user profile
Sign in
user profile

Refund scams are increasing

by Seller_5CIfJJj8D1iim

I am wondering if other sellers are experiencing a sharp increase in bogus refund claims. Typically they use these excuses: “Order not received (despite tracking saying it was)”, “Package damaged (not)”, and “Product not as described”. Amazon deducts the cost of the order from us and does not require any proof or a product return, apparently.

Okay, so there will always be a few of these. But lately the numbers are maybe 4x normal, and when we look at the orders they are obviously sent by people creating new (usually single-name) profiles, who have never ordered anything from us before, and addressed to names like “Test” rather than a person’s name. And when we try to contact them we find (surprise!) they don’t exist… basically have opted out of receiving mail, etc.

If these numbers keep going up they will soon eat any (tiny) profits we make on Amazon. Anybody else dealing with this?

Tags: Address
111 replies
111 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_fY6dI71dCelqs
In reply to: Seller_5CIfJJj8D1iim's post

Yes! and yes…significantly more, this past week a total of 8, all trying to get free prepaid and squeaking about my 20% and prepaid label deduction for discretionary, arrived late (when delivered 3 days from order date, etc…

But no Test names, that odd, could it be your competitor?

user profile
Seller_nkBcHPWfscgWg

Not more than usual here.

user profile
Seller_fY6dI71dCelqs

and my Fav, Defective, when its not even been opened upon return…

Q? are you getting more poor reviews or neutral/neg FB? If yes id be leery of a competitor purchasing to try to get you out of biz, its been known…

user profile
Seller_ZDGgATBGegBqy

I had a problem of increasing scams late last year, from dropshippers claiming that the product was damaged or did not arrive. I did three things:

1. I held the line, insisting on a return before refund.
  2. I contacted the final customer, to find that the middleman was lying.
  3. I started including invoices, even when the buyer specifically requested otherwise.

The problem went away.

user profile
Seller_0txVq03QjK9Av

correct.
i had a buyer claiming item expired - which is a huge violation - and was totally false -

user profile
Seller_fY6dI71dCelqs
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_TiUO1OxM6nBSn

Returns/refunds increased dramatically in the last 2 months. Our problem is product that is vacuum packed. When customer opens it, decides they ‘don’t like the color’ or something stupid like that, it comes back as ‘customer damaged’ and we can’t get a refund or return to stock. So far have had them returned to me, but a huge problem with what to do with perfectly brand new unused product. Thinking of selling at the flea market.

user profile
Seller_fxc019DKiYhin

to be honest Im sort of new to this…
IMO this part of amazons business plan is haphazardly calculated. That is, for some item categories they make us sellers take a loss (OTC medications) even if the customer has the item in hand and says they didn’t receive it.

This is taking advantage of us sellers. This is the part of amazon that’s not on TV and what the public doesn’t really know about.

We lose our item, the referal fee, and the product charges… Isn’t it funny? The customer and amazon win, yet we lose.
. I’m here for the ride because at least 80% of people are honest… meaning you have to add in a loss before you start selling knowing you.
With that, I say amazon hasn’t worked out their system perfectly because if you charge an arm and a leg for certain items and customers return them, amazon will refund you enough to cover item cost, fba fees (including initial shipping per item), and MAYBE the cost of your item.

Example: Sold medication for 12.00, item cost was 2.5, shipped for .25 c each to amazon.
Amazon fee is 5.30 on this item. Point is if the customer says they didn’t receive their item you barely made 80 cents back… and lost your item. (so you lost).
If you charge 17. for the same item and the customer says the same thing, you at least won your item cost back (After paying referral fee twice essentially).

The only way this will stop is if sellers boycot amazon. Nobody’s going to do that… they’re big bad amazon.

user profile
Seller_FM4TuZBO1GUDh

We have seen a large increase in Product not as described refunds. We sell in grocery and this refund reason means customer keeps their item with a full refund AND we are not able to be reimbursed. Things we have noticed:

1. Some have been repeat buyers. Most are not but use full real sounding names.
  2. We buy wholesale by the pallet and on most work directly with the manufacturer with approval to sell here.
  3. Many of these refunds we know are not our fault. Since the manufacturers work with us, the descriptions and pictures are mostly provided by them.
  4. Our inbound shipping setup is pretty much fool proof. We do it all ourselves. No outside help. We have a 3 step checking method before we ship AND most of the time the shipments are large and ONE SKU. It comes from pallet, to labeled, to pallet or box.

Ive started emailing customers stating Amazon ships and we just want to follow up with the issue so we can better serve our customers. Ive had all sorts of responses. Most are complete BS.

Unless Amazon is shipping other peoples items which are not even close, many are lies. For example one customer said “You shipped me the Decaf version”. Issue is, that vendor does not make Decaf. Never has. So either this is a lie or Amazon shipped something else.

Another said we shipped them a dog toy. Umm… We have never, ever, ever sold dog toys?

We also see a lot more “General Adjustment” which is Amazons way of hiding the return reason from us and not reimbursing us. Many of these buyers respond to us and say that the items were clearly damaged by USPS or fedex.

user profile
Seller_W5TL1jvt3muTR

Yes. I received 4 A-Z claims in 3 weeks on same 2 items. All accounts had funny buyer name and different ship to name. The buyer waits until after 30 days to say " Not received". Amazon has removed the phone number but I was able to contact a few people on Facebook and they confirmed receipt and that they purchased on Ebay. I have proof now on 4 orders of fraud from this one Ebay Seller. I appealed claims with UPS proof letter signed and answered another with recipient who took a picture of item and tracking label on box and showing purchase on Ebay and Amazon still refunded the fraudulent buyer.
Amazon has been NO HELP.

Go to original post