Removal of Amazon’s generic size charts

In May, we are removing Amazon’s generic size charts from product detail pages on Amazon.com and replacing them with brand-specific size charts. If you are a Brand Registered Seller, we recommend that you contact Seller Support to create a brand-specific size chart for each Product Type. Brand-specific size charts provide detailed measurement information for customers to ensure a product will fit. This will improve the customer experience and help reduce size-related returns. Refer to Brand-specific size charts for instructions on how to create and upload a brand-specific size chart.

Okay.
Did you send an e-mail to all Brand Owners notifying them of this change and what they need to do?
You didn’t just make one topic in the Amazon Sellers Forum and think that is enough notification to Brand Sellers, right?
You did send all Brand Sellers an e-mail, right?

Please come back to this topic you created and answer my question, thank you.

It’s great news that the Amazon generic size charts will be gone.
But what about those of us who sell manufacturer’s products and are not brand registered? Amazon sells some of the brands we carry (though not the same specific items). Is Amazon going to upload size charts for these brands? And can we use them ourselves?
Can we upload a photo of the size charts that are provided by the national manufacturer of these brands?

Savage

Yes, we sent an email to Brand Owners who sell in the U.S. store. As we make this change in other Amazon stores, we will email Selling Partners who are impacted.

We think so too! Amazon will upload brand-specific size charts as provided by Brand Owners. If you are not a Brand Owner, you will not be able to upload brand-specific size charts.

You can upload additional sizing images to a listing and put sizing content in the description.

Dear Danny,

We are a brand registered but we do have a concern. we currently sell Women T-shirts and Women Tank Tops, both of them have different measurements sizes and size charts, but we were told by the amazon team responsible for uploading the size charts that since tank tops and T-shirts are both categorized under the same category in amazon inventory so we can only choose one measurements and it will show up on both women tanks listings as well as women T-shirts listings. and unfortunately the excel sheet they provided we can only edit few fields so we can’t add the two size charts to the excel sheet they provided. This will solve the problem in one listing and will create a bigger problem in the other listing that was few months ago though when I last spoke to them before this announcement.

it doesn’t make any sense to be able to only upload one measurements and apply it to all the different women or men cuts.

and we have the size chart images uploaded in the images section but as you know, customers don’t read. no one reads :slight_smile:

what are your thoughts ?

Thank you

Was this sent out as bulk email? I’m a brand owner selling in the US and I don’t recall seeing such an email.

Thank you for your response.

To clarify: If I have a jpg of a size chart designed by the manufacturer and sent to me, I can upload it as an image as long as I crop off the brand logo that’s on the image? (The manufacturer, naturally, included their logo on the size chart).

I doubt adding sizing content in our description will accomplish anything because the detail page always defaults to other sellers info. It may very well be that the size chart photo won’t show up either. I guess time will tell…

If the brand owner doesn’t upload the information, are you going to suppress the listings?

Although I don’t sell clothes I do buy clothes so I can think of an instance that describes this issue very well. In Mens wear often times clothes are sold in “athletic cut or slim fit”

Mens shirt standard fit size 18 chest size = 30,"
Mens shirt athletic cut size 18 chest size = 34"

Here is some text I found on athletic cut mens polo shirts
It’s a polo that provides more room in the upper body, tailored arms that hug the bicep, and an incredibly tailored waist. Darts in the back torso of this athletic fit polo shirt pull the fabric in, eliminating billowing and any excess fabric when tucked in

You can see in this example having a one size fits all size chart for Brands is not sufficient, right?
It seems that an easy fix would be to simply add one more column into the spreadsheet for “Fit” and Sellers can use this column for
Regular Fit,
Slim Fit,
Athletic Fit,
Husky Fit
Tall Fit
Petite Fit (we often see this for womens sizes)
etc.

By providing sellers a full and robust way to size their products the benefit to Amazon will be to reduce the number of listings.
Say there is a mans shirt, or a womans dress the Seller will make just one listing for all fits (Husky, slim, regular, petite etc).
If Amazon does not provide for the full range of the sizes, then Sellers are going to make a second listing for Husky fit, and a third listing for Petite, and a fourth listing for Athletic Cut etc. etc. because they know Buyers are search for specific sizing/fit and to get their product to show up they are going to list for a second, third, and fourth time.

Nail, meet hammer.

I couldn’t think of the right word when writing up my example, going back and changing Hefty to Husky. That is the fit that was not immediately coming to mind for me. I was close though…

And since I was writing a a man I deliberately used an example that he can relate to.

As you have continually demonstrated for quite some time, my ‘expatriate’ friend (you may not be French in birth, but you-know-who has done a fine job in rectifying/reconciling that “deficit” :wink:), you face no problems in conveying your meaning - even to dunderheads like me.

As I mentioned in the first of the Amazon News threads of 9May19, also concerned with this topic, I am pleased to find that Amazon is expending its clout in the global marketplace to bring some order to the chaos that currently prevails in the Apparel Industry - we have a property or two that were largely paid for by shoe sales before that chaos finally presented a customer service paradigm that we eventually proved unwilling to comfortably embrace.

IMHO, each of the concerns that you, MLM, New Good, and No Name have brought to the fore in this thread should be of primary consideration in the meetings of the Amazon Business Team charged with implementing this new-and-welcome initiative - and I have more than fingers and toes crossed that such sage concerns will ultimately prove to be dispositive…

Here is how I think of it. The human body is a fixed form.
To have clothes fit we measure the human body.
Measurements Fields of the human body are for example
Back of neck to waist
Hips
Bust/Chest
Waist to finish hem
Inseam

We don’t have different Measurements Fields of the human body, for a short woman or a tall man for example, a short woman or tall man still has body measurements of
Back of neck to waist
Hips
Bust/Chest
Waist to finish hem
Inseam

The variable is NOT the Measurement Fields of the body those are constants, the variable is the Fit of the clothing, so buyers can quickly focus in on their body type.

It’s difficult, I’m trying to describe in conversational words concepts of database design and computer programming. A column in a spreadsheet in practice on the back end, becomes a field in a database.

This is a use case that we are aware of and are working to address! At this time, we recommend using images and detail pages to provide customized fit information to customers.

I do appreciate your prompt response, and looking forward to have this issue fixed hopefully before the Christmas season starts. Enjoy your weekend. once again thanks a lot.

I sell sweaters. Some are cropped and hip length. Some are thigh-length jackets. Others are long sweater coats. But since all of those would be women’s sweaters, they would all share the same chart. I’m not sure what problem Amazon was trying to solve here, but they definitely didn’t solve the size chart problem.

I have been here before, and by developing our own sizing charts we saved ourselves a ton of customer service inquiries. I have no desire to move backwards. Must I participate in this program, or can I simply continue providing sizing charts with JPGs? I prefer not to put up standardized information that will confuse my customers.

Could this new format be useful for products like jewelry? My products receive a high number of returns saying the product is larger then they thought it would be, even though I clearly detail the size in my listing with images.

So then for you you would fill in the column for FIT
Cropped
Hip Length
Thigh Length