user profile
Sign in
user profile

SBS falsely claiming "not as described"

by Seller_1I2CYF3S9l0vE

We just received a return authorization notice from SBS books in Opa Locka claiming " Inaccurate website description". The buyers comment says " I would like to return it for a refund, plus return fee. The item received was not as described, no access code was available. Please send me all relevant return information".

No where on the Amazon listing does it say an access code is included and here are our own condition notes. “Cover shows light shelf and edge wear. Vista Higher Learning, 2015. Trade Paperback Third Edition. The book condition is Very Good”. So as you can see we also do not describe the book as having as access code.

We have informed them that we know how to file a Safe T claim and we will be charging them the return shipping plus a 20% restocking fee if they decide to go ahead with the return since the book was never described as having an access code. We also informed them that a 50% restocking fee will be charged if we receive a book that is of lesser quality than the one we sent them.

We are not real big fans of fighting A to Z claims but we will be happy to do so with these guys. Everyone they file gets that buyer account closer to being closed.

Tags: Fees, Listings
159 replies
159 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_d7Z0MKOJalf7S
In reply to: Seller_1I2CYF3S9l0vE's post

If an access code was included when the item was new then you are required to include that even as used.
You are not allowed to sell incomplete items even when selling as used.
You are going to lose the A-Z claim when it is filed.

user profile
Seller_3N7yVnTXPzLkL

Althoughtextbooks is outside my area of expertise, isn’t selling Vista Higher Learning books without a code dangerous, since they are designed for use with an online program? And come with an access code when new.

I assume you chose an appropriate condition to go with those condition notes. I might find any higher than acceptable to be optimistic.

Being the lowest price and not having a code would compound the danger. And I would probably explicitly state there was no access code.

I certainly would not want to attract a purchase from Opa Locka.

Good luck on keeping this dispute from escalating.

user profile
Seller_8heIxAf1mLwgp

Buyers shouldn’t assume access code is provided with a used book, but also sellers should note that the code has been used in their descriptions. Grading the book I would use acceptable, maybe good if as new in other respects but no higher.

user profile
Seller_O1UFNr1zG3VPh

I would write to jeff@amazon.com and give them all the order numbers you have on them in all of their different names/addresses describing their fraud along with their current buyer/seller accounts. If enough of us do it perhaps they might listen. I’m fairly confident they have more than one active seller account.

AND

their back up account

AND their Amazon Canada account

Not positive on the last two but if I were a betting man I would place all my money on it.

user profile
Seller_hXiz9WEBcgZSC

Amazon states that access codes are only guaranteed to be included with new books. I believe you are supposed to indicate if the code is not included in the condition notes. I would assume you know how to look up the book to see if an access code was included with the book.

As you know, books do not necessarily indicate whether an access code is included by some publishers. As an example, MyLab codes are indicated in the title of the book but Infotrac and scratch off ones on the inside of the book are not.

user profile
Seller_jebmC7ylzSPIh

Buyers game the system all the time, buy insurance for items accordingly, and always assume you will get scammed and cover yourself. Amazon buyers are some of the most notorious return prone and scammers. 20-30% return rate vs >1% every other platform I sell.

user profile
Seller_ZDGgATBGegBqy

I’m cheering you on. These clowns deserve it. They have been overgrading for so long that they cannot claim with a straight face that some other seller’s grading is worse than theirs.

Hmmm…I just started wondering…WHY are the Chris’s Bargains clones popping up suddenly?
The only reason for this that I can think of is that Chris’ metrics are getting really bad, and that SBS has decided to allow termination, going the same way that Anybooks did. So they create alternatives like SecretBooks and OPG.

So, if that hunch is correct, they are on very slimy footing. They do not want to fight yet another AZ.

user profile
Seller_FKQfwyUNMc9Nc

If u buy from their store chris bargains do they give good service

user profile
Seller_j8Sped6iHB1hQ

The first negative review is from 3 years ago…

user profile
Seller_mhgPmhwLhlvcV

A book would be implied to have access code unless the seller specified there’s no access code for used books only. New book must have access code. Some students buy the book solely just for access code since they do not read book and cannot earn grade without access code for homework and quiz.

Go to original post