item is not offered, it can “auto-calculate” price based on some rules. I guess I could use that and be happy (while knowing that pricing is not really “correct”).

>
> And “ATMA online”, if it is any consolation there are more than just your bug in the MWS Product API. I have reported one to Amazon (which, to be fair, they replied about and confirmed, but still to be fixed) and I know of at least one other that is being reported on here. Sadly, I don’t think your assumption that we might be allowed to carry on with the PA-API is going to happen - Amazon seem pretty determined that August 31st is the last day. I don’t think their will be any reprieve on that front.

To Amazon’s credit - the above issue (Subcondition items missing) is now being considered by someone inside Amazon after I reopened the case. Not sure what the outcome will be. But I am hoping for a positive outcome. At the least I think they should give us “Merchant” channel pricing for one book in each sub-condition.

>
> Oh, and for what it is worth, Oneida Books ‘Rob’ is a nice bloke, trust me :wink: ! I’ve known him from the PA-API and from here and also corresponding privately and he has always been willing to help. We live in ‘different programming circles’ so the help has always been of the encouragement kind and error spotting. He has saved my frustrations on more than one occasion I can tell you! But we all try to chip in where we can. We all have our own areas of ‘expertise’, Rob’s just happens to be fairly comprehensive and so is able to help out a lot more. And it helps when you are your own boss too!

:slight_smile: - I agree with you. I might have jumped the gun on that one. I guess he was just trying to make sure I had done all my homework before barging in here. I have said Sorry before and again Sorry – Rob!

And thank BNGC - looks like there are quite a few good “in-house” tool developers here!

Thanks Rob - I agree with your analysis and I do hope that they address the case as well. I was not very happy with latest version of PA-API (I still use the older version) but now I am thinking even that was better than current the MWS P API.

I am usually the one who takes what is given to him without complains and make it work (which is probably why I have not posted much here before) but this time it became unacceptable. So yes - I do hope they fix MWS P API.

I think correct solutions are one of the following:

1. Ensure that at least one listing of “Merchant” channel “New”, “Used-Mint”, “Used-VeryGood”, “Used-Good”, “Used-Acceptable” are returned (if present)
    OR
  2. Allow request query to specifiy “Merchant” channel and ItemSubCondition to request pricing for specific channel and ItemSubCondition.
    OR
  3. Just provide us “page-based” raw offer data so we can get offers we are interested in.

I would prefer 3 over 2 over 1 (i.e., in reverse order of preference).

closed #155