Same price on website as on Amazon requirements

So if you have a website that you sell your products on that you also sell on Amazon, the prices have to be the same. You can’t offer any incentive on your website that you do not offer on Amazon. Like for instance a “free product” with every purchase.

I just noticed that one of my competitors is offering a product on their website that they also sell on Amazon for about 40 less than Amazon.

What can I do about this? Any way to let Amazon know of this rule violation?

That’s not one of the rules Amazon enforces much (at all?)

And I really think this falls under the heading of tattling.

Reporting gross Amazon violators where buyers are in “danger” is one thing. This is something quite different. This would just be vindicative.

Amazon is only doing what’s best for them. So they get sales… disregarding entirely the fact that it costs more to sell on Amazon due to fees.

This policy is hardly enforced and not about offering free products with what not.

Its just selling + shipping price to be equal or lesser amount.

But again, hardly enforced.

You can complain, but I see no point on doing that.

He can price stuff at his website as he wishes and although you are right about policy, you pointing that out to Amazon is just snitching, imho.

My primary competitors sell ALL of their product for less on their websites. I’ve never even considered contacting Amazon about it.

And to what end? I don’t know about the rest of the vendors responding, but 95% of my sales are generated on Amazon, the rest on competing sites, and I have all of my stuff identically priced so as not to appear inconsistent for my customers.

Having said all that, I’d call it, “Working the competitive edge” if someone reports inconsistent pricing per the O.P. not the more personal, “tattling.” If you’re in a highly competitive market, you do what’s allowed by your marketplace to get and hold on to market share. If that includes reporting someone who is breaking hard and fast Amazon policy to beat you in the market, well, what’s Amazon here for if not to keep the playing field honest, if not level.

It has changed slightly since the last time I looked. They now use the term “generally expect” and refer you to the pages General Pricing Rule and Pricing but neither link works.

How do I decide on the price for my item?

Subject to our General Pricing Rule, and any minimum or maximum pricing limitations we may establish from time to time, you are responsible for setting the prices of the products you choose to offer on Amazon.com, and should take into account all applicable costs (including fees and shipping rates) when listing and pricing your items. Under our General Pricing Rule, we generally expect sellers who choose to sell products on Amazon.com not to charge customers higher prices for those products on Amazon.com than they charge customers elsewhere. For more information, see Pricing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-5?ie=UTF8&nodeId=1161276&qid=1499358308&sr=1-5

We lowered our cost on our website and Amazon called us and told us to make them the same. I would say it is enforced. His price plus shipping is indeed less on his website than on Amazon.

Amazon CALLED you???

That sounds very suspicious.

Hello, Hope all is well. No Amazon would email you through Seller central if it was them. It sounds like another seller. As long as you are not sending emails or letters through Amazon referring people to your website then I think you should be fine ( this is also including letters in your orders thru Amazon during shipping this is a major no no). Their is no law prohibiting you from owning your own website.

Edited by: SBDGLOBAL on Jul 6, 2017 9:06 AM

i’ve never even heard of this rule. Can someone pinpoint me to where it says that

That’s odd.

When Amazon attempted to introduce that policy in the UK, booksellers there rose up in arms and involved the appropriate government agencies. Amazon was told that was illegal and they may not require that of UK sellers.

Even in the U.S. I think Amazon is walking a very narrow line between legal/illegal in regards to price fixing.

While Amazon may set the terms of the contract we sign, that contract cannot require that we do something illegal. Perhaps that’s the reason for the moderate language.

[https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/1791|https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/1791]

Its in the Amazon Services Business Solution Agreement you didn’t care to read when you signed up.

Under Section S-4 Parity with Your Sales Channels.

But who reads those anyway, right?

Good morning :slight_smile:
The price restriction is in the User Agreement:
S-4 Parity with Your Sales Channels.

Subject to this Section S-4, you are free to determine which of Your Products you wish to offer on a particular Amazon Site. You will maintain parity between the products you offer through Your Sales Channels and the products you list on any Amazon Site by ensuring that : (a) the Purchase Price and every other term of offer or sale of Your Product (including associated shipping and handling charges, Shipment Information, any “low price” guarantee, rebate or discount, any free or discounted products or other benefit available as a result of purchasing one or more other products, and terms of applicable cancellation, return and refund policies) is at least as favorable to Amazon Site users as the most favorable terms upon which a product is offered or sold via Your Sales Channels (excluding consideration of Excluded Offers); (b) customer service for Your Products is at least as responsive and available and offers at least the same level of support as the most favorable customer services offered in connection with any of Your Sales Channels (this requirement does not apply to customer service for payment-related issues on Your Transactions, which we will provide); and © the Content, product and service information, and other information under Section S-1.1 regarding Your Products that you provide to us is of at least the same level of quality as the highest quality information displayed or used in Your Sales Channels. If you become aware of any non-compliance with (a) above, you will promptly compensate adversely affected customers by making appropriate refunds to them in accordance with Section S-2.2. For Amazon-Fulfilled Products, if the shipping and handling charges associated with the sale and fulfillment of any of Your Products offered on an Amazon Site are included (and not separately stated) in the item price listed for Your Product (collectively a “Shipping Inclusive Purchase Price”), then the parity obligation in (a) above will be satisfied if the Shipping Inclusive Purchase Price and each other term of offer or sale for the product on the Amazon Site are at least as favorable to Amazon Site users as the purchase price and each other term of offer or sale for the product (including any and all separately stated shipping and handling charges) pursuant to which the product or service is offered or sold via any of Your Sales Channels.

Edited by: WCT Products on Jul 6, 2017 9:33 AM

Here is the direct link: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/1791/ref=ag_1791_cont_521

I found it by clicking on Policies and Agreements in the footer on my main seller central page (amazon.com), then clicking on seller agreement located in the first paragraph at the top.

But Amazon is requiring sellers do that across their each and own selling venues.

Not based on other sellers. So its not price fixing, is it?

>“the Purchase Price and every other term of offer or sale of Your Product is at least as favorable to Amazon Site users as the most favorable terms upon which a product is offered or sold via Your Sales Channels”

They, for some reason, capitalized “Your”

As far as policy writing, Amazon is very good with words and liability.

+How do I decide on the price for my item?+

Subject to our General Pricing Rule, and any minimum or maximum pricing limitations we may establish from time to time, you are responsible for setting the prices of the products you choose to offer on Amazon.com, and should take into account all applicable costs (including fees and shipping rates) when listing and pricing your items. Under our General Pricing Rule, we generally expect sellers who choose to sell products on Amazon.com not to charge customers higher prices for those products on Amazon.com than they charge customers elsewhere. For more information, see Pricing.

Where is the link for that? Couldn’t find it, although I was looking for it! :slight_smile:

Edit: Found it on Amazon.co.uk, ChannelAdvisor, but not on Amazon.com

Excellent, thank you. Much appreciated.

I agree, how can Amazon dictate what our process is for websites that they have no legal jurisdiction over?

My cost to maintain inventory to sell on my own website, could be vastly different than selling on Amazon, due to things like volume, or standards like requiring 24 hour response to consumers, etc…

One could choose different outgoing shipping methods depending on sales channels, so of course the selling prices on both would be different…

Costs involved in things like payment processing, again, different…

Sounds illegal

+But Amazon is requiring sellers do that across their each and own selling venues.

Not based on other sellers. So its not price fixing, is it?+

legal definition of “price fixing”

+Price Fixing. Price fixing is an agreement (written, verbal, or inferred from conduct) among competitors that raises, lowers, or stabilizes prices or competitive terms. Generally, the antitrust laws require that each company establish prices and other terms on its own, without agreeing with a competitor.+

Isnt our own website, a competitor to Amazon, and thus an agreement, to fix prices, sure sounds illegal…

I don’t believe this situation has been challenged in court, therefore there is no definitive ruling as to it’s legality.

Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP) is legal and somewhat similar but it’s not the same as it deals with a retailer purchasing products from a vendor and the vendor dictating the (MAP) across retailers. Retailers don’t want to buy products that will have their profit margin eroded in a “race to the bottom” with competitors.

In this scenario Amazon is allowing YOU to sell YOUR product on their venue. Whether or not they can are given the same ability to restrict YOUR pricing on other venues is a matter of opinion and I have no doubt there are some very high priced lawyers with compelling arguments to both sides.

I suspect that is the reason that you rarely hear anything about it being enforced, Amazon is treading very lightly on it. That means YOU should tread lightly as well.