user profile
Sign in
user profile

Selling toys - New or Collectible?

by Seller_dgU5B8zFVZKDo

Hey! New seller here. I will be sending my first box to Amazon tomorrow, but I need to clear something up first. So today I went to an antique mall and bought a bunch of old batman action figures. When posting, I am not sure whether to put them as New or as Collectible. They are in the original packaging, have never been opened. With a little clean up, the only marks remaining on the packaging will be typical small scratches on the clear plastic of the packaging that you can see under the light, as well as a bent corner or 2 that is barely noticeable. I don’t want a seller to be unhappy with the condition of the packaging. They ones I bought today were made between 1998-2000 and aren’t made anymore.

What should I post as? Thanks!

Christian

Tags: Packaging
25 replies
25 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_bWU6w5XvXmIfs
In reply to: Seller_dgU5B8zFVZKDo's post

I’m sorry, but Amazon is not the best place where to sell top brand collectible toys bought secondhand. I would suggest you to list them on eBay, which is a much more suitable marketplace for such items.

You can list them for sale on Amazon and send stock to FBA if you want but in case of authenticity complaints or a trademark infringement, you will be asked to provide invoices directly from the manufacturer and if you fail to do this, Amazon will seize your merchandise and funds.

user profile
Seller_fVTIya2O4GCgI

As you describe them they are not new. If without a single flaw the best they would be is like new. Bad idea to FBA if you decide to proceed, would likely incur even more damage. You are just getting started why put your account in jeopardy?

As @AngelicPretty stated, ebay is best for what you’ve found.

user profile
Seller_LCuYaJuTeaoMv

Collectible - Very Good will have you covered. Make sure you give a specific detailed description of any defect/issue and include a photo.

I would not send them to FBA because you want to be able to control how these are packaged to avoid further damage to the packaging or its contents.

user profile
Seller_8Wfpcf6cHQaPy

Definitely do not list them as “new” and I would be very hesitant to ship them in to FBA.

If they are truly Collectible, follow the Condition Guidelines, for Toys & Games - Collectible.

Toys & Games - Collectible

Collectible toys and games must be rare, exclusive, one-of-a-kind, or otherwise unique. The General Condition Guidelines do not apply to the Collectible Toys & Games.

Use the following condition types for Collectible Toys & Games:

Collectible - Like New: An apparently untouched item in perfect condition. The original protective wrapping, if any, may be missing, but the original packaging is intact. There are absolutely no signs of wear. Suitable for presenting as a gift.

Collectible - Very Good: A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. Item and instructions are complete and undamaged but may show some signs of wear.

Collectible - Good: Item shows wear from consistent use, but it remains in good condition. The original instructions are included and in acceptable condition. The item may be marked, identified, or show other signs of previous use. The item works perfectly and is in good shape overall.

The previous thread, on a very similar topic, concerning RA, was locked.

user profile
Seller_Hi7wbO2Kbo6bl

On Amazon “new” means that, if necessary, you can back it up with invoices from the manufacturer or distributor. That which you describe is definitely not New for Amazon.

They’re not collectible in Amazon’s terms (see Rushdie’s post)

As stated by others, those are suited for eBay, not Amazon.

user profile
Seller_nstkdGWZl0SW0

This is not the place to sell these.

We sell a lot of toys here.

This is a problem waiting to happen.

user profile
Seller_nKyeSPxRmseAq

Anybody that tells you not to sell them here probably sells collectable toys and doesn’t want to compete with you. As these toys are 18-20 years old, the particular models are no longer made, and they are in the original packaging, they are collectables. As far as Amazon’s guidelines for collectable toys, they have to be rare. I would say something that has been out of production for 18+ years qualifies as rare. But yeah don’t try to sell them as new.

user profile
Seller_92x0zVQhkWsuI

While there are a lot of sellers here selling vintage toys, and many of them listing them as “New”, should you choose to list yours here,“Collectible-Like New” is the appropriate condition.

As per Amazon’s Condition Guidelines:

Toys & Games - Collectible
Collectible toys and games must be rare, exclusive, one-of-a-kind, or otherwise unique. The General Condition Guidelines do not apply to the Collectible Toys & Games.

Use the following condition types for Collectible Toys & Games:

Collectible - Like New: An apparently untouched item in perfect condition. The original protective wrapping, if any, may be missing, but the original packaging is intact. There are absolutely no signs of wear. Suitable for presenting as a gift.
Collectible - Very Good: A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. Item and instructions are complete and undamaged but may show some signs of wear.
Collectible - Good: Item shows wear from consistent use, but it remains in good condition. The original instructions are included and in acceptable condition. The item may be marked, identified, or show other signs of previous use. The item works perfectly and is in good shape overall.

Any seller who lists such toys as “New” is opening up themselves to problems such as return requests stating “Not as Described” if there is the slightest imperfection.

That also ties in to the suggestions NOT to send your items to FBA.
You will have no control as to how your items are packed, and any mishandling can open you up to similar condition complaints.

While there are many collectable toys on Amazon, another thing to consider, especially if thinking about FBA is sales rank.

Most collectable toys do not have great sales rankings, meaning that sales may not happen quickly, leading to FBA storage fees, which can very quickly eat away at any profits if and when your items sell.

user profile
Seller_muLmDuaGtlC0c

collectibles catagory is closed.

user profile
Seller_ujScHTwvcsrwf

Go to original post