user profile
Sign in
user profile

Signature confirmation can reduce reported lost orders by 35%

by News_Amazon

Effective Jun 23, 2022, Amazon recommends adding "signature confirmation" to orders with a high risk of being reported as "not received" or "lost".

You can purchase "signature confirmation" service when you select shipping for these orders in "Buy Shipping".

How the service works:

1. Our machine learning technology identifies high-risk orders by analyzing hundreds of signals, such as delivery problems, item value, and delivery address.

2. High-risk orders will be flagged on your Manage Orders page under the "Order Status" column with a "signature confirmation recommended" message.

3. If you proceed with the recommendation, the cost of the signature confirmation service will be added to your shipping fee.

4. If a buyer reports a signature-confirmed order as "lost" or "not received," we will conduct additional checks on that buyer’s account. Any refunds or claims we grant without your involvement will be eligible for appeal.

Additional fees:

The signature confirmation recommendation is offered to sellers at no cost. However, signature confirmation implementation is a separate carrier service for which carriers charge an additional fee.

The service charge varies by carrier, but on average costs between $3 and $6 for each order.

You will be responsible for the additional shipping costs incurred for implementing the signature confirmation recommendations.

Tags: News and Announcements
243 replies
243 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_qIY1zDxKNWKmI
In reply to: News_Amazon's post

We already have coverage for delivery issues when we use Amazon Buy Shipping. Why should we spend money on signature confirmation when we are already covered for delivery issues?

user profile
Seller_BOZrxmmdTMAuX

I can understand the extra level of protection when it comes to delivery. Some people may report packages being stolen and this maybe be true but other may report the item lost or stolen and the simply want the product and to keep their money. As a small business owner who is attempting to grow and scale in the online market I would like all the protection I can get. I’m not able to afford bad reviews and multiple charge backs

user profile
Seller_ToPPYvOWlyp9j

I am the Sig. Con queen for shipping rare/collectible works. Rarely use AMZ shipping except for Freight Forwarders and certain aggregators who have a P.O. box in Rutherfurd, NJ but I have to agree w/ @The _Orange_Crush.

Doe this mean AMZ will not honor their INR coverage if the seller doesn’t follow their recommendation of Sig. CON? Are TPTB changing this long-held reason for buying shipping in-house?
I’m interested.

user profile
Seller_dkcfVWe7XjuCv
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_4dKQ8UyebGTfV

Consider this:

ASK buyer at the end of check out if they need or prefer the signature confirmation or that You Amazon RECOMMEND them (buyer) TO PAY for the signature confirmation due ALL red flags or risky zip codes. If a buyer WAIVES the option of signature confirmation is their problem. Otherwise, we’ll get the trouble and the expenses.

It would be great if amazon helps their “clientele” to stop been so entitled for free items- been paid by sellers in some extended. Making them to pay for signature confirmation, it could be the beginning of an extraordinary re-hab program.

We sell in other platforms, and ONLY here is All the issues relate With No deliveries… for whatever reason only with amazon orders we have issue with UPS!?

Again, ask buyer to meet at half way: do you realize the annoyance for buyers to go to the carrier and sign? I can see packages been rejected, and negative feedback for this… so, please “helps” us with removing negative feedback as consequence from this.

EDIT: if package is not picked up from the carrier, ALLOW sellers to recoup expenses of shipping back and forth…. As a part of the rehab program for tricky buyers.

user profile
Seller_3Kdd6ZeAMj5oK

I’d prefer being able to cancel those flagged orders without it affecting our account instead of us having to pay more for shipping.

user profile
Seller_phApdF4zId4Li

The problem with signature confirmation is that drivers accept any signature, and when the signature collected is not the buyer’s - Amazon refunds on “item not delivered” claims, and the seller has no recourse. So signature confirmation isn’t a failsafe.

user profile
Seller_aMWSlgizmbnhh

If a customer leaves a negative feedback because they were inconvenienced by the signature confirmation that you recommended will you delete that feedback? I doubt it.

user profile
Seller_CW0P5hgbsiqWX

This is simply another ploy by Amazon to make sellers think the company is doing something to improve the site, when in actuality they are not. Notice this issue was not addressed.

We do use signature confirmations when necessary. But here is how Amazon scams sellers when a INR claim is filed and signature confirmation is used.

Over the years we have filed appeals to INR claims which Amazon deducted from our account. We buy shipping thru Amazon, and add a signature confirmation. The buyer claims the product never arrived, and an Amazon Customer Service Rep (either over the phone or by an Auto-Bot) refunds them from our account.

I File an appeal with documentation of delivery including a signature. Amazon will not accept the appeal, so the seller loses. Why, because the signature either cannot be made out (due to poor writing) or is a different name. Scammers know how the system works, and we all know that Amazon supports scammers, and cullieds with them.

The scammer says to Amazon, look at my invoice. That is my name as the buyer and that’s my name as the addressee. However, that’s not my name as the signature, or I can’t even tell who’s name that is because it is just scribble.

Now, when you take this into consideration, Isn’t this announcement basically useless or much ado about nothing?

user profile
Seller_xeDdQgRH5VZwO

I’d be fine with adding the recommended signature confirmation, if Amazon were covering the cost. Delivery costs have already seen a huge increase over the years, so no thanks, I’m not adding another expense just because Amazon recommends it. I already add signature confirmation myself for high-value orders.

If Amazon is really concerned that a buyer is trying to scam me, then maybe Amazon shouldn’t even allow that buyer to place an order.

Also, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but give us an option to block buyers much like eBay has in place. Would save headaches when a problematic buyer tries to make another purchase.

Go to original post