user profile
Sign in
user profile

Returned item problem

by Seller_Rv2MLPyv3lrV9

Hello everybody, I have got problem with returned item.
I have sold DJI MAVIC PRO for $750 recently.
After item was received by customer, I have got messages from him. Camera cover is broken, one prop is broken, user manual is not here.
I knew that this is the first symptom of the scam. After 1 hour I have got 5 more messages with questions about problem with activation of the drone. Finally, he became quiet for 3 days.
On the third day return request was opened for reason Camera is defective. And I accepted it and gave him shipping label as well.
After I have received the drone back, I started my investigation. And ooh camera is not working.
Before shipping I have it connected to my phone to test because it is not $50 item. And it worked correctly. At least it danced when you power on the drone. Right now it is dead.
I looked carefully to screws and they were unscrewed and one crew lost its security filling. That why I decided to open it.
Short story. Camera was replaced with broken one. DJI glues all connectors with silicon. And camera connectors silicon was cut. Moreover, flex cable which powers camera motors is cut the way it is hardly noticeable from outside.
I wrote the message to the buyer and attached all pictures of the evidences.
Camera cost $250, lost dji warranty, it is not brand new any more, shipping both ways. Finally, I gave him refund according to Amazon policy withholding 40%.
Right now, he claims that he did not do anything to the drone. and asked to refund his money in full.
I understand that nobody says in this situation, " Yes I replaced the camera sorry, take my money"
What would you advise me to do? Fight with him farther or refund money. I am not so reach to allow to everybody to steal money from me.
Thank you.

Tags: INR (item not received), Shipping, Shipping labels
40 replies
40 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_mWZyJunCxCR84
In reply to: Seller_Rv2MLPyv3lrV9's post

You can fight with the customer all you want to but if the customer files an A-Z claim, it is your word against the customers word. Your pictures are not proof as to what was sent or received but they could help.

Don’t give the customer the impression that you are calling him a liar by arguing with him. Since you refunded some money, let him make the next move. If he files an A-Z claim, defend yourself using bullet points and give a timeline to the events from the sale to the refund.

user profile
Seller_cjBwb6X1O3EGl

Do not engage customers in discussions or “fights”. You’ll lose every time.

Everybody seems think our job is to teach buyers how WE want stuff to work. It isn’t. Our job is to sell stuff and make a profit.

Besides, we see a lot of these sort of claims on these forums. But you don’t see or hear about the 100,000 or more transactions that go thru every single day. And it is this customer centric approach that Amazon has such a huge number of buyers.

Last I heard, Amazon has 144 MILLION active customers. Thats people who have money in their pocket and want to spend it. I’ll put up with the occasional questionable a-z claims to get a piece of that pie!

Bob

user profile
Seller_M04MjNuWAA1Xz

As a victim of a crime, you may seek justice in the courts. I would get all my documentation in order and file a police report. $750 in fraud may be a felony in some regions. Get the USPS Postal Inspector involved as well if sent by USPS. If a criminal case does not come out of the investigations, you can file a case in small claims court and seek financial relief resulting from the fraud. If the buyer is local, he can easily attend. But if far away he can drive/fly in. If he/she is a no-show, in most cases you get a default judgement. With the judgement, send it to collections and let them pester the heck out of the person until he/she pays to get collections off his/her back or the judgment off their credit report. Remember, you are the victim of a crime and are entitled to justice.

Don’t expect Amazon to side with you in an A-Z claim. You can try to file a Safe-T claim if it’s an eligible return, but I’ve not tried to on such an expensive item. On low cost items Amazon has granted 100% of my claims for buyer damage, though everything is documented well (returns processed under video). In many cases like this where the buyer sticks a knife in your back, Amazon only twists it to cause more pain. Good luck…

user profile
Seller_bZhOvnxJc2QWo

Isn’t it not considered new if you opened the product and tested it before selling?

user profile
Seller_Ybq5tjp6lrpjO

Before even engaging the customer you could have file a safe-t claim explaining that you received the wrong item. Document everything, upload pictures that support what occurred.

I’ve been reimbursed on many orders where this occurred. This allows more leeway in dealing with customers.

It is not guaranteed that they will accept this or rule in your favor.

If I were to be denied there, I would refund 50% not 40%.

Wait for the a-z and state the same case there with all the supporting evidence you have. Sometimes you might get a denial but most times it would be funded or debited for the amount from your account once it is decided against you.

user profile
Seller_g4xNL1B0ckJXh

Isn’t amazon policy is 50% refund? I could be wrong.
Customer is always right at Amazon after recent two A-Z. All these policies are in place for us to refund what we can and they will refund the rest with a ding on our metrics.

user profile
Seller_dPS0QinsNr1fC

Usually, scammers are found out. Just follow Amazon’s procedure and do the right things. You are not this buyer’s first victim, they have to have a history. Amazon will get to the bottom with your persistence.

user profile
Seller_Rv2MLPyv3lrV9

Hello to everyone, I have got the email from amazon.

“Please note that you are welcome to impose a reasonable restocking fee of no more than 20% of the item cost. You may also withhold the original shipping costs at your discretion. We would advise you to reimburse the buyer appropriately.”

So, I am not to going to argue with them. It is better to get something than nothing.
Thank you to everybody who gave me advise here.
I will post about the final result soon.

user profile
Seller_Z7JaOy0rHswIo

You should just file a safe-t claim and be done with it. Customer is going to file an A-Z and it likely won’t be a fair trial for you.

user profile
Seller_FlewEmibeVYkn

I have been selling online since the late 90’s and have had many different people try to scam me over the years in a very similar manner. You realize that Amazon, Ebay etc are not above the law. I have sent reply messsges in both scenarios letting them know that if they wish to continue this process that you were going to take the evidence to the police and file a police report. I also have filed police reports in cases where they wanted to keep pushing it. I have done this on both Amazon and Ebay over the years and when I submitted the actual police report, then I ended up winning the cases. The police report takes just a few minutes to file and will scare the scammers enough to drop or or at least prove to Amazon/ Ebay etc that you are serious and this is serious. Then you can report the scammer to IC3.gov - and I always send a message letting them know I will be reporting them to IC3.gov so that both the scammer and the platform get the message. Does not take very long to report this. Maybe 5 minutes.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post