Redirecting a Domain to an Amazon page (okay or not?)

Hello Fellow Sellers & Moderators

I have a question for you all, and I would love to know if any of you have done this in the past. Our Amazon store name is “Online Construction Products”. I have always been very careful not to put any promotional products in with our Amazon orders that led to our other website (which goes by a different name).

I would like to create a promotional material that I place in every order (Merchant fulfilled only). On the card would be our phone number for customer service as well as a link to our website. Here is my question. Would be against Amazon TOS to purchase a domain and set that domain to be exclusively a redirect to our Amazon store, and put that web address on promotional materials?

It is allow shorter than putting Amazon’s organic link to our Amazon store. At no point would this domain be used for anything besides a redirect back to Amazon.

I would love to get your feedback on this. Thank you all in advance for your help.

-Ryan

I am not aware of any policy preventing it, but I do not consider it to be a smart practice.

You should already be aware that Amazon advertises the products and you pay for that as part of your 15% referral fee.

In order to make a domain name worth while, it requires traffic. Traffic is not free. It may require Search Engine Optimization (which can not be done by you to Amazon). It requires links (which can not be done by you to Amazon). You could use some for of paid advertising, which only increases your costs, because you will pay Amazon’s charges regardless.

If you want to invest in a domain name and want to promote your product selection, specifically, you should look into establishing your own website. Amazon has an interface the MWS API that would allow FBA to be used or if you self-fulfill, every shopping cart based website technology would support that.

Then, those sales would only pay for the advertising you use and not also Amazon’s referral fees.

You can make your business multichannel, but you should not do Amazon’s job as well and pay for it twice.

Dave

closed #3