user profile
Sign in
user profile

Sales Drop since March... this is the END

by Seller_rL3ip8VhN1ba5

So, lots of us have discussed this. Lots of possible explanations have been posed. None has explained my loss in book sales from last year. We’re currently down 50% from this point last year (inventory of 10,500 books=same as last year).

This trend started in March. In August my business partner and I had exhausted every possible explanation and moved on to other careers. I am now teaching elementary school full-time. He is preparing to go into software development. This this drop off is the end of over five years of success and consistent growth here on Amazon.

I figured on my way out, I’d send Seller Support an email-- the one step I haven’t taken yet, ironically. Would you guys look over this email and let me know what you think. If there’s a better way to get it higher up the chain of command?

I sent it under Issues with Customers and Orders, subject line: Sharp Sales drop since March. Here it is:

Up until March our sales have grown as our inventory has grown. This has been our trend for well over five years. At the end of March our sales dropped and never recovered. Since then the sales drop gap from last year has grown from 20% to 40%. The gap is still growing. Our inventory is larger than last year, and our metrics have been near-perfect through all of this.

I have noticed other Amazon sellers commenting on the forums that they also are experiencing a unique downward fluctuation in sales this year. The fact that this experience is not unique to my Amazon store and we have done nothing different from previous years (in fact we’ve done everything BETTER than previous years) leads me to believe that this drop-off in sales is a result of some change on Amazon’s back-end.

The drop has been significant enough to force myself and my business partner to take up a new job and spend less time on Amazon (as Amazon has become unprofitable).

I would like to know what changed earlier this year that suppressed our sales. And what can I do about it?

Please escalate this case until someone who has some experience in this area can help.

Tags: Inventory
240 replies
240 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_Xpktjspu2oF5C
In reply to: Seller_rL3ip8VhN1ba5's post
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_xmisfqfeCbWyH

No one will read it and no one cares. Find a new product, EVOLVE!! or leave. No whining needed.

user profile
Seller_hEK1BzjtMmufx

I’m sorry but no matter what you say you won’t get an answer.

user profile
Seller_fBdJL4vbH7rJQ

Amazon SS is pretty much useless when asking that, tbh see how December-February goes (that’s a peak season for books), then make the decision on how you’ll continue.

What’s probably causing shitty sales for sellers is Amazon’s “wonderful” AI and algorithms, including who gets the buy box and shit and also stupid incorrect price alerts, which messes everyone’s listings up.

user profile
Seller_uyJW6IMTlkm2t

Hello,
Amazon sales are way up. My DVD sales are down? I cant figure out why? I wish I didn’t order the truckload of DVD Players.

user profile
Seller_Mzbg56z7Yxcd7

Not to bust bubbles, but this is the business world. Customer trends are constantly changing and you need to keep up with that. You also have to take into account people aren’t buying books to have in their hand, they’re using Kindle and did you know Amazon recently launched a new service that offers books on a tablet for a subscription fee? This is what may be affecting you.

With an inventory of 10,000+ you might want to consider making your own website and selling there too.

user profile
Seller_lYu3XZvMfxm0F

A glitch(?) I’ve been seeing more and more in Books category. NO USED OR NEW LINKS. Only the buy box.

Example: ASIN 0786913711

There are workarounds, but your average customer isn’t going to know them. So they look, don’t like their options in the buy box, and move on.

I’ve submitted a case with SS.

This can’t be helping sales.

-Wayne

user profile
Seller_mPcPEjFxxAGfB

I may have an answer, because Teikametrics* keeps bugging me to sign up, promising that their marketing dollars will help me dominate my competition here. (I haven’t joined as I don’t create my own products yet).

Do you pay for any advertising or the Buy Box? It really took off this year. Its a ZERO SUM GAME, whose book or toy is promoted, and those who pay for placement get to shove others to the back of the bus. Is that you?

*One solution for you: “If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em.” Maybe they can help you. (I don’t know if they deliver as promised, as I haven’t tried them, but its possible we are seeing the effects).

Hope this helped and Good Luck.

user profile
Seller_uAWhKJoe4BroS

Honestly, I agree with you on this. Amazon book sales have been going down for us for a while, so our FBA strategy has changed.

user profile
Seller_ut89Cht6SQshe

Ever heard of Kindle? I read a lot, and used to buy a lot of books, borrowing from the library etc, but it’s been years now since I bought an actual book. I get all my reading in Kindle format. You need to keep up with what’s going on in the world and find a new niche.

Go to original post