Targeting exact match keywords with no competition?

I’m new to manual campaigns and trying to figure out how to get the best ROAS for a new product.

My thoughts are to target keywords that no one else (or low amount of people) are targeting, which still have some search volume - and then make my bids low.

Does this sound right? What’s the minimum searches you would target, or does every little bit help if no one else is bidding on the terms?

Thank you

Are you Brand registered Owner?. If so, there are a lot of great tools to use to make these campaigns. I highly suggest going to a webinar for best practices. I like the ones from Tinuiti personally

Not yet, I am launching a new product on Amazon (first time seller - though I have managed an amazon account in the past as an employee), just doing my research beforehand to make sure I have everything ready to go. If it takes off I will get trademark and enroll in brand registry ASAP.

Okay yeah the brand registry will help a lot because you can reach keywords related to your product and see how they rank.

Anyways I would suggest going to one of those webinars. First you want to make your listing optimal for advertising.

Great if someone clicks on your product from your ad, but its bad if they do not purchase it because your listing is not optimal. Most people suggest waiting until your listing has 10 reviews to make and ad campaign to make it worth your investment.

Hi Ardent_Formulations. I agree with your thinking. The idea of targeting keywords with less competition yet decent search volume is certainly a good strategy if you want to increase your chances of starting out profitably and with the best ROAS.

I’d start by categorizing keywords into two groups, those that are super relevant product (e.g. ‘best robot vacuum’), and those that are more vague/browse terms (e.g. ‘best vacuum’ - which could mean handheld, upright vacuums etc).

Next, build your campaigns around the super relevant terms, and save the more vague terms for later on when you’ve exhausted the super relevant ones. I suggest starting in small batches of 5-10 keywords, in the order you suggested (least competition, decent search volume), then only graduating to the next batch after testing the former.

Use all 3 match types. The reason is that when you build out your campaigns initially, it helps to think of it as mere data collection. We don’t yet know the actual CPCs and advertising cost per sale by keyword (average # clicks per sale x CPC). Only when you collect those data you’ll know which keywords you can afford (i.e. those that have a positive ROAS, and those with a negative). Only then will you also know how much you should be bidding.

Tip: To set your bids, work out your breakeven ACoS, so you’ll know which keywords you can afford, and which are too expensive. Those that are over your breakeven ACoS you want to bid cap, and those below, you want to push your bids to at most breakeven.

To answer your question about minimum searches, I suggest not going lower than 100, though there’s nothing wrong with experimenting. In terms of bidding, your mindset should be to try to push bids as high as possible as long as you stay within your profit margins.

-Jonathan.