user profile
Sign in
user profile

Selling International PROS And CONS

by Seller_lJLu3DQvLrCNI

I am just contemplating on trying to sell to Canada and Mexico. Can anyone tell me what kind of extra problems I will have doing this? What sort of forms/ paperwork to send orders to these countries?

Tags: International expansion
6 replies
6 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_Hi7wbO2Kbo6bl
In reply to: Seller_lJLu3DQvLrCNI's post

When you sell on a site outside of your own country, you must remember that the Canadians ordering from the Canadian site must not encounter any sort if import fees or duties (or Mexicans on the Mexican site, etc).

You must prepay all of that (which eliminates USPS as a carrier), and you must have (for example) a Canadian address for customer returns, or must prepay returns, or refund without requiring return. Buyers who order from their own country’s Amazon website are not required to pay for “international” return postage.

user profile
Seller_8heIxAf1mLwgp

No problems Canada, late delivery in Mexico is a frequent problem.

user profile
Seller_aXPrQP2TvgCMN

Mexico is a no go unless you’re doing FBA.

Canada is okay but the local leg of delivery will be slow.

Even tracked parcels are delayed and lost there.

user profile
Seller_d6HebF5k6o5fz

Mexico was a complete disaster because once you ship it, it will sit in customs for at least a month, then another 2 weeks til they receive it. Problem is, Amazon automatically gives a 21-30 day timeframe for international orders but reality is it took 2 months for my customers to receive their orders. It has been a headache because EVERYDAY, a customer is writing me and complaining that it is taking too long, even after I explain countless times that it is coming from a different country, so eventually customer asks for refund or A-Z claim for Item Not Received. If they don’t receive it in 30 days, even if tracking shows that it is on the way to them, amazon will demand you refund the customer. I even received an email from an amazon rep who spoke to the customer and filed an A-Z for the customer and amazon rudely demanded I refund them. After I refunded the order, guess what…the customer receives the order 1 day later and didn’t care to repurchase. Other items were refunded and 2 weeks later, customs released the packages so they are getting free products. Unless you have the means and time to fill out DHL, Fedex, or UPS customs documents and pay customs duties for the customer, it is not worth it. Those carriers alone will cost at least $40 and some customers won’t pay that much.

Canada is fine, 1-2 wks delivery. The returns are not fun though. I also noticed amazon canada does not have alot of sales like USA or UK so it has been our slowest marketplace.

user profile
Seller_d6HebF5k6o5fz

Besides the shipping issues, the other issues are the same as USA, dealing with hijackers. I had a hijacker but I wanted to delete the listing but since another seller hijacked my listing, my company name was still on the listing. I asked them to remove their listing and it was stressful, the seller was a Mexican company but hated americans and pretty much cursed us out several times before deleting the listing.

user profile
Seller_FKQfwyUNMc9Nc

i like selling international because that is more customers and more business and more profits

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post