Sales Trends, Monthly

I’ve been selling on Amazon for ~8 months now and it’s been a pretty interesting, yet fun experience…and I’ve made a few bucks as well. I’d love to have some insight as to how the sales cycles work from some experienced sellers. I work a fulltime job in IT and sell via FBA on the side. As my side business was ramping up, so were the sales presumably from the holidays. There was a huge dip in sales come January and Feb it’s looking to come out about the same. Is this pretty normal? I’ve included a screenshot of my sales figures to illustrate my question. Of course, the red line is last year (I took a 2w vacation in Sept, accounting for the huge dip in Oct) and the blue this year so far. Anyone else will to share their thoughts on this? Thanks!

august - Jan = up trend
feb - stable
march - may = down trend
june - july = nearing bottom

if each star represents amount of sales, out of 20 max I would say
Jan-******************
Feb-*****************
Mar-**********
Apr-***********
May-**********
Jun-*******
Jul-********
Aug-************
Sep-**************
Oct-***************
Nov-******************
Dec-********************

pretty much very similiar pattern over last 3 yrs

Edited by: superunature on Feb 20, 2014 3:15 PM

Not to hijack your thread but the sessions bar is that like how many people have viewed your item?

Never mind answered my own dumb question.

Edited by: Brypointrox on Feb 20, 2014 3:14 PM

Here’s my sales graph over the last few years. All books.

Another graph I recommend creating is one that shows the 12 month total at any given time.

Now that you have a year of sales you can start creating that one.

That’s the graph your investors will be most interested in :slight_smile:

Thank you for asking this question. I have been selling for about 8 months as well. However, each month my sales are going up. I have not had a slump yet and was getting pretty excited until I saw the star chart showing a decline for March through July. Does this apply to all categories or do you think some categories stay stable throughout the year?
Thanks,
Kym

That is a pretty accurate trend for a new seller. Your data needs more time. In order for you to see the complete trends you need all years data. Been doing this for over three years. Holiday sales are your peak season. Everything else you pretty much make yourself. Hope that helps you.

There are a lot of factors involved in my opinion. Some depends on the product line alone. If you sell snow shovels, winter items, etc you can probably depend on hitting the summer doldrums.

The other factor which I have found more important is the sheer number of items that I have for listings. Early on having 50 items got me a few sales. When I crossed 1000 there were more consistent sales. Now, with over 4000 items listed and active sales tend to be pretty steady with the seasonal ups and downs demonstrated by superunature above.

By working across a couple of categories and LOTS of items there will (hopefully) be something that someone wants and is willing to buy. I used to worry about why there were no sales. Now after a weekend of sales I worry about how I get everything packed up and shipped–especially at Christmas time.

It’s a situation in my case of wavering between “be careful what you wish for–you might get it” and “what the &^&(* were you thinking?” some days (weeks, months…).

My bottom line–more listings, more sales, more restocking, fewer out of stocks all help to “smooth” any trends.

I am in my 5th year and not sure that a seasonal market controls my sales. Christmas of course is always going to be the best month. I have found that the more consistent I am with listing the more sales I have. I list about 10 to 20 every night. I also know some of the books that sell the minute you put them in the computer. The next morning they are gone. I also have another job so the books keep me very busy. Hope this helps!!

I’m not sure what you sell on Amazon.com, but many items have seasonal variations, and have a sales peak in November or Decmber due to Christmas.

Keep in mind that ‘Black Friday’ got its name because, of rmost retailers, it was the day on which they moved ‘into the black’ for the calendar year – operating ‘in the red’ up until that day.

jan-march = is really slow
april-june = still slow but speeds up a little bit
june-august = people starting to christmas search, goes up 50%
september-october = add another 25% to the june figure
november = add 50% to the september figure
december = add 75% to the november figure

This is what it has been for me generally from selling on multi. sellilng site through the 10 years that I have been selling online

I started selling in 2010 for eBay but had medical issues which had me hospitalized for a month. I’m the only one in the house that knows how to run the day to day activities. So when I finally went home their were at least ten orders that had disputed my customer service and bad feedback showered me. I left eBay shortly after. It took a while to go through the transition and familiarity with the differences between the two Giants. I like the name I chose for my Logo but I’ve noticed that the only time I get a sale is when my item is the absolute cheapest. I know my account health is one factor, but I visit the hospital w/ regularity and I don’t always have time to take my items off the market. I will be receiving my pension in two months but am concerned because according to the Amazon Veterans it’s the lowest sale period of the year. What would be the best advise by those who know this site and mechanics to perfection?

If only we could predict the future - however, Christmas season seems to be best for me (and, from what I’ve read, for most sellers) - the two weeks after Christmas are also very good - my guess is the use of Amazon gift cards - then, a lull, but there are birthdays, anniversaries and other occasions throughout the year.

I totally agree with the post about adding more items on a regular basis - My goal was 500 different items by Christmas 2013 - I think I hit that - new goal for next year will be 1000 items by that time.

I would love to consistently have an idea of how much to expect, but the unknown factors vary too much. We can also add in tax returns, etc for when people have extra money. So, as a seller on Amazon it’s unpredictable.

As a buyer on Amazon, I, too, am unpredictable - bought some baby books as a gift - my faucet in a bathroom broke so I purchased a replacement - so, welcome to my life of buying AND selling which are both unpredictable!

It depends a lot on what you are selling. Toys will be huge pre-Christmas obviously. Text books near the start of new semesters. I sell mainly vitamins and supplements and I cant say there is any difference in sales trends month to month.

I am involved in other businesses and I have always stressed out about the down times, and over worked in the busy times. I could never figure out how or why this happens. I was always looking for a reason or a pattern until I figured out it was just the way the Universe works.

Go sit a Starbucks a couple hours, you will see periods of time when there are 10 people waiting, and periods of ten minutes with no one coming in at all. Is there a reason there are sudden bursts? Maybe. School getting out? The start of the shift for the business next door? But more often then not, its just the way it is. Trying to figure it out, or worry about it will do no good at all.

A big issue, not so much an issue for us sellers since it means orders, is the impulse buying that people do today.

Like the previous poster explained, we sometimes buy things just because. It’s weird how online retailing has created a more complex concept with impulse buying, very peculiar.

closed #16